VULCAN

ATTAK Z

I've got videos of it flying a few meters above our heads at an air show. The thing was ear piercingly loud! :scare: I will post up videos when I get the chance! :thumbs: My favourite aircraft by far! The noise it makes is intoxicating... :cloud9:

We got an invite from Airbus in Bristol as my brother-in-law is in charge of manufacturing the plane wings and measuring stress tolerances etc :wacko: All employee's family were invited to the last show nearly a year ago.

They also showed us the A380 which did a take-off, landing and full throttle fly-by. That thing was unbelievably quiet!!

I also got to touch the Concorde :teeth::blush:

Living close to both the now closed RAF Sealand and the old De Havilland (Now Airbus) sight at Broughton, Chester we used to see Vulcans close up quite regularly back in the 70's and 80's. I don't think they ever landed but what an awesome sight they were as they flew over at a couple of hundred feet. Definitely the best of the V Bombers :thumbs:

Just looked up the Vulcan on Wikipedia and was pleasantly surprised to see that 20 or so are in museums and apart from the one that's airworthy another is capable of moving under its own power :)

Pete

As a kid in the sixties and seventies, living in the flightpath of Rolls Royce Patchway, Bristol, we became 'familiar' with the Vulcan's undercarriage and thunderous nlose at close quarters. Feck me was it loud. It used to have other engines strapped to it for testing. RB1-11s and the like.

Living close to both the now closed RAF Sealand and the old De Havilland (Now Airbus) sight at Broughton, Chester we used to see Vulcans close up quite regularly back in the 70's and 80's. I don't think they ever landed but what an awesome sight they were as they flew over at a couple of hundred feet. Definitely the best of the V Bombers :thumbs:

Just looked up the Vulcan on Wikipedia and was pleasantly surprised to see that 20 or so are in museums and apart from the one that's airworthy another is capable of moving under its own power :)

Pete

Yes that's correct, only one airworthy Vulcan left. This is being funded by a charitable organisation to keep it flying, as it is costing a significant amount of money to keep it going. A few famous people have invested a lot of money into it's restoration, as far as I remember one famous person put in the majority of the money. I only remember these details vaguely but I remember the amounted quoted being very large.

The guy who was presenting it did mention it's days are numbered, not long until we'll hear the last one being withdrawn too...

This photo with the date makes me think you are Russian Spy B)

:lol: it's my work camera .... got to keep a record :thumbs: .... should've taken the date off really

I wonder if the Russians ever had a 'Vulcanovski' in their arsenal.........................they had a Concordski and we know what happened to that :oops:

an amazing piece of technology from the cold war era, XH558 did a flying display at the air show on my base RNAS Culdrose last summer, such an awesome sound and advanced technolgy and design for its age, although with its high maintenance costs probably wont be flying much longer.

vulcan.jpg

upload to Photbucket as normal

put one up Lexx as an example and I'll use it to put mine up

An off topic vid, but this is something I uploaded to PB a while back, and then just copied the img link

th_IMG_0596.jpg