Potential purchase

Squee

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buy mine £7850.00 full history sorted

Any you can see the full history of the car since Magic joined the forum! Thats worth a lot in my opinion :thumbs:

:flowers::lol:

.......like the time he span it into a tree :scare::scare:

only joking :p

To be honest if it has complete history for the last 20k but not before I wouldn't let it worry you. The schedule is waaay strict for a Z anyway compared to other similar modern cars - 9k intervals! and most over spec the oil at service time due to the nature of the car so even if its missed a few I would think that any faults would have perhaps shown up by now. You are buying from a trader so will have the usual 3mo piece of mind warranty there. Of course use it as a bargaining tool tho!

Tracing history:

Nissan don't hold a central database of history for each car, as I found out! They will tell you the supplying dealer though. You have to ring individual dealers to find history....tough if you have no idea which dealer was involved...

To try and trace some history- get the V6 ref no and go on http://www.motinfo.gov.uk to get a list of places it had its MOTs. Also check the number plates for dealer / trader markings. Then ring Nissan dealers close to those places, you might strike gold.

I found a few of mine this way but mine remains incomplete.

I'd walk, but thats just me. I don't think the price is that good either. I'd only pay £8k.

Also, the warranty from any independent dealer isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Nothing wrong with buying from an independent, just go into it with your eyes open.

You're better off buying a forum members zed as you can absolutely guarantee it's been loved like an only child! :lol:

Good luck though. :thumbs:

Tracing history:

Nissan don't hold a central database of history for each car, as I found out! They will tell you the supplying dealer though. You have to ring individual dealers to find history....tough if you have no idea which dealer was involved...

Fair do's Nissan are one unhelpful, useless bunch of crapola!

From the info you have given, to suggest that it has missing service history is unfair.

From what I can see your 'missing 09' is no more than a late service '08 and an early service '10. Worst that has happened is an annual service has slid two or three months which is no big deal, assuming that the mileage was within spec. As for 20k in the last year, it's been in twice in 2010, Feb and Oct, It would depend what the mileage is since October but it's hardly been a stranger to the garage has it? You have no info for '06, maybe it's a similar case to '09.

For guys to be telling you to walk based on the specific service information you have given is harsh.

The Parkers guide price for this spec car (full GT spec) at indie dealers with 86K is about £8,400 (and about £7,800 for a GT without the extras)

Out of interest what is a full GT and a GT without the extras? We speaking about Rays and Sat Nav?

Massive thanks for your input guys - here's a copy and paste (in blue) from another thread of mine (being a bit greedy having two threads on the go - sorry mods!) with some more details on the car...

I viewed the car on Saturday and was very taken with it although there were a couple of minor bad points which I'll mention in a sec. I didn't actually test drive it - I was offered to but I must admit to being slightly nervous and am going back to do a test drive with my Dad tomorrow who'll be able to detect any rattles etc better than I can.

I was expecting to see quite a high amount of chipping on the bumper as I've read the Zeds seem prone to due to shape and was very suprised to see how good nic the front was in given it's age and high miles. Is there any way I can tell if the Nismo kit was factory fitted as the opitional extra? I've read conflicting reports that on the models which had the FF Nismo kit the seats and gear knob were meant to be Nismo branded but in the car I viewed it was the tan leather. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Bad points about the car:

* Higher miles than I ideally would have liked (86K) although I personally have a low annual mileage as I work from home.

* Car has done 20k miles in the last year.

* No services for 06 and 09.

* Somewhat tatty interior (what looked like claw marks on the inside drivers door handle?). Unfortunately car hadn't yet been valeted by the garage which would have helped.

* Smell of petrol when starting engine - other half doesn't think this is necessarily a bad sign.

* Small gap between bodywork and rear light on drivers side (being a bit picky here probs).

* Slight kerbing on all four alloys.

* Few scratches but to be expected on age vehicle and I know the black shows 'em up!

Also to note that it could do with a new tyre soonish and needs a P3 service soon.

Good points

* Love, love, love the Nismo kit

* Is the colour (both interior and exterior) that I've always wanted.

* Garage/dealer is about 20 miles away and car comes with 3 month warranty.

* As luck would have it a colleague of mine knows the bloke that runs the garage and a quick phone call knocked £500 off the price before I'd set foot in the showroom.

* Garage were very good at letting us view the car in peace and not at all pushy. Also more than happily gave us photocopies of the registration documents for us to check MOT history online (there were a few things it failed on in Feb 10's MOT but all delt with).

Cheers for the offer of going to take a look Pete - I'm actually meant to be going for a test drive with my Dad tomorrow - is there any more info I can ping your way to save you a trip? (I only live in Chester by the way :thumbs: )

Also cheers to those selling your Zeds who've sent info my way. I'm just so taken with the Nismo kit on this one!

S.

The Parkers guide price for this spec car (full GT spec) at indie dealers with 86K is about £8,400 (and about £7,800 for a GT without the extras)

Out of interest what is a full GT and a GT without the extras? We speaking about Rays and Sat Nav?

According to Parkers the optional extras for the GT are: Met paint; tan leather interior and 18" RAYS alloys (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-pric ... 0&options=)

Cheers,

S.

Cheers all,

I got a preliminary quote from Sky (as rec on this forum) and also getting a Zed added to our Admiral multicar - both were £850 (well, Sky was £853) but Sky has a much lower excess and I also gather it's a much better service. Sky told me they will take my years as a named driver into consideration as long as I've retained my old insurance documents. They also said they'd want proof that I'm a member of this forum. All things considered I'm pleased with this for my first car in my name.

The above was for a Zed (GT) with no mods (but will defo mention the Nismo kit if I get it).

S.

According to Parkers the optional extras for the GT are: Met paint; tan leather interior and 18" RAYS alloys (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-pric ... 0&options=)

Cheers,

S.

With regards to the "claw marks" on the drivers side door handle. Thats common on these too. Im guessing either drivers rings, or they open the door with the keys in their hand.

With regards to the Service History, im my personal opinion it all sounds fine to me, and would not put me off.

20k in last year is nothing really. Shows the previous owner just used it as a daily runner, in which case it must have been a reliable car. Over the next 12 months I expect I will do 25k in mine. Which for me is low miles as I used to do 35k a year. Those sorts of miles are more than likely to just be motorway miles. I think id rather have 20k of motorway miles compared to 4k of hard thrashed track day or weekend fun miles.

Mine was purchased with 2 years servicing missing but I'd spent a lot of time talking to the owner and he put it through a p3 before I purchased it. Was low milage though at 42k on a 54plate so thought worth the risk, also I got it cheaper than others of same year and milage so thought worth what little risk there was baring in mind it had been put through a p3. That said I'm overly cautious and put it through another p3 a year later getting my mechanic friend to do the work and will now follow the proper schedule.

Cheers RabbitStew & Cereal - much appreciated :thumbs:

With regards to the "claw marks" on the drivers side door handle. Thats common on these too. Im guessing either drivers rings, or they open the door with the keys in their hand.

Yikes! Hope having a fistful of soverigns isn't a prerequisite for having a Zed :p Is the interior of the facelift models as prone to these marks? They don't bother me too much - I was just wondering whether the owner was driving round with a big dog on his lap (a canine I mean for you dirty minded sorts!).

S.

my facelift car was pretty bad when i got it. I have added a few with pulling stuff out pockets or digging through the door pockets for stuff. Dont wear any rings so its just general wear and tear i think :thumbs:

Have you taken the zed for a test drive yet? :thumbs:

Not yet - I was offered when I went to view on Saturday but daft as it sounds I knew I'd get a bit too nervous with the dealer in the car so I'm going back with my Dad tomorrow who knows far more about engines than I do so will go for a spin with him. Bless him, he's even going to get his ears syringed in the morning so he can hear properly :lol:

Any tips or pointers for us?

Cheers,

S.

Yikes! Hope having a fistful of soverigns isn't a prerequisite for having a Zed :p Is the interior of the facelift models as prone to these marks?

S.

Yes, they are, both facelift and pre facelift, mine had a couple of claw marks when I bought it new. It seems that while it was sitting in the showroom (for 12 months) they failed to lock the doors, god knows how many people got in and out of it :lol: .

With regards to The Nismo kit, take a look at the rear spoiler, it's fairly easy to spot replicas, even good ones as they have imperfections and from certain angles you can see they are not that smooth.

Pete

Yikes! Hope having a fistful of soverigns isn't a prerequisite for having a Zed :p Is the interior of the facelift models as prone to these marks?

S.

Yes, they are, both facelift and pre facelift, mine had a couple of claw marks when I bought it new. It seems that while it was sitting in the showroom (for 12 months) they failed to lock the doors, god knows how many people got in and out of it :lol: .

With regards to The Nismo kit, take a look at the rear spoiler, it's fairly easy to spot replicas, even good ones as they have imperfections and from certain angles you can see they are not that smooth.

Pete

+1 The genuine wings contact the boot at either end. The height of the pillars that hold the top blade are different also :thumbs:

Have you taken the zed for a test drive yet? :thumbs:

Not yet - I was offered when I went to view on Saturday but daft as it sounds I knew I'd get a bit too nervous with the dealer in the car so I'm going back with my Dad tomorrow who knows far more about engines than I do so will go for a spin with him. Bless him, he's even going to get his ears syringed in the morning so he can hear properly :lol:

Any tips or pointers for us?

Cheers,

S.

Yeah, some simple things, check that the boot stays open on its own, those spoilers weigh a lot and even with the balance weight removed can easily decapitate you :lol: If it won't stay up you'll need to re gas the struts. Make sure it has a couple of keys, Nissan charge the earth to replace them and check that the wheel locking nuts key is present and of course check the electric windows are working. When you've been for your drive report any knocks, bangs, squeeks and other noises for the experts here to diagnose...most are very easily fixed :thumbs:

Pete