Why does this happen :-{ SOLVED.

Zugara

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person that gets in car, turns on ignition, turns off TC and drives off? (Except when wet or icy)

Can't believe that anybody leaves it on. :shrug:

I've had the car for 2 years and never span the wheels with TC off. All my track days are with TC off and the car is VASTLY better.

It worries me that people think the moment you turn TC off the car will spin in to a ditch and catch fire. It won't unless there are external issues, see above, or you are driving at track speeds on the open road which is, er, illegal.

Genuinely, if you think you need the TC on all the time, you need a different car.

(Not directed at OP, just an observation)

Big +1 what do you think the big powered skyline and supra boys do, they don't have TCS to hide behind. You buy a reasonably fast car and actually learn how to drive the thing, the people that think it HAS to be turned on at all times maybe should move back to there Golfs and Focus

:lol: I'm not saying I'm the dog bo**oks but I do find it cuts it far too quickly. I'm not telling every one to go turn it off at all times and drift the streets but if you are honestly one of these who are scared to push the button then maybe you bought the wrong sort of car :thumbs:

+2 :) All but 1 of the cars I've owned have been RWD and only the last two (Supra and 350z) have had TC. And unless the conditions are wet/greasy it gets turned off as soon as the car is started.

I too find that with it on it comes on far to early and the sudden lack of power is dangerous when pulling out of junctions etc... :wacko:

If, with it off, you give it a little too much beans and the wheels start to slip, it is still FAR more predictable and controllable than if the TC had cut in.

I would suggest that those that have little experience in RWD cars or are scared to press the 'button of death and destruction' should defiantly invest a few pounds in signing up for an airfield day or something similar to explore the limits of RWD traction.

Something like this would be ideal. - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50334

:drive1

not so much that the TC off means car spin all over the place which they don't (there is no way Nissan would have a big, easy to use button on the car if it meant instant death to the driver when its pressed) but as a forum we should be very wary that without TC there is a chance, albeit a small one, that someone messing around with it after reading this then causes themselves to have an accident.

that's what i'm getting at yeah, I'm just doing a rubbish job at expressing myself at the moment :lol:

I would suggest that those that have little experience in RWD cars or are scared to press the 'button of death and destruction' should defiantly invest a few pounds in signing up for an airfield day or something similar to explore the limits of RWD traction.

Something like this would be ideal. - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50334

:drive1

and that's a great idea :)

'button of death and destruction'

:lol::lol::lol:

I'd love to be with a Nissan sales rep that said "Yes sir all the refinments, ABS, Bose, Airbags 6 speed box and THE BUTTON OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION"

I Know :offtopic: but a great line.

not so much that the TC off means car spin all over the place which they don't (there is no way Nissan would have a big, easy to use button on the car if it meant instant death to the driver when its pressed) but as a forum we should be very wary that without TC there is a chance, albeit a small one, that someone messing around with it after reading this then causes themselves to have an accident.

that's what i'm getting at yeah, I'm just doing a rubbish job at expressing myself at the moment :lol:

:console::console::console:

Hmmm, strange thread.

Surely one of the main selling points of sports cars like the Zed is the fact it's RWD? That's what I look for in a car :)

I'm not so sure about turning the TC off every time I get in the car, just because I know how hard I can push the loud pedal on a corner, in a straight, in the wet etc without it kicking in. If I feel like having some fun (totally legal and safe fun) then I'll turn it off. I honestly don't think it makes any difference to the car unless you stomp on the accellerator too hard which causes it to kick in. In fact I KNOW it doesn't have any affect if you're driving within the limits of your tyres. Remember the pedal isn't an on/off switch :p

I agree with whoever made the point it an in certain circumstances be safer without it on, if you know what you're doing and can control a car with your throttle :drive1

No offence to anyone, but if you're slamming it from 1st to 2nd and TC kicks in (assuming it's dry) that is caning your car! You'll actually accellerate much faster if you change gears sooner - there's not torque at the top RPM range of the 350z engines, and change with a little mechanical sympathy, you shouldn't get TC kicking in.

:thumbs:

Max torque is about 5000rpm isn't it? I rarely get up that high when driving, maybe only in the instance I described earlier and even then it kicks in way too early. I have driven cars with TC plenty of times, the Zed seems a little too happy to kick in early though in my opinion.

Max torque is about 5000rpm isn't it? I rarely get up that high when driving, maybe only in the instance I described earlier and even then it kicks in way too early. I have driven cars with TC plenty of times, the Zed seems a little too happy to kick in early though in my opinion.

I found it kicked in too late and you ended up much worse off because of it :lol: TBH it was better in the M3, though, it's still too interfering half the time.

I think the worst thing about the TC on the Zed is how drastic it is. If it were more progressive, or less harsh it would be much better suited to the style of car. It seems to just cut power almost completely. :thumbdown: Boooooooooo TC...

It cuts the spark rather than reduce power or brake certain wheels, hence why it feels so sharp.

Tbh (and this is directed at no-one in particular) if the electronics are cutting in on you all the time then you're driving the car wrong. If you're smooth then it simply doesn't cut in at all.

Only time I have ever had the TC cut in is in the snow/ice and that includes drives like in Wales etc, as stated if you drive smoothly you just don't have problems with it. I guess why the TC is so severe is because the car is so tail happy if you drive like a tit, as Husky said how many of the 'accident' threads start with 'I was just coming off a roundabout and gave it the beans...." :surrender:

Chaps,

Let me clear the issue of caning the car, thrashing the car etc ,once and for all. :thumbs:

A. I dont do any of the above on a regular basis. In fact its only been a couple of times since owning the car, as a necessity to avoid an accident.

B. On the few occasions I have done this, I have NOT seem the TC light come on while the symptoms have happened, if I had, I wouldn't have made the post.

C. I asked a question regarding my particular symptoms. I thank you all the suggestions and ultimately a conclusion :thumbs:

D. Helpful advice is always welcome for anyone and everyone, thats why we are all members with a common interest, namely our cars.

This is not aimed at anyone BTW, as i have said I am happy that I have an answer from the forum which has now made me, and others,understand what is going on when the symptom occurs.Thankyou. :thumbs:

Just found this FYI...

Traction Control System (TCS) and available Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) work in conjunction with the 350Z’s braking system. TCS uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to detect if the rear wheels are accelerating faster than the front wheels. If so, torque is reduced to the drive wheels by altering the fuel injector pulse and controlling the Electronic Throttle Control motor. Working hand-in-hand with the ABS and the TCS, VDC can reduce engine torque or apply individual brakes as necessary to help stabilize the car under severe cornering situations or adverse weather conditions.

Just found this FYI...

Traction Control System (TCS) and available Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) work in conjunction with the 350Z’s braking system. TCS uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to detect if the rear wheels are accelerating faster than the front wheels. If so, torque is reduced to the drive wheels by altering the fuel injector pulse and controlling the Electronic Throttle Control motor. Working hand-in-hand with the ABS and the TCS, VDC can reduce engine torque or apply individual brakes as necessary to help stabilize the car under severe cornering situations or adverse weather conditions.

That's interesting, I didn't know the TC involved using breaks or anything as somistifacted as that. Shame cruise control doesn't apply brakes on downhills etc.

Just found this FYI...

That's interesting, I didn't know the TC involved using breaks or anything as somistifacted as that. Shame cruise control doesn't apply brakes on downhills etc.

Blimey shoves in the brakes as well, like he said, pretty impressive work from the Z TC system doing all of that!

Don't you need to keep your finger pressed on the ESP button for a few seconds to actually turn it off properly? Should I have said that? I tried it once.... as I was coming out of Tescos on to a small roundabout. I somehow managed to get the car to spin 180 degrees despite barely moving at the time, although it was absolutely throwing it down. Luckily it was late so the roads were quiet. :lol: