Highest risk of dying in a 350z.

nicon2k

I stumbled across this today:

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/iihs-suvs-safer-cars-nissan-350z-titan-drivers-highest-fatality-rate-52041.html

Its basically an information agency in America that has compiled a list of all fatal accidents (in the US) between 2006 and 2009.

They found that the 350z had the highest fatalities rate out of all cars.

I suppose it makes sense as the 350z is relatively cheap and pretty powerful, but still, i was always under the impression that they were very strong, well built cars.

I suppose it makes sense as the 350z is relatively cheap and pretty powerful, but still, i was always under the impression that they were very strong, well built cars.

They are... have you SEEN the crashes/speed/stupid stuff the American kids do in them? :scare:

They are... have you SEEN the crashes/speed/stupid stuff the American kids do in them? :scare:

To be honest the build quality of the Zed isn't fantastic, (Slim) after seeing the build quality of your fathers car (Merc) there's a massive difference.

I bet if you removed the drivers door from both vehicles. The weight of the Merc door in comparison to the Zed door I'd say could potentially be twice the weight. Why? Cos it's built for safety. I don't believe the Zed would stand up that well in a major crash, yet we all like to have some spirited drives.

That's tempted me to investigate the NCAP ratings......

Interesting:

There's no official Euro NCAP crash rating for the 350Z but all UK-specification models come with ABS, electronic stability control, high performance Brembo brakes plus front, side and curtain airbags. There's also a lightweight carbon fibre 'safety propeller shaft' which is strong, has no weak link and is said to be safer in a crash.

Its also not just up to the car. The type of person driving the car will also contribute to the rate of fatalities.

Unfortunately, i stumbled across this article with looking for information on an accident that happened last night. Two boys and a girl (19,17 and 18) were driving late last night when the driver lost control of the car and rolled it. The two boys are in hospital with serious injuries, while the 17 year old girl was pronounced dead at the scene. She had not been wearing her seatbelt.....

To be honest the build quality of the Zed isn't fantastic, (Slim) after seeing the build quality of your fathers car (Merc) there's a massive difference.

I bet if you removed the drivers door from both vehicles. The weight of the Merc door in comparison to the Zed door I'd say could potentially be twice the weight. Why? Cos it's built for safety. I don't believe the Zed would stand up that well in a major crash, yet we all like to have some spirited drives.

The Merc... built like a tank.. DRIVES like a tank :D

If you want to see scary... take the FIBREGLASS body off a TVR...

It's just a bunch of scaffolding...

And DON'T look at the NCAP ratings for the Zed... NOT a good idea.. specially with NOS! :drive1

It may also have a lot to do with how easy it is to pass your test in some USA states, there are courses which involve only minimal driving time but more classroom time!! As far as I remember, unlike Britain, you can pass your test in an auto in USA and then drive a "stick shift" as they call it without further tuition :scare: Oh what fun, you can just imagine it:- "Dad I want a 3.5 litre rear wheel drive stick shift car" "OK son" :doh::wacko:

maybe its the people who drive them in the US

maybe they are more dangerous than every other car on the road.

OR

what if.... in the US most of the cars are twice the size and made of solid iron, with a front bumper crash bar at about the roof height of the zed? = bye bye zed owner in collision.

without more details/justification statistics are just a bunch of numbers.

Good point well made, throw in a gear stick, 3 pedals and...................... :byebye::thumbdown:

maybe its the people who drive them in the US

maybe they are more dangerous than every other car on the road.

OR

what if.... in the US most of the cars are twice the size and made of solid iron, with a front bumper crash bar at about the roof height of the zed? = bye bye zed owner in collision.

without more details/justification statistics are just a bunch of numbers.

Well, I'd put the simplicity of passing The U.S driving test at the top of the list here and there's also the fact that the seat belt rules are a lot more lax. Americans are generally poorer drivers, the accident rates there are similar to third world countries....The very fact the country is so wealthy also has a big influence, over here kids aspire to a Nova/Corsa/Saxo, over there it's a Mustang/Corvette/350Z/911..... :shrug:

Pete

Well, I'd put the simplicity of passing The U.S driving test at the top of the list here and there's also the fact that the seat belt rules are a lot more lax. Americans are generally poorer drivers, the accident rates there are similar to third world countries....The very fact the country is so wealthy also has a big influence, over here kids aspire to a Nova/Corsa/Saxo, over there it's a Mustang/Corvette/350Z/911..... :shrug:

Pete

I will massively agree with lexx above!

As for here we ve got the insurance companies robbing us that's why the young ones can't get a fast car. 2000quid for a used wrx and 10000 quid to insure it!

Plus we ve got more police here than the communist soviet union keeping the number of accidents low. :)

Once again someone collates a load of numbers together and claims them as facts.

Stats can be used to prove whatever the hell you wanna prove.

All bollocks.

+1 given that the Zed is probably has microscopic sales figures in comparison to say a Mustang its probably some weird figure calculated back as an average if you 'normalise' all the sales figures.

.........christ what a load of bollox I just wrote!

My dad has an S500L and it doesnt weigh that much more than the 350z, also the doors are fairly lightweight as they are made from aluminium :p

Also stiffer isnt always better you could build a car that could survive any crash but the rapid decelleration would kill you. Its a balance between stiffness and stength verus aborbing the energy of the impact.

Im with Husky, in that most other American cars are about twice the size, two tonnes heavier and made of pig iron. The odds are stacked that the zed will come off worse in an accident with any other vehicle over there. Its no surprise that 8 of the top ten safest cars are "SUV's".

I wonder how much safer 18 wheelers are than SUV's? And how much safer Amtrack Locomotives are than 18 wheelers.

A report into pedestrians/cyclists killed by the differing type of vehicles would be interesting. Given the choice, Id rather be hit by a Zed at 20 than a Hummer. :shrug:

You can show anything to be true with statistics, but whilst this survey is probably a load of bollocks as Lexx has so brilliantly put, it does make you think.

Being low does not help as you could easily wedge one under a lorry :scare:

Once again someone collates a load of numbers together and claims them as facts.

Stats can be used to prove whatever the hell you wanna prove.

All bollocks.

Statistically this response is seen on 87% of this type of thread...

As for the topic of the thread, what a way to go, rather go through the pearly gates in a smashed up Zed than a Prius! Actually make that the depths of hell :headhurt: