How much is worth 350Z on 04 Plates with D cat????

GoralGT

Hi,

Just a quick question. Please can you advise me what should be the value of car with cat D?

It's on 04 plates with mileage about 60k with service history. It's a GT spec.

On pictures looks fine. But you never know B)

What would be the value of the car?

Not sure what is the difference in price 10%-20%-30%-40%-50% or more.

Ok

Found the pics:)

Before:

114040104x.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After:

unledgp.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The price is 5k just now but it's on ebay so can go up.

The owner was saying he bought it from a friend and when i called him he said it had one owner before him and it was a doctor :wacko:

Also When I asked for V5 no: to check it on DVLA website then he added info on ebay its got a Cat D...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MEBIDX:IT

Link to ebay :)

To be honest I wouldn't touch that car with a barge pole. Looking at the extent of that damage, it looks near impossible to get it back to how it was. The car will never feel the same again and problems will most likely occur in the future. Because it is a high performance car, this will be even more vital as the car will be put through greater stresses than a normal 'everyday' car.

I would go for a high mileage car at that price rather than a average mileage accident repaired car. You will find it very difficult to recoup the money when you go to sell it again.

No matter how good a repair would look externally, structurally the car will never be the same. These cars are built by machines which are calibrated to 0.1 of a percent, no human will be able to duplicate that...

looks like it needed a new wing possibly new door, headlight, washer bottles, some suspension work etc. as long as the chassis wasn't damaged badly it should be fine as long as it was repaired well. and as it was graded as a Cat D just means it was an economic write off, not a hazard write off. you just need to know what your looking for when viewing it to check the quality of the work. if you can take a good mechanic friend with you.

nothing wrong with Cat D's and the way the Zed price has gone there will be more out there soon as the cost of original nissan parts are silly that alot of zeds with minimal damage will go the way of Cat D.

price wise i'd be looking at about 4.5k to 5.5k for it.

To be honest I wouldn't touch that car with a barge pole. Looking at the extent of that damage, it looks near impossible to get it back to how it was. The car will never feel the same again and problems will most likely occur in the future. Because it is a high performance car, this will be even more vital as the car will be put through greater stresses than a normal 'everyday' car.

I would go for a high mileage car at that price rather than a average mileage accident repaired car. You will find it very difficult to recoup the money when you go to sell it again.

No matter how good a repair would look externally, structurally the car will never be the same. These cars are built by machines which are calibrated to 0.1 of a percent, no human will be able to duplicate that...

I can't really agree with much of that.

Yes it's been damaged, but it will have been repaired with new parts therefore it could be deemed a safer bet than a high miler with worn out parts.

Yes it will be harder to shift on resale, but buy cheap and sell cheap. CAT D's are usually about 25% less than normal. Therefore, most 04 cars are around £8k, so anything less than £6k for this would be a good price imo.

I'm confused to be honest...

To buy one with Cat D and use it for year or two or buy more expensive one. But I'm just worrying about the value loss.

I saw some advertsd that someone payed 10000-11000k 18 months back and now he can't sell it for 7500k

What do you think about non GT ones you can buy one on 04 54 plates for auround 6k sometimes below.

How did you find your Zeds? :)

If the car's structure/chassis was undamaged and only cosmetic items were replaced, then maybe it would be okay. But sometimes you just never know unless you work within the vehicle repair industry and have the knowledge to identify flaws, as externally the car may look immaculate again.

My opinion is to just avoid it and either get a higher mileage one (I understand some of you may disagree), get a lower spec'd one to compensate for the price difference or get a JDM version as they tend to be cheaper.

Just to add: Were genuine parts even used to get it back to it's original condition? Were corners cut to reduce the cost of repair? There is a possibility someone repairs it to sell on and make a profit rather than repair it to use personally, which would be done to a greater standard.

I'm confused to be honest...

To buy one with Cat D and use it for year or two or buy more expensive one. But I'm just worrying about the value loss.

I saw some advertsd that someone payed 10000-11000k 18 months back and now he can't sell it for 7500k

What do you think about non GT ones you can buy one on 04 54 plates for auround 6k sometimes below.

How did you find your Zeds? :)

All cars will more or less depreciate proportionately anyway, there will still be a gap in value between 'good' and 'bad' examples. Yes over time the gap in value between these cars does become smaller, but you would have used it for 2 years and it won't affect you that much.

I can't see 350's depreciating rapidly any more, they have already gone through that stage. Depreciation should slow down now.

It's like my 53 plate BMW 330ci M sport facelift, I only lost a few hundred over 2 years of ownership compared to potentially losing around 3k if I bought it 2/3 years earlier.

I would definitely recommend you get a non-GT over a accident damaged GT. People would disagree with me on this though...

You got to think about residual value in a couple of years time also.

The only real way is to drive it, or better still, get someone with Zed experience from the forum to look it over and test it for you. Looking at the rules for CAT D vehicles it seems that once its been repaired then all it needs is an MOT test to get it back on the road again.

Pete

The key thing with any accident damaged repair is who repaired it. If it was a reputable bodyshop and you have pictures / invoices to back up that it was repaired properly then that gives you piece of mind.

On the other hand, if may have been bought from a salvage auction by Bob the Bodge and repaired on his driveway using a combination of 2nd hand parts he bought off ebay on the cheap and no-more-nails. Believe me, ive seen it done. Ive seen some really shocking repairs people have done.

Resale value, well from what ive seen your looking at about 25% lower than normal price because of the CAT D. A lot of people like them because from the outside noone knows its accident repaired, so you get a nice looking car for less cash. Likewise, when resale time comes, you just have to factor in that you`ll get less for the car then a non accident repaired one, but the actual depreciation of the car will be the same at the end of the day.

CAT D wouldnt put me off, in fact I used to buy, repair and then sell accident repaired cars a few moons ago and had some lovely bargains.

If your in doubt, get an RAC or AA type inspection to look around the car and see that its all straight and there are no hidden supprises.

The key thing with any accident damaged repair is who repaired it. If it was a reputable bodyshop and you have pictures / invoices to back up that it was repaired properly then that gives you piece of mind.

On the other hand, if may have been bought from a salvage auction by Bob the Bodge and repaired on his driveway using a combination of 2nd hand parts he bought off ebay on the cheap and no-more-nails. Believe me, ive seen it done. Ive seen some really shocking repairs people have done..

It could also have been bought by Bob the enthusiast who knows the car inside out better than most bodyshops out there. The key is to check out receipts for all the parts and talking to the owner about the repairs, how they were done. If they were not done by a bodyshop, by who - what experience, knowledge of the car. Who did the paintwork etc etc.

Cat D's can be a good buy IMO specially once the cars get to the value the older Zs are because you don't have to do much damage for an insurance company to say it will cost 4K to fix when you can get all the parts new and sprayed for 1K and then just fitted if you are happy to spend a few hours doing it yourself.

While you will get less for them you would also pay less so its swings and roundabouts i.e. spend 5k and sell for 4k a year later or buy for 8k and sell for 7k a year later.

Dont agree with one word of this , cat d is light damage ,the picture shows light damage , as long as the car passes an indipendent inspection cat d will value between 20&30% cheaper cat c 30-40% cheaper & cat b (only to be broken ) 75% cheaper , ive owned 2 cat d's & 1 cat c & imo there great value , i would never buy without an inspection though , my z is a cat c & out of the 5 non cat z's i looked at it was the best condition & drove the best , because some people give it the barge pole there are some great deals out there ,if you buy it at the right price you will lose no more depraition than a normal 1 . :thumbs:

Im in between on this, personally at 70mph on a motorway I would rather be in a car that hasnt had cat c or d damage and repair (especially repair by an unknown person to me). I spent a good two or three months prior to buying my Z searching through PH and AT and saw a number of Zs which were cat c or d and they never sold anywhere near the asking price, I watched as the start price went down and down as no one went near them - quite a few like this where the owner 'didnt remember' to put on the ad it was damaged repaired originally.

If you do have one eye on selling on in say 18 months or so, I would say that a cat c or d with 80k+ miles on it will be nigh on impossible to shift unless you let it go for peanuts and a hefty loss on ebay.

Its not so much the depreciation you have to worry about, its the potential buyers, there will be ten buyers looking for a straight car to every one who will be ok with buying a damaged one. As I said, over three months I saw cat c and d cars sitting there at low prices not sold, at the same time watching straight (and especially GT versions) ones flying off the shelves, I missed two cars before getting mine as they sold the same day they were advertised.

Cat D is becoming more and more common as insurance companies are becoming less and less likely to fix cars. due to the extra cost of hire cars, medical and injury cover, its starts to cost alot to repair a car, and the lower the value of the vehicle the more likely they are to write something off as a CAT D for something minor than they ever where.

CAT D offers a good option in to owning more expensive cars, it just needs to be checked properly, and if your not mechanically minded places like the RAC and the AA will do it for a fee.

the myth of shocking CAT D's are a bit of a thing of the past, everyone is still hung up on what their parents grew up with and there folks warning against dodgy cut and shut jobs etc. Yes dodgy and bad repaired cars still exsist but there are still alot of good cars out there. it just takes a good eye to find them thats all.

and the comments on not buying a performance car that has had a repair on it as you'd be worried it might fail at 70 mph. you'll find lots of cars have had lots of work on them but you'd never no as it was within the insurance repair costs when it was done, the only difference is with a Cat D that the cost of the vehicle was less so they didn't bother.

i know of at least 10 cars on this forum that have had spin offs and had to have work done to repair them, but they weren't Cat D.

as long as good OEM parts were used (even 2nd hand) and the work carried out well; there isn't or shouldn't be an issue.

i tend to be alot more cautious of cars that need heavy chassis re work i.e. needing the chassis jigging etc. but even then, if its done properly its not an issue.

My personal view on this is that CAD D is harmless.

CAD D goes under as light damage, panel damage, broken arms, dents ect Not at all Chassis damage or any major parts, like engine.

The only thing that would depreciate this car more than normal 350z would be the repair job done on it. You can see from the picture that the colour match is not too bad so that a good sign I guess.

To find out more about the damage, did any airbags go off. If no airbags went off, I would say that at 5k it is a bargain, but being on ebay it is bound to go up to 6k +.

:thumbs: Looks like a good buy if you ask me!

Like I said, personally at 70mph I would feel better in a car that isnt Cat D, and thats a personal choice and happy to pay the extra couple of grand for, especially if I am not the only person in the car. Like you say 'if its done properly' so, if, it's not done properly then there could be a problem. Its personal choice, which is probably part of the answer to the original post, personally for me I saved up and bought one that had a clean bill of health with no previous, I could have short cutted to a Cat D but because of aforementioned reasons about peace of mind and also with half an eye on selling in a few years and being able to move it along more smoothly than a Cat D.

The pertinent point you made above which in effect contradicts itself in that 'the myth of shocking CAT D's are a bit of a thing of the past, everyone is still hung up on what their parents grew up with and there folks warning against dodgy cut and shut jobs etc' it was not so much a myth but quite true a few years ago but as a myth it cannot be a thing of the past if as you say people are still hung up on it. I am not saying Cat D's are not good cars, what I think is that generally people are still avoiding them, so come sale time you are at an advantage in moving your car along quickly if it is not Cat D.

I had a CAT D Golf R32 which was stolen recovered, no damage or anything like that. Bought for £9k in Jan '08 and sold for £9k in December '08. Great car, and it sold within days to the first buyer. People are always on the hunt for bargains so as long as the price is right when you come to sell there'll always be a buyer.

Cat D is becoming more and more common as insurance companies are becoming less and less likely to fix cars.

Yes, that's an 04 model, I just wonder if a 2010 370Z would be written off with a similar amount of damage? If it was repaired on the insurance then would it still be a CAT D??

Pete

Its not so much the depreciation you have to worry about, its the potential buyers, there will be ten buyers looking for a straight car to every one who will be ok with buying a damaged one. As I said, over three months I saw cat c and d cars sitting there at low prices not sold, at the same time watching straight (and especially GT versions) ones flying off the shelves, I missed two cars before getting mine as they sold the same day they were advertised.

The 1 on ebay seems to be selling ok , people like a bargain , anything will sell if its priced right ,the thing with ebay is things sell generally for there market value .