400+ HP from scratch

marcopolo

I don't think its just about getting the fastest car for your money here. Its more like taking the zed to its next evolution ;)

Can't believe I am agreeing with you on something :p

Most of the people with input have no experience of a well sorted FI Z & also have no idea just what it entails.

Then agsin, what do I know :yawn:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to say that the figures I quoted weren;t hear say.

They were based on the prices I was quoted from 2 seperate tuners when looking into a TT set-up :thumbs:

Hey Lexx, was'nt refering to you in particular but i know some tuners have really exhorbitant labour charges bordering on the ridiculous and if you dig around you will find other with even more experience and setup to do anything with reasonable cost to projects like this.

I don't think its just about getting the fastest car for your money here. Its more like taking the zed to its next evolution ;) With that said a with sorted 400WHP zed ill be a formidable car with looks to match.

I had a 550hp scooby and its was not fast round a track! The power was not fully useable the same way a 700bhp R35 is useless whereas a 500-600bhp variant is all round quicker.

If the guy wants to spend 15k to achieve this then we must applaud him and provide him with options. personally i think some of the figures bandied around wrt the cost are just plain heresay with real basis. You have to do your research and with clever spending it can be done relatively comparable to the other cars mentioned.

A 4.0-4.2l BC stroker kit with sleeves with appropriate software/hardware eg ARP fasteners, metal gasket kit, cams/ reinforced valtvetrain components, UTEC or Uprev will push out ~370FWHP. You then could either go with a moderate boost SC setup or mid/rear mounted fast spooling single turbo to reach a very safe/bullet proof 400-450WHP.

Some savings can be had here if you buy used refurbed sc or turbo from our US cousins or even locally when it comes up and some of the non-wearing hardware eg oil cooler kit, wheels etc .

You would have to address braking suspension, lightened drivetrain components, FD/LSD etc to complete the package. With carefully spending and labour you can get this in a £10k budget. If you put this in the context of an £6-8k zed you will see that its very cheap as there is no way you will get a comparable sorted R34 eg for that price. The cosmetic side of things can be sorted cheapily with the same shrewd purchase approach and good taste.

I would say man go for whatever you want as it is your dosh and dream. You will have loads of fun doing it

If you can build all that for 10k good luck i think it can,t be done for that money.

I don't think its just about getting the fastest car for your money here. Its more like taking the zed to its next evolution ;) With that said a with sorted 400WHP zed ill be a formidable car with looks to match.

I had a 550hp scooby and its was not fast round a track! The power was not fully useable the same way a 700bhp R35 is useless whereas a 500-600bhp variant is all round quicker.

If the guy wants to spend 15k to achieve this then we must applaud him and provide him with options. personally i think some of the figures bandied around wrt the cost are just plain heresay with real basis. You have to do your research and with clever spending it can be done relatively comparable to the other cars mentioned.

A 4.0-4.2l BC stroker kit with sleeves with appropriate software/hardware eg ARP fasteners, metal gasket kit, cams/ reinforced valtvetrain components, UTEC or Uprev will push out ~370FWHP. You then could either go with a moderate boost SC setup or mid/rear mounted fast spooling single turbo to reach a very safe/bullet proof 400-450WHP.

Am I wrong in thinking this is probably the final word?

Some savings can be had here if you buy used refurbed sc or turbo from our US cousins or even locally when it comes up and some of the non-wearing hardware eg oil cooler kit, wheels etc .

You would have to address braking suspension, lightened drivetrain components, FD/LSD etc to complete the package. With carefully spending and labour you can get this in a £10k budget. If you put this in the context of an £6-8k zed you will see that its very cheap as there is no way you will get a comparable sorted R34 eg for that price. The cosmetic side of things can be sorted cheapily with the same shrewd purchase approach and good taste.

I would say man go for whatever you want as it is your dosh and dream. You will have loads of fun doing it

If you can build all that for 10k good luck i think it can,t be done for that money.

This is Bennett though, hes on a different planet to the rest of us :p

If your handy with a spanner/fool hardy like me, try fitting the supercharger yourself and order it from america, if you have a friend over there get it sent over as a gift or something and its going to be around £4000 http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=117

well thats my plan anyway.

Atleast there is somebody who see things like i do. To keep the costs down you need to do a lot of the work yourself, do your homework and exploit ways to save cash each step of the way like duty etc :teeth:

For eg I got my Scooby up to 550hp for way cheaper than it customarily believed at the time by careful planning. I researched what i needed and started to buy both new and used parts required and was prepared to do some work myself and with help of a friend who was a mechanic of a known scooby tuner down south at his spare time. Yes it took a two weeks for the final engine build and tune but i really only paid for tunning and some appreciation to my mate. For me this is a hobby and not an exercise in wastage so i try and think about what i do and how to achieve it.

I have slowly achieved my zed goals with the same approach. I have been on the otherside where i just paid without question on modding previous cars and never was hands on but looking back it was not as fun as now and i would never go back to those ways.

I really don't care what some may think as i have done the maths including where to make savings and it adds up :p

I was looking at a car the other night that Mark from Abbey had installed an HKS s/charger on. Really neat job that looked factory fitted. I think that added around 100bhp (could be wrong there). I think without nitrous you'll struggle for 450bhp on your budget unless you do the donkey work yourself.

I have learnt from all my Chevy builds though, always use a known 'package'. Not matching cams to heads and comp ratio etc etc can lose you power.

Good luck with it, we all like a 'build thread' :teeth:

:teeth: I'm doing a forged tt build at the moment and looking to come in under 15k, unless you're looking a big big power you won't need the full return system but uprated injectors and possibly a custom return system. If I started over my Z build I'd do what you intend in doing, plant a wad of cash someones way and get it all done in one go. And do it with one supplier of the whole lot. There is a 1k hp build on here by advance me that looks tasty ;) Get onto the tuners that are active on here and see what they say. Keep it cheap and stay with standard internals and look at sub 400 for a safe tune or get a built engine, I looked at importing one from the US, seemed far cheaper then ripping out your old engine and swapping internals around. Also meant that you can use your car until the donor engine is ready to go in. PM me if you want the full load of what I'm doing at the moment.

:disguise:

Cheers guys, most of the advice seems to be get a fast car if I want a fast car. In my mad little world, I am fed up of pissing my hard earned cash up the wall and need another hobby...so making the Z a beast seems like an idea. I would love a GTr, but i know as soon as tuning parts start becoming available and more companies can crack the ECU crypto, i'd end up spending cash on that too. It's not about the speed, it's the sense of achievement that I have done it. As for a scooby, cheap power is easily come by, doesn't mean it is fun. They are like buying a fat ugly bird a drink at the end of the night; it's cheap, you get what you want...but you sure as hell don't want anyone to see you with her!!!

I think it's super Z - 1 ; GTR - 1!!

I had the same debate about how to achieve more power I opted to buy a ready SC'd Zed from another forum member.

I am now the 4th member of this forum to own this Zed!

Each owner has done a bit more to the car and a lot of £££££'s spent (I have the receipts)

My decision was based on finance and time, Quicker and it cost less to trade in my Zed and buy the next one compared to the cost of importing a new SC from the states alone! Add to that all the other mods - Teins suspension, Nismo ARBs, PF discs and DS2500pads, JWT clutch & flywheel, R888's and Kaaz diff etc etc.

But it hasn't stopped there. I have already done some cosmetic mods and will be well over another £1,500 with bits already in progress - remap, HFC's, oil cooler etc with more to come!!!

Bought not built - I love that. apparently I'm less of a man as I bought it ready moded, Had I taken a wedge of cash phoned Abbey, Horsham or any other car tuners arranged a time, dropped the car off gone back and collected it all done I am more of a man - Built not Bought. I personally don't see the difference?!

I'm not knocking people like Ian who did build his own! Without a garage in the freezing cold (nutter) and others, hats off and well done to you all respect is well earned.

I am married with kids and about half way through a major house refurb on top of a full time job and dads taxi service (2 teenage daughters!) So I went that way as it suited me and so the little free time I have can be spent driving and doing smaller bits.

It's down to the individual on what they want and how they achieve it, I didn't want a scooby my last car was a 911, I wanted something different and I love the look of the 350Z, I don't actually think it's a good base car to mod lots of faster cars, lots of cars that can be made quick cheaper and a lot of cars are easier to DIY mod (I was a mechanic in what seems like a previous life - 20 years ago!)

I say -

If you want a fast Zed get one built, buy one or build it yourself

If you just want a fast car buy something else.

If it's a stepping stone to a 370 or GTR get your mind set right and stop looking at mods it will drive you mad.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :thumbs:

Just my £1 worth it was 2p but inflation and taxes I'm afraid. :surrender:

• 2 weeks later...

keyser spot on. Personally Id say buy an decent R34 now and keep saving for the next 2-3 years once youve grown tired of the R34, R35's will have come down in cost and you'll be sitting pretty as the 34 will probably still be worth close to what you paid for it.

If I had another 10k sitting in my pocket right now thats what id do. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Earlier in the post I was asking for help getting lots of power from my Zed. I am looking to replace the cams and spring as the next engine mod, and the Brain Crower (stage 3) set keep coming up. Now, when I brought my car, the owner told me it was a Z33 JDM import running just shy of 300HP as standard with the 35DE engine. I am pretty sure this is the rev-up version of the car but I am not certain. Before I go and she out a couple of grand, does anyone know where I can find the exact spec of my car, as the owners log doesn't say and Nissan don't seem to know (or be bothered to find out).

I have also noticed that Cosworth do supply a kit, but there is a fair price hike for the name. Worth the extra lump or not?

Cheers