Assume the Zed sales market is dead as the Dodo?!

Lapz

So had my Zed up for sale for a month and a half and only had 1 chap ring about it who changed his mind before even viewing and another chap who asked how much a tax disc was and never heard back (excluding all the usual spam of "genuine" overseas paypal buyers, who have very interesting English!). After a month on Autotrader went and dropped over a k and stuck up on Pistonheads but heard nothing in two weeks. Tell me I'm not alone?!?!

Not that many people appear to be after big engined thirsty cars, just look at the ads on this site to see the numbers that end up getting reduced further and further. Quite a few 350s out there mean that it is a bit of a buyers market I guess or you can hang around and see if things get better. Dealer in a v.affluent village down the road had to drop his price by a good £1k on a tidy 05 to shift it.

Curiously I live near Basingrad and am looking for a 350z.

Thanks all, glad I'm not going completely mad!

As for the details it's a 56 plate GT in black. Got it on at £10,800 ono. Has done 60k but it's got full Nissan Service History whilst in warranty and since been looked after by TGM Sport Racing in Fleet who anyone round this way will know are excellent (I picked up the rec for them on here!).

Am I a long way out on price as I'm only going off prices I've seen on the various sales sites, which I now guess are possibly not selling?

I had no luck selling my BMW. Dropped the price over a grand below what other similar ones were advertised for so in the end I part ex'd it at nearly £3k less than my original sale price.

Strangely though, for weeks every sunset red Z I saw for sale at a dealer where I could do a px had gone before I phoned. I eventually saw one the day it came out in Autotrader, phoned him, reserved it then drove up at the weekend.

There seemed to be loads of silver ones for sale, but Sunset ones were snapped up.

I look forward to all this hassle when I come to sell mine eventually. When I bought mine a few months back I really struggled to find one! On auto trader it came up with about 4 roadsters in the whole country, one of which was snapped up and sold within hours. In the end I had to travel about 80miles to get the one I bought. Of the 2 I looked at, the sellers refused to drop the price even a penny, so I had to pay full price.

But, being the pessimist I am, I expect when I come to sell it, I will virtually have to give it away and make a huge loss.

Big engined cars may be less popular now. I know I certainly see virtually no zeds on the road around my way, and very rarely see any m3`s or anything like that. Maybe its the cost of servicing, taxing and running puts some people off? But then again there must be plenty of people out there like me who isnt bothered about this and is happy to run a car like a zed on a daily basis? I do see plenty of rx8`s, z4`s and litterally hundreds of porsche boxters most days however and surely they cost similar to run?

Good luck with the sale!

I know how you feel, i put my Bmw 335i on Auto trader and never got a call for 3 weeks, it was priced at the bottom end of the others on there and realy was a better spec, dropped it £1500 and still nothing.

Traded it on the zed in the end at a main dealers, something i have never done before but need to change, that was 2 months ago and theres still newish zeds in there for sale i was looking at back then that still havent sold

Great. Prob not selling for a while yet but i paid £12.8k for my 30k miles 2007 GT in black in Dec 10 so it sounds like ive lost a couple of grand already!

Saying that, this spec/yr/cond are up for between 12 and 14.5k on piston heads so they cant all be over priced. Jusr lack of buyers around right now but im sure the general market will pick up early next year.

Yours, the Zed-UK financial advisor :console:

Try selling an RX-8 then!

I've been trying to shift it since Christmas, and even when it's sold (deposit left) both time the buyers never followed up.

Ouch yeah, mates got one and appreciate makes Zed look like a moderate drinker and then you add all the oil costs in too!

Anyway off on the annual pilgrimage tomorrow, cruising around Lemans in the old mans Carrera 4 bound to bring a smile to the face

Sounds stupid... but a lot of people are put OFF by low priced cars....

(Myself included)

See a nice motor for bottom end if not lower than you expect... and you just skip over it thinking "Well it is obviously cheap for a reason"

See what I mean?

Dropping the price may not always be the right thing to do... bump it up a couple of grand.... MIGHT work! :wacko:

Great. Prob not selling for a while yet but i paid £12.8k for my 30k miles 2007 GT in black in Dec 10 so it sounds like ive lost a couple of grand already!

Saying that, this spec/yr/cond are up for between 12 and 14.5k on piston heads so they cant all be over priced. Jusr lack of buyers around right now but im sure the general market will pick up early next year.

Yours, the Zed-UK financial advisor :console:

PH is a terrible site to value your car...it free to list for a month so a lot of people list with speculative prices. I tend to value using autotrader/ph/completed items search on ebay then average it. I find I get the most responses from ebay when selling and PH usually just gets me swap requests.

I pulled together a spreadsheet summarizing Zeds for sale on AT a while back, at under £10k nearly a third are Silver, if you have a Silver one then you are likely to struggle to sell due to the competition. People actually put colour up there as one of their priorities when buying a car and will overlook some aspects of a car just to get the right colour.

Also if you are in a non GT car you are really up against it, I have seen non-GT Zeds for sale for months on end at reasonable prices, literally because for an extra £500-£1000 you get a lot extra for your money on a GT. People are paying a bit more for their leather and cruise control but also that they are also thinking ahead to when they sell it I suspect and ensuring they have the better version.

Can the market be dead when we see new members in the intro section every day? I would say the market is not dead for Zeds, you just need to have the right car at the right price being seen in the right place and there will be someone who buys it.

My old car is still for sale at a dealership, it was up for £14500, its now at £13500. They gave me £13000 part ex a couple months and i took the tax disk and K1 off which got me another £500.

My mates being trying to sell his high milage Rx8 for nearly a year now.

When there are so many low mile RX8s on the market doesn't sound surprising. There are buyers out there, just that with a fair amount to choose from unless you got the right car for sale then you are up against it. From a Z perspective, it seems a non Silver low miler should shift at the market price pretty quickly especially if sold privately. I wanted a low mile black GT, the amount of times I saw them go up on AT or PH and were sold within a day was unreal...

hmmmm out of interest, ive just looked on autotrader within 100mile radius of my postcode, looking at the prices, my car (at a dealer) is worth about 2000 -> 2500quid MORE than I paid for it earlier in the year! Thats just going on the asking prices, as i dont know what the "sold" prices are.

Guess it must be the summer increase in value which roadsters have or something!

Any ideas what a 2005 GT with 45k should be going for?

Unfortunately, need to shift mine as getting divorced :(

Depends on colour, condition etc. But looking on Autotrader & Ebay people seem to be asking around the £10->10.5k mark for that year & mileage.