95 or 98 Octane ?

ioneabee

98 - says so in the filler cap :thumbs:

TBH all performance cars made in the last few years will all run on Super (ie 97+)

bugger - thats destroyed my theory that going from diesel to petrol will result in roughly the same overall cost ie

lower mpg = 6p cost difference unleaded-diesel

never mind - i just won't tell the missus about that bit :lol::p

What's everyone sticking in their motors then - 97 or 95???

Must confuse to sticking 95 in mine. I used to always run my cars in 97 but since the prices have gone mental I eventually bulked and put the standard stuff in. When it starts to get more sensibly priced I'll 'upgrade' once more though.

Tesco 99 for me normally but any super unleaded if I can't get to them.

Have run my old 350 on 95 in the past and if I'm honest I couldn't tell the difference. Whether it would be the same for my 370 I don't know but I'm guessing it would.

There's a specific instruction in the manual to use 98RON minimum and only use 95RON in an emergency but just enough to get you to a 98RON garage. Abbey, I believe, are developing a map for 95RON.

ZedHead in Benbecula only ever uses 95 as 98 is unavailable anywhere in the Western Isles.

95RON will likely put it in the high det map (Abbey may be able to confirm) so while it feels fine, its robbing you of power, and the engine isnt running happily.

Stick to super unleaded. Yes it costs more, but its what the car is designed to run :thumbs:

What's everyone sticking in their motors then - 97 or 95???

Must confuse to sticking 95 in mine. I used to always run my cars in 97 but since the prices have gone mental I eventually bulked and put the standard stuff in. When it starts to get more sensibly priced I'll 'upgrade' once more though.

false economy, less mpg and power if you use 95

95RON will likely put it in the high det map (Abbey may be able to confirm) so while it feels fine, its robbing you of power, and the engine isnt running happily.

Stick to super unleaded. Yes it costs more, but its what the car is designed to run :thumbs:

Can't disagree with you but just can't get myself to splash out on the good stuff :blush: .

I'm not being arsey here but I'd love to see some evidence on this. Does anyone have any?? If you're right then I agree and I should stick the better stuff in. As far as I'm aware the difference has always been in people's heads as opposed to any factual evidence.

That said, whilst I didn't really notice when I changed from 95 to 98 (back in the day :teeth: ) but do seem to remember when I dropped back from 98 to 95. But, again, was it all in my head :wacko: .

Can't disagree with you but just can't get myself to splash out on the good stuff :blush: .

I'm not being arsey here but I'd love to see some evidence on this. Does anyone have any?? If you're right then I agree and I should stick the better stuff in. As far as I'm aware the difference has always been in people's heads as opposed to any factual evidence.

That said, whilst I didn't really notice when I changed from 95 to 98 (back in the day :teeth: ) but do seem to remember when I dropped back from 98 to 95. But, again, was it all in my head :wacko: .

Nothing very Scientific but last November I drove down to Essex, filled up with Shell V Power before i set off and reset the trip, filled up again with ordinary Shell unleaded on the return and reset the trip, on the exact same return journey I showed 1mpg less thats approx 4% worse, about 6p per gallon. Not very scientific but good enough for me to stick to the V Power.

Fuel consumption should be the least of your worries, this is taken from the owners manual, in yank speak and probably describing "pinking". That can't be good for consumption levels.

Using unleaded gasoline with an octane

rating lower than recommended above can

cause persistent, heavy spark knock.

(Spark knock is a metallic rapping noise.)

If severe, this can lead to engine damage.

Fuel consumption should be the least of your worries, this is taken from the owners manual, in yank speak and probably describing "pinking". That can't be good for consumption levels.

Using unleaded gasoline with an octane

rating lower than recommended above can

cause persistent, heavy spark knock.

(Spark knock is a metallic rapping noise.)

If severe, this can lead to engine damage.

This is what you should be really worried about. Hopefully Mark@Abbey can confirm what really happens if someone does this? Maybe someone who likes to run 95RON should get down to Abbey and see what happens :blink:

its says it in the filler car for a reason, its what the engine has been tuned for. if you can't afford to put the right fuel in it maybe you have the wrong car :shrug:

its like having a diesel and putting unleaded in it becuase its cheaper.

i reckon we'll see a few engines go pop over the next few years as people take less care of them than the original buyers when the cars were 30K to buy.

It's not that it's not affordable it's more a) I hadn't realised it could cause mechanical problems (I was under the old school thinking that higher octane just gave more punch but lower octane stuff was still fine) and B) as I get older the stupid price of fuel (more so the tax) just gets under my skin more than anything else.

And, I've not put diesel into a petrol car, or visa-versa...

...yet. But, I do double check about 5 times each time I switch between the X3 & 370Z :blush: .

It's not that it's not affordable it's more a) I hadn't realised it could cause mechanical problems (I was under the old school thinking that higher octane just gave more punch but lower octane stuff was still fine) and B) as I get older the stupid price of fuel (more so the tax) just gets under my skin more than anything else.

And, I've not put diesel into a petrol car, or visa-versa...

...yet. But, I do double check about 5 times each time I switch between the X3 & 370Z :blush: .

i must admit i have delibertly bought a performance car recently that was pre 2001 to make sure i was on the cheap insurance, and the other advantage is that its tuned for 95 ron, which swapping from the likes of the zed and the S2k is like getting a 10p a litre discount. the car may be a little thirstier, but its still cheaper :lol:

best keep it on 98 ron, other wise your engine will go tick...tick...tick...boom ;)

In what direction was the wind blowing :lol: .

I know, I hear loads of experience like that, but likewise loads opposite so who knows. I'll think on and maybe try some experimentation of my own...

A tail wind I'd been down for a 40th birthday party, I said it wasn't very scientific, take it or leave it.

Nothing very Scientific but last November I drove down to Essex, filled up with Shell V Power before i set off and reset the trip, filled up again with ordinary Shell unleaded on the return and reset the trip, on the exact same return journey I showed 1mpg less thats approx 4% worse, about 6p per gallon. Not very scientific but good enough for me to stick to the V Power.

That's because it's downhill on the way to Essex, and uphill back :p

I always use v-power though :blush: