which to pick?!

sasha@lazytrips

So I have a dilemma. Having booked a Chevy Corvette Z06 Convertible for my little trip to the West Coast, I then actually used a brain cell or two and realised that that amount of luggage my wife and I will lug around on a 2.5 week holiday is likely to exceed the purse-sized thing at the back of the car amusingly called the 'boot'. With no rear seats or any other useful storage space to speak of, it looks like I'll have to ditch the Corvette in favour of something more practical. I've narrowed it down to these three options:

1. Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe (2012 - latest model)

Pros: arguably best to drive, best sound system, best noise proofing (we will be doing a few longer journeys) & best interior

Cons: we are hiring a standard older Mustang convertible in the southern states, so might like a bit of variety? the rear looks a bit naff

2. Chevy Camaro SS (2011 - latest model)

Pros: Huge LS3 engine with some air pushed into it. Fairly mean looks, pretty nifty in a straight line, decent sound system

Cons: boring black colour (Mustang is blue with stripes & R/T is orange with stripes), poor interior

3. Dodge Challenger R/T (2011 - latest model)

Pros: looks like a proper 60s muscle car, decent interior, is orange

Cons: slowest of the lot (it's all relative...), worst sound system (again, relativity means it is still pretty awesome), apparently not the best ride, etc.

I really ought to make up my mind quickly before they go. What should I pick and why?

In terms of context, we're talking LA, Las Vegas, Arizona & San Diego.

Can't you get a corvette coupe? Know the vert has sod all space but the coupe seems to have a mahoosive boot?

Failing that, the camaro :thumbs: They seem to have toned down the mustang and the challenger doesn't do it for me.

The corvettes have been taken out of the fleet and only a few old (2008) and bashed convertibles are remaining. To be honest, it's probably a good idea to get one of the newer cars. The new Mustang is no Shelby, but is still pretty decent for what it is and is better than the others performance-wise.

I'm just trying to figure out what would be better to drive around on the Strip, crossing the desert and cruising along a windy road on the Pacific coast... :)

The corvettes have been taken out of the fleet and only a few old (2008) and bashed convertibles are remaining. To be honest, it's probably a good idea to get one of the newer cars. The new Mustang is no Shelby, but is still pretty decent for what it is and is better than the others performance-wise.

I'm just trying to figure out what would be better to drive around on the Strip, crossing the desert and cruising along a windy road on the Pacific coast... :)

There was another place called dreamcarhire which has vettes in vegas in coupe form. Just thinking there may be other options than hertz.

Honestly, the pre 2011 mustang wasn't that loud, the 2011 seems tamed down even more. I'd want something loud :p Mustang also doesn't have the looks for me. Camaro ss does.

to be fair you keep saying about the stang so i would just go for that its obviously what you want deep deep down

I was just mentioning that as we've got a few legs while we're over there, we're already hiring an older & convertible 'stang when we're on the gulf coast.

---

Overall, looks like the public is fairly evenly split between the Camaro SS and the Challenger R/T. The wife likes the R/T because it looks the nuts and is orange. Maybe it's time to go with the heart and pick a rough 'n ready Challenger ahead of clearly superior cars in every single way you can put it. :)

Camaro.

It is basically my current car in a different frock. Although I think the 2011 camaro is based on the E3, so you would get the magnetic shocks.

I love my LS3 engine, and the lazy V8 would be epic on long drives in the US.

The issue is that they all have a lazy V8 with around 400 horsepower, all have awesome sound systems, nada, nada, nada! It seems that despite having the best everything, nobody reckons the Mustang is a decent choice, but how do you choose between the other two! :bangin:

The issue is that they all have a lazy V8 with around 400 horsepower, all have awesome sound systems, nada, nada, nada! It seems that despite having the best everything, nobody reckons the Mustang is a decent choice, but how do you choose between the other two! :bangin:

Easy. Corvette is a gorgeous sounding sports car with pretty damn good handling and a fairly large boot whilst not being excessively heavy.

Camaro is a muscle car which will be great fun in a straight line and is a bit more practical, if you really need that for 2 people :thumbs:

Easy. Corvette is a gorgeous sounding sports car with pretty damn good handling and a fairly large boot whilst not being excessively heavy.

Camaro is a muscle car which will be great fun in a straight line and is a bit more practical, if you really need that for 2 people :thumbs:

The only corvette I can get is a convertible and from the pictures I've seen that won't fit even 1 standard size suitcase, so that seems to be out of the window.

The only corvette I can get is a convertible and from the pictures I've seen that won't fit even 1 standard size suitcase, so that seems to be out of the window.

Camaro it is then unless you can find a US company which does the coupe, like dreamcarhire in vegas :thumbs:

If you're going in the summer then a convertible isn't really the great option you might think it is. The heat in Arizona and Nevada has to be experienced to be believed, it's windows up and A/C on full blast during daylight hours...50 degrees C in Lake Havasu City when I was there, 46 C in Vegas :scare: couldn't even leave the motel :lol: . Great choice for The California Coast though where it's around 25-30 C most of the time :thumbs:

Pete

I got crisped driving to Miami in a convertible. I wouldn't bother again.....

I did the PCH from San Francisco to San Diego (then onto Vegas) in September and it's a fantastic drive in any car.

Whicheverone you go for will not be a disappointment. I'd let my heart rule 100% as you're not buying it. If your head came into it you'd be in a Toyota Camry.

Look at picks of them, watch youtube vids.... which gives you a semi is the winner! :thumbs:

If you're going in the summer then a convertible isn't really the great option you might think it is. The heat in Arizona and Nevada has to be experienced to be believed, it's windows up and A/C on full blast during daylight hours...50 degrees C in Lake Havasu City when I was there, 46 C in Vegas :scare: couldn't even leave the motel :lol: . Great choice for The California Coast though where it's around 25-30 C most of the time :thumbs:

Pete

Was 50 degrees in needles also when I was there. It's like jumping out into an oven when you get out of the car :lol:

Though, san francisco is pretty cool in summer.