Maserati Gran Sport

Ian

As a couple of you know I went to test drive this today as a possible Z replacement. Just thought I'd give it a little review :)

This is compared to my car in both N/A & FI forms :)

Exterior

There really isnt an angle that this car looks bad from. Absolutley stunning in the flesh & the red paint looked amazing in the sunshine B) There were a few let downs with the bodywork though, there were the usual stone chips on the front bumper & bonnet that I can live with & are acceptable really on a car like this IMO. What I didn't like though was the rear bumper - there were 2 deep scratches & also a spider crack which was quite large. Maybe dropped something getting it out of the boot onto it? maybe a rear end collision?

Really like the wheels though, suit the car perfectley :)

2723455-1.jpg

2723455-2.jpg

2723455-3.jpg

2723455-4.jpg

2723455-5.jpg

2723455-9.jpg

Interior

Stunning. Much more grown up & classier than the the Z. Seats are very comfortable & even the back seats are useable for a 6ft+ adult. Centre console is made from Carbon fibre & theres carbon & leather everywhere. Only slight complaint is the brake pedal is huge & too close to the accelerator pedal other than that its a very nice place to be - no rattles either which is a bonus :D Steering wheel was also part carbon fibre & was shaped a bit strangely but it meant that you have full view of the dials while driving.

2723455-7.jpg

2723455-6.jpg

The Drive

This is where I felt a bit disappointed. Its fast, very fast infact. Faster than my SC Z even considering its got less power & weighs nearly 1800 KGS but you never felt like you were going fast although the rev counter seems to move at an insane speed :lol: . There was no rush, no urgency - it just seemed to deal with everything without breaking a sweat. It handles really well, chucked it into a few roundabouts at speed & also a few country lanes and the grip was phenomenal. Paddle shifts felt slow and jerky in lower gears & around town - out on the fast roads though they were awesome, Also when pulling away from traffic lights & roundabouts there is a slight delay while the car figures out that you want to accelerate.My left leg spent the entire test drive going spazzy with nothing to do :lol: Brakes were very good also. Once you press the sport button it opens the valves in the exhaust & the noise is just :cloud9: especially when it blips the throttle on the down change :cloud9: I think with a decent aftermarket exhaust nothing would match the noise of it.

2723455-8.jpg

Despite this it just left me feeling a bit "meh" about it. It looks, sounds & drives amazingly - it just didn't excite me. I can't quite put my finger on why though, it just felt like it was missing something

Will I get one? I honestly don't know but if I do I doubt it will be this one. Despite having a FSH, its on 45K miles & still on the original clutch which is slightly worrying & a potential big bill - i also really want a blue one. At one point last week it was the favourite but just latley the R34 has regained the favourite spot :blush: I'm hoping to try a 4200 this week with a manual box & see if that excites me anymore - I also need to test another GTR after the last one I drove was a bag of nails.

Overall its a much more grown up car than the Z/GTR & its a good chance to tick the Italian & V8 boxes on my list :lol: I'm still very tempted by them & I think that over a period of time I could learn to love it, especially as the gearbox learns from your driving style.

They've offered me £8k for my Z which I think is a pretty good offer & theres possibly more to come off the price they want for the car.

The first time I drove a Z I knew instantly that I wanted the car - I've not driven anything since that makes me feel that way & can still make me giggle like a school girl :blush:

*Pictures nicked off PH

Completely off topic, but how does it feel driving around in a N/A Zed after you were super charged. Does it feel slow as hell or do you still enjoy it?

Re the Mazzer, they are beautiful cars, but more a grand tourer than sports car. That's an accusation sometimes levied at the Zed, but I think the Zed is much sportier. I imagine the Mazzer is a car you would aspire to drive once you're the wrong side of 40.

Still love it :cloud9:

I actually prefer it :blush: Its comfortable, quiet, I'm not spending my entire time looking at gauges & listening for noises, I can hear the radio, I can actually have a conversation now :lol:

I miss the extra power but its a much more bearable car to drive now. That being said, I'm pleased that I did it & I don't regret it for one minute and TBH I'd probably do it again given the chance :lol:

Running is cheap after a sc Z or R34 ;) Gets about the same fuel consumption :lol:

Servicing & parts are a bit more. mods are quite reasonably priced though :ninja:

Would love a Vette but out of my budget :(

Gran Sports are pretty reliable (or so I've been informed :lol: ) Parts are quite reasonable, they are common with a few Alfas so much cheaper to buy the Alfa part :lol:

Viper is out of budget, Maserati is already at the top end of it :(

Both :lol:

Got roughly 25k to play with but would prefer to spend less to leave some funds for mods :ninja: No real requirements, just has to be loud, cool & not very practical :D

My shortlist is R34 GTR, Maser Gran Sport, 911 of some sort (they all much of a muchness :p)

Extended shortlist has included - RX7, Impreza, Evo 9, M3, R32 GTR, R33 GTR, NSX, Noble, Supra TT & a Tuscan :lol:

Not that I'm indecisive or anything :blush:

Both :lol:

My shortlist is R34 GTR, Maser Gran Sport, 911 of some sort (they all much of a muchness :p)

Extended shortlist has included - RX7, Impreza, Evo 9, M3, R32 GTR, R33 GTR, NSX, Noble, Supra TT & a Tuscan :lol:

Not that I'm indecisive or anything :blush:

Awww :lol: Interesting you like corvettes but not mustangs... Question about this vette though:

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/2580762.htm

911's all look the same to me but don't tell ekona :p:lol: Imprezas and evo's don't interest me, RX7 could be hella fun, M3 I got bored with (unless it's a CSL it's boring imo), oooo NSX, noble (hah, guy has one, it's pretty much £2k whatever it goes in for), supra well fun as hell but not sure I'd want one, tuscan sound magnificent but probably instant death :lol:

you buy a Maserati ..... because its a maserarti, in the same way you would buy a mustang. Im sure the maserati would drive like a GT car would. But if you wanted a sports car then buy a second hand 360 or a porsche or something.

Ive been looking around too but theres nothing worth changing to imo. everything i like is too exspensive.

GTR's are dropping in price really quickly so it wont be long until there around 30k.

oh yeh, whys one of my posts on the bottom of your sig? :)

you buy a Maserati ..... because its a maserarti, in the same way you would buy a mustang. Im sure the maserati would drive like a GT car would. But if you wanted a sports car then buy a second hand 360 or a porsche or something.

Ive been looking around too but theres nothing worth changing to imo. everything i like is too exspensive.

GTR's are dropping in price really quickly so it wont be long until there around 30k.

Because its one of the most epic sentences ever posted on this forum :#1:

..........and its been paraphrased in my piccie of some duckies here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48717

Ian stop being a king tard and get a TVR.

If your going to get an amazing looking, ludicrously fast, totally unreliable car the TVR Tuscan has to be at the top of everyones list.

That Mazza is dull :thumbdown: You'll be bored in 5 mins flat.

If your going to get an amazing looking, ludicrously fast, totally unreliable car the TVR Tuscan has to be at the top of everyones list.

:lol::lol::lol:

Think the one I saw had carbon can exhausts, sounded :cloud9:

..........and its been paraphrased in my piccie of some duckies here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48717

But in the TVR I'll be dead in 5 minutes flat :lol: