VQ35DE/HR swappy swappy

marcopolo

Hi guys

I have and 03 JDM import with the standard 300hp VQ35DE lump. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the intake system with that of the HR. From what I can find out, the engines are identical in the physical size and shape sense. And would the standard ECU need to be replaced or could it be re-mapped to accommodate the additional intake??

Or would it simply be easier to swap out the complete engine and all associated components for power gains??

Cheers

A 2003 Import won't have a 300bhp engine as standard.

Not sure of all the differences with the HR but I would imagine it is slightly more than just changing the air intake and tweaking the ECU, sure someone more technical can confirm :thumbs:

As for swapping the whole engine for power gains that would be a huge expense for very little return, much better to just remap the car as it is along with a few well chosen mods or sell it and buy an HR :thumbs:

Not possible.

The HR engine was a totally new design, hence the two intakes.

The money you'd pay for a HR lump and having it installed and tuned etc, it's be cheaper to SC your car and get it upto about 380bhp....

as above.

an engine swap to a 370Z engine is a more sensible idea yet still a giant pain in the arse

Not possible.

The HR engine was a totally new design, hence the two intakes.

The money you'd pay for a HR lump and having it installed and tuned etc, it's be cheaper to SC your car and get it upto about 380bhp....

+1 it would be nice to able to swap the intakes but it wouldn't stop there, which has already been discussed. You'd need to swap out upper and lower plenum, intakes, ecu and more :blink:

As Sarnie says, for the time and money slapping a SC would give you FAR better gains. If you want to increase power cheaply whack some NOS in!

Hi Guys,

inlet port design is different on the HR motor so the DE/REV UP wont take the HR plenum at all.

Re fitting a HR into a DE/REV UP car isnt a bad job but you need a gearbox/engine complete, engine wiring loom , dash clocks ( due to the extra rpm the HR runs) and ECU.

1 interesting fact you boys might like to know the 370 VHR motor , the short motor i.e block size is the same size as the HR motor ( the increase in capacity does make any difference to block size) so the VHR bottom end will fit with HR top end parts so you can have a 3.7 ltr HR pretty easily.

Agree plenum spacer panel filter and a remap will make your 28 bhp car go far better.

Mark

Fairly straight forward upgrade. :thumbs:

All parts required in stock and good to go. :yahoo:

Out of a 5000 mile January 2009 350Z

HR Engine complete with all ancillaries.

Gearbox complete.

Flywheel and clutch complete with concentric slave.

Wiring loom.

ECU.

Twin air intake boxes and MAF housings and sensors complete.

Alex. :)

I have 2 x 370z engines in stock :thumbs: they are mated to spd manual box and I can supply full loom etc. The 313 engine mod is not worth doing unless your planning twin turbo then it is ideal for 500hp running stock internals :thumbs:

If I was you I would go and get the remap etc at Abbey and see how you like the feel. Pointless spending all that cash unless you have to on engine swaps :surrender: Also if your JDM is an 'ST' model it will have more power than stock but not sure which year they were produced. I am sure one of the JDM boys will know though :thumbs:

Hi guys

I have and 03 JDM import with the standard 300hp VQ35DE lump. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the intake system with that of the HR. From what I can find out, the engines are identical in the physical size and shape sense. And would the standard ECU need to be replaced or could it be re-mapped to accommodate the additional intake??

Or would it simply be easier to swap out the complete engine and all associated components for power gains??

Cheers

Urm.... think you owe me John! :thumbdown:

Like you ever pay out on bets lee :p

I'm sure you owe me about 5 pints now

-You missed my birthday bash (i said you would) = 1 pint

-you missed lads night (i said you would) = 1 pint

-I said you wouldn't phone me back (on three seperate occasions you agreed a pint that you would), you didn't = 3 pints

need i go on :p:lol: