Quick Headlight Cleanup

spursmaddave

Thanks to Glrnet for the tip here :thumbs:

If your headlights are not looking their best, bit of peeling etc then you can sand them down and polish them up.... or you can do it the easy way :teeth:

With some Megs Metal polish

meg_nxtmetal_MED.jpg

Not sure if these pics do it justice and to be fair my headlights are probably worse than most given the mileage of my car :surrender:

Right done, left not done

img0161bi.jpg

Closer done

img0162j.jpg

Closer not done

img0163g.jpg

£33 quid to clean ya headlights. The metal polish sounds a good alternative if it doesn't swirl

indeed :lol:

but hey, you could give it to your missus as perfume afterward :teeth:

I would agree though, for a single set of lights it is rather pricey, the pot will likely last me hundreds of sets as you hardly use any.

Yeah done by hand with just a little microfibre pad thing and a polishing cloth. I only spent about 10 minutes really and they could be better, might have to give them a slight sanding as like I said my car done a few miles :lol:

No swirl marks Mike, Graham is better placed to explain but he used some autosol on some perspex and it left marks so it must be a bit more abrasive but the Megs left no marks whatsoever :thumbs:

Yep, did mine on Sunday, I had an old piece of perspex in the garage and tried Autosyl and the Megs Metal Polysh on it, with an LED torch behind it you could see light swirls from the Autosyl but virtually nothing with the Megs, I just used a brand new soft polishing cloth to apply and to buff by hand and they came up super shiney. :thumbs: I've posted an update in the "how to" in the guides section for reference but it's as simple as above. :)

Yeah done by hand with just a little microfibre pad thing and a polishing cloth. I only spent about 10 minutes really and they could be better, might have to give them a slight sanding as like I said my car done a few miles :lol:

No swirl marks Mike, Graham is better placed to explain but he used some autosol on some perspex and it left marks so it must be a bit more abrasive but the Megs left no marks whatsoever :thumbs:

That's not true, you did your mirror closing relay almost unaided ;):)

I've posted an update in the "how to" in the guides section for reference but it's as simple as above. :)

If I can do it then it MUST be simple :blush:

Bloody hell, you'll be opening the bonnet next :lol:

That's not true, you did your mirror closing relay almost unaided ;):)

I've posted an update in the "how to" in the guides section for reference but it's as simple as above. :)

If I can do it then it MUST be simple :blush:

I just fitted a carbon lip too... B)

I have just worn my index fingers down to the knuckles, but I think it was worth it :yahoo:

Thanks to Glrnet for the top tip :#1:

Here are some pics of my rubbing in progress. You can really see the difference

cloudy01.jpg

cloudy02.jpg

Finished for today......they will need another go.... maybe next week :lol:

cloudy03.jpg

cloudy04.jpg

Thanks Dave :thumbs:

Took about 35-40 minutes per light, don't know about you but I found the more liberal I was with the polish the better the results.

Fingers are very sore now :dummy:

I didn't go too mad on mine as I do have to give them a sanding as they are pretty bad :headhurt:

Have you tried some windolene on your Milltek ;)

• 3 months later...

Thanks to all your advice the decision as to which metal polish should replace my empty tube of autosol was easy.

Got the Megs metal polish today.

Just finished polishing passenger side headlight. Took a while by hand but no swirls and came up a treat.

Passenger side catches the afternoon sun and was twice as bad as driver side, but now looks 100x better than driver side.

In 10 years time when I finish the tub of Megs I'll know where to look for advice on a replacement :lol:

Thanks to all your advice the decision as to which metal polish should replace my empty tube of autosol was easy.

Got the Megs metal polish today.

Just finished polishing passenger side headlight. Took a while by hand but no swirls and came up a treat.

Passenger side catches the afternoon sun and was twice as bad as driver side, but now looks 100x better than driver side.

In 10 years time when I finish the tub of Megs I'll know where to look for advice on a replacement :lol:

Glad you like the tip :thumbs:

I need to get polishing as I have one brand new headlight and one that need a good polish :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

until I read a thread the other day (don't think it was this one.......) I thought my headlights were misting up inside starting at the outer edge. Spent about 5 minutes with some megs metal polish on them last night and now they are fine! Felt a bit of a div for not realising it was on the outside but if you've got it on yours you'll know what I mean........