Drivers side door wont open.

D0rzi

Moved.

Do you feel any resistance when trying to open the door from the handles? (internal and external).

I seem to remember someone once having this problem, I'm sure the more clever people will be along shortly :thumbs:

No it feels like it should open. At first i thought someon had glued it closed but after further investigation it seems quite a common thing. Whatever is wrong with it it seems i need to take off my door handles to find out but the problems lies in getting the door open to do this.

I think you can take quite a bit of the door car fixings away with the car door shut, enough to open a gap and pull the release manually, but I'll wait for someone to confirm before telling you thats the way to go.

If you follow this link - http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/ - it will take you to the service manual for the car (if you dont already have it) and that will help show you where you need to get to and where the fixings are.

• 1 year later...

My drivers door won't open, Noooooo. NIGHTMARE! MOT tomorrow. I was parked right up to my hedge as well so had to climb in the boot to move it out. There is no resistance in the handles so I suspect something is broken in the mechanism. i can hear the locks moving when i blip the key so its not that.

Anyone know if i can get my MOT done with this problem? :scare:

I have a bad feeling it wouldn't pass - restricted egress in an emergency, aside from the which a tester may refuse to clamber around. Best to give the MOT station a call.

See Chris'I's post above with the links that hopefully will help sort out the door issue.

Hmmm. Got all of the screw out of the door card but i don't think it can physically come off without the door being open as it goes between the door panel and the B pillar. (at least it looks this way on the passenger one.)

Got a feeling that the door card will have to be cut or drilled or something so that i can get to the mechanism. :shrug:

I'm not going to do that tonight though. If any of you can think of a solution to this before tomorrow please speak up and i will forever be in your debt. :blush:

it will come out mate just give it a good hard tug the bottom usually comes out first so you should be able to try and lift the door card up and then pull the bottom out or maybe a long flat screwdriver in a towel to leaver it up? The bottom of the door has pop rivets on it so it would just be a case of getting enough pressure on it.. I'm just trying to remember if the door card hits the sill when closed..

Had this happen to my drivers door, could hear the central locking unlock but no restistance from external or internal door handles, fixed with a coat hanger and a torch, put window right down, push apart the strip on the top of the door look down and you will see a blue (mine was blue but have seen them in white) thing plastic that looks like its in a metal column, push down on it until you hear a slight click, use the inside manual lock/unlock button and if it is fully depressing for unlock your door should open.

Feel for you and also roddymcleantattooer : http://www.350z-uk.c...mcleantattooer/

Dig a bit of a history search on here. No doubt this is not an uncommon issue and invariably crops up when the weather gets colder and has generally been put down to the mechansim seizing and having cleared the problem and a regrease that appears to have solved the problems, although sadly the feedback from those having the problem about how they sorted it has been poor.............. :thumbdown: Something I feel we need to encourage more.

Moving on.......those that did say how they got in is the way ZMANALEX has shown, although bent coathangers have also done the necessary :scare:

Jixaman provided the best answer:

http://www.350z-uk.c...hl__+door +lock

This guide showing the door handle removal and have quality pics of how it works might help:

http://www.350z-uk.c...hl__+door +lock

And this excellent guide by SteveW relating to the electric window repair guide, but also has some good info and visuals to hopefully help you through what is what and how to do some of the removal and replacement:

Electric window repair guide.pdf

Hope that helps you and roddymcleantattooer and PLEASE do let us know how you got on resolving the problem as you certainlt are not the first and will certainly not be the last :thumbs:

Well. I tried most methods that were shown but couldn't fix it. it was about 11:00, dark and started to rain. Also i think my neighbours thought someone was trying to steal my car so I called it a night. The mechanic at the MOT test station (after laughing at me getting out of the passenger door) got it open and fixed it for me. The car passed with no advisories. :D

Unfortunately I picked up the car quite late so I didn't get the chance to ask how how he did it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My 2p:

I couldn't for the life of me get the door card off with the door closed so I would have thought the slim-jim, open door, door card off and fix method would be best. However, if your not a mechanic, (or a car thief) slim-jimming isn't as easy as it looks in the movies. :blush:

• 2 years later...

Hey, friends. Just thought I'd post up because I had this problem yesterday and couldn't find a good answer online. I had repaired some wiring on the driver's door, and put it all back together. I closed the door and realized that I couldn't open it from the inside or out.

The solution was that I made a slim jim out of a plastic 5 gallon bucket handle (just bent it somewhat straight). You’ll also need a flash light, and to roll down the window. With the bucket handle (or coat hanger) fish it down on the outside of the window near the handle and depress the door mechanism from the inside. Do this by following the rod going from the handle to a light blue plastic spacer. Press that mechanism down, and the door should pop right open (make sure the door is unlocked).

No need to cut up the interior. Now at least the door is open for access to all its parts if it’s in need of repair. Sometimes the plastic spacer needs adjusted as well for the door to open properly. Good luck!

Edited by 78Sprocket

• 6 years later...

I'll revive this thread as it's just happened to me. 

Neither handle would open the door and I could here the lock mechanism working. 

I've rolled the window all the way down. Got a coat hanger and fished it into the door. Using a torch I hooked it onto the metal rod going into the blue Bush from the outside handle. 

I pulled up which pulled the rod completely out of the Bush. (I didn't mean for this to happen) 

It turned out the outside handle had gone bad and because they are connected this stopped either handle working. 

Now the inside handle is working and I've got a new outside handle in the post.