Spot the rookie mistake....

Husky

dude, that is really lame,

even i take the time to check the tyre is going on the right way when changing them myself and i am the laziest man alive

complete noob error! you should print out some intructions to give him when you take it back in.

Kwick fit did this to me. Bought four Pirelli tyres for my focus ages back and two of them came on the wrong way round. I actually didnt notice but took the car straight from them to have it's MOT, which for that reason it obviously failed.

Took it back to rant at them and the manager said he would give me a £100 voucher for work there, to which I replied in front of a room full of waiting customers "you monkeys can't even put on a set of tyres the right way round, what makes you think I would let you touch my car again?!?!"

Promtly got 50% of my money back and havnt been back to the idiots since.

While its in my head as well. Ages back my mum took her car to another branch, was told her discs had gone and needed to be replaced. Now mum, like many women, doesnt know one end of a car from another, probably doesnt even know what the discs do, but thought she remembered them being replaced not long back. Asked the center to save the old part and popped round another mechanic on the way back home.

The mechanic looked at the old discs and said, "well as soon as the new ones they've put on wear pff you can put these syraight back on, they're fine!".

Why only the boys from Abbey will be touching my car!

i did not know this but....

apparently tyres have a shelf life, places like holburns, sts etc. do not see that many cars with "unique" tyres and if they have been sitting on the shelf for too long they harden up!!

Better to buy tyres from a wholesaler and get a garage to install...

That's terrible! How can someone who does that day in day out for a living do that! Its written on the bloody tyre for god's sake! :doh:

That assumes (a) they care and (B) they pay attention. IME they dont care and dont pay attention :lol:

apparently tyres have a shelf life.

Yes, it's 5 years. My 2006 reg'd Zed was on the original tyres until a couple of weeks ago and even though there was a fair bit of tread left if you looked closely enough you could see that there were some cracks developing inside the treads :scare:

Pete

A few of the car mags have said not to accept tyres over 2yrs old off the shelf. Good places shouldnt have old tyres as they will shift what they do have quite quickly and a good turn over so always have new tyres - places such as CamSkill should always give you newer ones for example.

I forget how to check the age, but there is a code on the sidewall which gives the date of manufacture.

Is the tyre size right too? It may be the photo but it looks stretched.

The tyres are 295 wide :lol: 305's will be going on next because of the rediculous number of "you shouldn't stretch tyres" coments! :p

These are the tyres I have had on for a while, I would never buy tyres from them, what a sickening thought.

That's terrible! How can someone who does that day in day out for a living do that! Its written on the bloody tyre for god's sake! :doh:

Considering I was standing near him the whole time too. He decided it was a good idea to change the worn shoe before doing it just incase. wonder if he would have done that if i wasnt there.

apparently tyres have a shelf life, places like holburns, sts etc. do not see that many cars with "unique" tyres and if they have been sitting on the shelf for too long they harden up!!

Better to buy tyres from a wholesaler and get a garage to install...

again, I didn't buy them from there, they were from camskills, and i bloody wish I could get tyres to their shelf life :lol: These have only been on 9 months or so and they are nearly gone.

I use camskills and then get a local tyre man with a van to fit them - he's really good.

Sadly my wheels dont fit on mobile tyre fitter machines :(

How long was that on before you noticed John?

Hopefully no damage caused.

I put it on the car and then looked at how annoyingly grubby my sidewall was. That was when i noticed, didn't drive on it at all.

WOW thats hard to do, shocking! I only hope they didn't use air gun on your wheel nuts.

No, I only took the wheel to them in the boot of the shed car, I'm not letting them drive my car!!! :scare::scare::scare:

So i went back and told the boss, who went through the back, shut the door and began giving the kid a right bollocking which i could hear even stood outside :lol:

so he did it all again flipping the tyre round and then started to put lots of weights on the wheel, when he got to something like 70g and had 40g still to go i told him to take it off and turn the tyre round so the heavy spot from the repair doesnt line up with any heavy spot on the wheel. or check how it was mounted to the machine. sure enough he hadn't mounted it properly, after spinning the tyre round a bit and correcting the mounting it only needed 20g of their ugly cheap ass weights.

Got to be honest and say that i thought they had kerbed your wheel,as thats what struck me first. Just gone back to the pic and noticed the dumb sh!ts mistake,what a plank. Glad you got it sorted though. Im dreading getting the tyres on mine.