Fitting cost for a plenum spacer

Shawn

I bought a copper motordyne plenum spacer for the 350z but didn't have a torque wrench to fit it. So, took the parts down to the garage to get fitted and they're asking for £200+vat! Is this about right??

Very simple to do yourself even without a torque wrench. The motordyne spacer instructions tells how hard to do it by hand. It may not be as accurate but get it fitted and take it to a mechanic and ask him to torque them. Bump him a fiver for taking a few minutes to do it.

+1 Very simple job to do yourself if you are handy with a spanner and a socket set. Just done mine and purchased a lovely little torque wrench from MachineMart to tighten the bolts up properly. :)

+1 Very simple job to do yourself if you are handy with a spanner and a socket set. Just done mine and purchased a lovely little torque wrench from MachineMart to tighten the bolts up properly. :)

+2 very easy.

I couldn't even get the strut bar off at first (lack of mechanical skills) - although get the right tools and it's dead simple.

I've even replaced my lower plenum - gaining confidence as you go.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42676&

When I bought mine from Phil some years ago he fitted it for free. For someone who knows their way around a Zed it should be less than an hours work to fit the spacer. Dont fit the diverter valve, thats pointless in this country.

Personally after seeing it done, if I hadnt had it done for free, I would buy a torque wrench (always a good investement anyway) and do it myself :thumbs:

£200?!?!?!

@ approx. £60 an hour it will prolly mean

- 5 mins to remove air intake

- 10 mins to remove plenum

- fit plenum spacer

- 10 mins to refit plenum

- 5 mins to refit air intake

- spend 3 hours drinking tea and eating biscuits with the occasional scratching of backside

£200?!?!?!

- fit plenum spacer

- spend 3 hours drinking tea and eating biscuits with the occasional scratching of backside

You missed the 30 minutes sucking air through teeth and tutting....

£200?!?!?!

- fit plenum spacer

You missed the 30 minutes sucking air through teeth and tutting....

Nah, they already done all that before dropping the bombshell of £200 for fitting

It's not too hard and is a great way to learn how you Z works. I doubt you'll break anything, just probably do things in a daft order and have to remove parts you've just fitted and annoy your self. Torque wrenches can be bought cheap from machine mart or Halfrauds if you have a trade card.

...or you can just keep tightening it till it cracks then back quarter of a turn! (DON'T DO THIS!!!)

It's not too hard and is a great way to learn how you Z works. I doubt you'll break anything, just probably do things in a daft order and have to remove parts you've just fitted and annoy your self. Torque wrenches can be bought cheap from machine mart or Halfrauds if you have a trade card.

...or you can just keep tightening it till it cracks then back quarter of a turn! (DON'T DO THIS!!!)

Try telling that to our resident retarded dog :p

As has been said numerous times above, its quite a simple job.

If you dont feel like doing it yourself, take it to Falcon Performance on Skippers Lane Ind Estate. They'll charge the hourly rate to do it.

Or, if you prefer (and Im on leave), I'll give you a hand (H/Pool born and bred)

Al