Auto fold mirrors

Cookbot

Oh and although I mentioned a PCB, it's actually strip board as I don't have access to board printing kit. Just so you know, but I have a pic of the finished thing soon.

Like this, but with two relays and a fuse on it:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLrSL8wykOVSpxYCcyw895qB2TpTJ2vWcfwot3Utbe5YP3UtyHYA&t=1

Still neater and smaller though.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just built and tried the one in the mentioned guide and it works really well. The only problem is if you want to drive your car with the doors locked, as you'd have your mirrors tucked in. For me the benefits outweigh the loss and it's very simple to do. The wire colours of my loom are different (06 Zed) to the guide though, so I will provide a step by step instruction too.

Ordered the parts to make a smaller test unit and should have it done by the end of next week. If all goes well, full tilt construction by the week after. :thumbs:

Scrap what I said about locking the door, you can have this so the mirrors unfold when the ignition is on then fold away when you turn it off. You can then do what ever you like with the locks. This requires the relay to be wired differently though, so is one or the other (they either operate on ignition or key fob lock)

Probably best off the key fob. On most occasions you turn the ignition off,

look in the mirror, then get out when nawt is coming, then you lock the car.

Think this was the reason in the first place why people wanted it. :shrug:

Planning on maybe putting it in a box to keep it safe, but I've done the prototype tonight and has a few improvements over the previous design. It's smaller overall, has a lot less wires and the micro switch is fit for the job, not some heath robinson bit of copper wire glued on. Just got to do some testing to make sure its fit for use and then should be able to start making them late this week. It's most likely going to be about £25 though, as I've used stronger relays which should withstand vibration and the rigors of a DC current smashing it in all the time.

DSC02721.jpg

DSC02719.jpg

DSC02717.jpg

Nice work (and fast B) ). £25 for something that most companies charge as a £250+ extra when buying a new car, count me in.

Well, under one condition though it comes with this or close to this:

Electronics%20Projects%20For%20Dummies.gif

I'm moderately mechanical, I can solder copper pipes and I can build a shed, but show me wiring and I look like this guy after 10 minutes -> :rant:

In all seriousness though, I really want one :thumbs:

Well the one in the picture is going on my car tomorrow and is getting tested to destruction. DC current can char the contacts on a relay, so want to see how it looks after many operations before it's released to you guys. It's also going to have a slightly thicker wire if possible.

If you're worried about installation, I can do it for you if you're close or maybe do it at a meet. If not I'll do some detailed instructions with uber pictures :)

I'd definitely be interested, but would want it to be independent of the doors being locked please.

Also, where abouts are you mate? As I wouldn't fancy trying to fit this myself.

How much would you want to fit it too?

Thanks for all your hard work too!

Just a thought about fob vs ignition locking, sorry if its stupid or has been covered.

The button on the door has three settings, Open, closed and neutral. Why not have the mirrors fold on fob lock while that button is set in the neutral position and then allow open or closed as an override. Would that work?

I've been fitting the new style one today and it works fine. I even tried the relay about 100 times to ensure it's not carboning up. Did a bit of experimenting with the various switch positions etc and found that you can lock the door when driving and the mirrors still stay out....which is nice for driving!

My next step is to bulk buy the bits, which I'm just doing, but would like to see if the install works the same on a pre 06 facelift car before I release it with instructions , as I think the wiring may be different colors. That said if anyone wants to come to Chesterfield and have it fitted, feel free and let me know.

Cookie