40 profile?

austin

Howdy guys,

i've been thinking of putting on my zed toyos r1r, however the closest to stock size is 225/40/18 and 245/40/18, and not 45 profile. The rolling radius would be slightly different to the original and i understand that apart from speedo being slightly (2mph) faster, Zed's traction control is quite sensitive and would be upset by the change? Should I go with it, is it going to be quite annoying to drive and if so - is there a way to reset TC/ESP to the new tyre size? Another reason im asking is because i quite like toyos and know that getting rears in our standard size is almost next to impossible.

all input appreciated,

austin

As far as i know Toyo haven't discontinued them but none of the tyre websites i've been on seem to have stock of 245/45s. Im also trying to be practical - in case of a nasty, unrepairable puncture it would be better to change one, not 2 (or all 4 since mixing front and rear isnt great) tyres. In 40 profile there are loads and choice is much wider than our standard size.

How come it looks wrong? Only 5mm sidewall difference.

As far as i know Toyo haven't discontinued them but none of the tyre websites i've been on seem to have stock of 245/45s. Im also trying to be practical - in case of a nasty, unrepairable puncture it would be better to change one, not 2 (or all 4 since mixing front and rear isnt great) tyres. In 40 profile there are loads and choice is much wider than our standard size.

5% ;)

5% ;)

sorry, i was looking at imperial. 11mm front, 12mm rear http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Does anyone know if there would be any problems with TC though?

cool, thanks Stew.

As far as i can see on many websites actually, not only the choice in this size is wider (could even get my absolute fav goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 on all 4s!!) but price around £20-30 per corner cheaper.

Im with you on the gsd3's awesome tyre but trust me it doesnt suit the zed. You better be quick if you want gsd3's aswell as they have stopped making them a while back so its only stock thats left. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

i am running 245/4018 on 8in front and 255/4018 on 9in WORK rims with michelin pilot sport3 on jdm fairlady.drive and ride is better than when it was on 19s.no tcs problems.i think i am getting a better grip and seeing less of the tcs light on hard acceleration

• 1 month later...

Anyone got any pics of 40 profile on standard 18 inch wheels? I am quite interested in looking at this but am worried it will just look odd as the wheel/tyre combo already looks a little 'lost' in the wheel arches as it is.

Mytyres have the toyo t1-r's front and back, but the vred ultrac sessantas are slightly cheaper and imho better so i'd go for those (don't seem to be able to get them for the front though, almost like there's a tyre shortage :lol: ).

He's asking about R1-R's ;)

Im currently running a 285/35/19 at the back and a 255/40/18 on the front without any issues ........ how much difference does there actually have to be for the TC to play up??

Mytyres have the toyo t1-r's front and back, but the vred ultrac sessantas are slightly cheaper and imho better so i'd go for those (don't seem to be able to get them for the front though, almost like there's a tyre shortage :lol: ).

He's asking about R1-R's ;)

Im currently running a 285/35/19 at the back and a 255/40/18 on the front without any issues ........ how much difference does there actually have to be for the TC to play up??

Oooooo. Oops :blush::lol:

Im running 245/40/18 fronts, and 275/40/18 rears.

Have had no problems. TC is no problem.

What tyres have you gone for out of interest, i'm struggling to find a reasonable selection of 275/40/18's

Im running 245/40/18 fronts, and 275/40/18 rears.

Have had no problems. TC is no problem.

What tyres have you gone for out of interest, i'm struggling to find a reasonable selection of 275/40/18's

Went for falkens 452 in the end. Was pretty reasonable from camskills. About 300 quid.

Fair enough, thats all i've been able to find reasonably priced.. those and conti sport 2's.

Any chance you could take a picture of your rears from the side, to show how big the 40 profile looks with falkens on?