another 3 points on license!

nickzzz

got pulled by the police yesterday, was driving down a hill and my lane was a single with two lanes coming uphill. There was a section where my lane could overtake into 2nd lane coming uphill, i was stuck behind 2 trucks and saw just one car coming other way&quite a long way off so i went for it. By time i could pull back in, lines dividing carriageways had turned solid and at this point i realised oncoming car was highway patrol!! :surrender:

They turned around, pullled me over and gave me 3 points for ignoring white lines. Admittedly they were quite friendly!

This was in a work van mind, would have easily made it in the zed!

I'm now panicking as to how much this will affect my insurance renewal as i found last one bad enough! I already have an sp30 (again in a work van) from march 08. I currently have 7 years no claims and am 28. The new conviction is ts20 i think!

Anybody have any idea how much this could affect quotes? Hope i don't have to sell my beloved zed!

:wacko:

i know its a joke! Think they're slowly trying to force us out of performance cars! Its annoying that all my points are work related, i do a lot of miles with work (20k plus) but have a 5k limit for the zed. Just praying it doesn't get so bad to insure that i can't justify it anymore!

i think the type of conviction must have differing effects on insurance, but someone else might have a better idea.

For example dangerous driving must be considered higher risk than an sp30?

No idea for this ts20 i got though? Its also hard to tell because in recent years insurance just seems to go up regardless! Nightmare.

If you broke the law and got caught then not much you can argue about it really. If somone stole your tv would you be happy if they didnt get punished?

sorry to sound harsh but its the way it goes :blush:

Exactly, and these days if you drive, have a phone and you don't have bluetooth then you deserve the 3 points for being so daft!

And I don't think it's a joke giving people points and then charging them more for their insurance as they are more likely to have or cause an accident...

TS20 is probably going to rape you insurance-wise, it's right up there with jumping red lights I would imagine.

TS are all traffic signal ones, so failure to obey a traffic signal, which is in with not stopping at Stop signs and jumping lights. I'd imagine that will incur more than a light bit of speeding, but shouldnt be too bad? No idea really, do as Sarnie says and go do a new quote online

i didn't mean it was a joke relating to getting the points, i'm fully aware thats my fault. was more talking about the general way insurance premiums are rising.

i definately do drive differently in the van though, usually because i'm on a tight schedule or in a rush to get home. whereas zed is only used on weekends and holidays mainly. saying that i'm not a crazy or aggressive driver but i have slowed down since yesterday!

Think i might call my insurance company and ask their opinion, i know you technically need to let them know at renewal but think its a safer bet to make them aware now.

Think i might call my insurance company and ask their opinion, i know you technically need to let them know at renewal but think its a safer bet to make them aware now.

Really? I thought this was just an assumption a lot of people make and actually you have to declare anything that affects your policy as soon as possible. It probably covers this in your policy small print.

TS20 is probably going to rape you insurance-wise, it's right up there with jumping red lights I would imagine.

TS are all traffic signal ones, so failure to obey a traffic signal, which is in with not stopping at Stop signs and jumping lights.

TS20 Failing to comply with double white lines.

yep there are loads of crazy van drivers about!

I'm not one of the many vans you'll see lane hogging though!

I can't really say exactly how much my premium went up last year as it was my first renewal with the zed so not comparative with last renewal. I bought the car a few months before renewal. Prior to the zed i had a 330ci and i think my new renewal with zed was about £250 more than 330ci the previous year.

That might be a lot to do with the different car as opposed to premiums going up i suppose!

Really? I thought this was just an assumption a lot of people make and actually you have to declare anything that affects your policy as soon as possible. It probably covers this in your policy small print.

last time i got an sp30 i called as i didn't know what to do and the guy said that i just needed to let them know at my next renewal. Think i will phone though as it could be used against me in a claim.

TS are all traffic signal ones, so failure to obey a traffic signal, which is in with not stopping at Stop signs and jumping lights.

TS20 Failing to comply with double white lines.

Yeah meant to say its in the same group as traffic signal ones, not that it in itself was for a traffic signal. So will incur the same wrath of premium jacking as jumping a red light or not stopping for the police :headhurt:

The police are really cracking down on driving offences everywhere.

I used to be in the "they should be out catching 'real' criminals" camp, but I admit my attitude has changed - mainly because I had to go on one of those speed awareness courses (which TBH are actually quite well run) myself a couple of years ago (yep - works van too!). When they flashed up the stats for the number of people killed and seriously injured on the roads each year, and how much it costs financially - I suddenly understood why so may resources are being aimed at this area.

Bit unlucky with the white lines though - it's not always that easy to see where your overtaking rights end until you're in the middle of the manoeuvre.

You're right to tell your insurers ASAP.