Oil Cooler Fitted - Now with REMOUNTED pics

SteveW

Well I finished off my oil cooler last night, was a bit of a pain getting the braided hoses to 'bend' where I wanted them to go but got there in the end.

I think next time I do an oil change though I will look at rerouting the lines because I had to bend the undertray around the lines where they come out of the take off plate.

Now all ready for the Uprev map :yahoo:

Just gott aget myself booked in when I find a free day.

Steve

Very difficult to tell from the pictures, however a word to the wise:

If you have simply just "hung" your cooler from the top set of fixing points then unfortunately these will soon break off due to vibrations etc.

You really do have to reinforce this install by connecting the top and lower fixing points of the cooler by suitable threaded rod and tubing. :thumbs:

This is no criticism of your install but simply a point being made to avoid you any issues in the future. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the tip mate!!!

It is only fixed by the top bracket, I thought that would be strong enough!I will get that sorted as soon as possible.!!

I'll get some plate and run it around the base then affix to the underside of the crashbar and bolt the base of the cooler to the plate, I don;t want any breakage issues!

Thanks again

Steve

Steve,

I am with Alex on the mounting it will cause the core to split and leak if you dont suspend it from both ends, also where you have mounted it will cause the car to run hotter coolant temps due to you stopping air flowing through the radiator.

We fit the oil cooler up behind the crash bar and make a small deflector to divert the air into the cooler , this stops interfering with airflow to the radiator.

Mark

Steve,

I am with Alex on the mounting it will cause the core to split and leak if you dont suspend it from both ends, also where you have mounted it will cause the car to run hotter coolant temps due to you stopping air flowing through the radiator.

We fit the oil cooler up behind the crash bar and make a small deflector to divert the air into the cooler , this stops interfering with airflow to the radiator.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info, I'm not too keen on the routing of my hoses either so think it is back to the drawing board.

I'm gonna take it off this weekend before I damage the car or cooler.

Appreciate the input!

Steve

Sorry! have to ask, is there any particular reason for fitting an oil cooler? do you do lots of track days, or have FI?

Edit, Also where is your oil filter? cant see it in the pic, just the take off plate, so I'm presuming/hope you have a remote filter?

Hi mate, I've fitted the oil cooler becuase I do quite a few trackdays in the summer and was always a bit concerned that the oil temps getting high.

The oil filter is on top of the take off plate, the picture was taken between the wheel and brake disc so it wasn;t the easiest to take. Its also a K&N filter which has a nut welded onto the top for removal, that could be why it just looks like a take off plate.

I've remounted my oil cooler today and its rock solid. Now sat on 4 brackets behind the crash bar, haven't connected the lines yet, thats a job for the week. Hopefully the location is better and it won't send the outdoor temp sensor mad.... I also need to make the deflector panel for the air flow but that is to follow.

Any comments from anyone on plan B location???

Sorry about the rubbish quality pics!

Comments appreciated :thumbs:

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

You had me worried there for a minute, couldn't see any filter LOL!

I did wonder at the wisdom of fitting an oil cooler to a non FI road car, but track days would warrant a cooler, out of interest, what sort of temps have you been seeing?

As for current fitment, its definitely better, but may still create a hot spot in your rad, but just keep an eye on water temps, there isn't much space for them on the z, not seen mounts like that on a cooler before, and provided there is no twisting force applied to the mounts, either in fitting or in operation it should be OK, although i would still be inclined to use four bits of studding and tubes through the end mounts to brace the whole thing up for safety.

Yes it is difficult finding a place for it to be mounted that isn't affecting the radiator.

However, I thought by keeping it clear of the 'mouth' in the bumper would be best after Mark's advice.

Its rock solid where it is at the moment its mountd at the top on an existing stud and a bracket I fabbed up. Then at the bottom I've put two L shape brackets mounted to the back of the crash bar.

I don't actually have a gauge for the temps but I know at Mallory last year the car was getting super hot with an ambient of 27 degrees and just added this for saftey.

Yes it is difficult finding a place for it to be mounted that isn't affecting the radiator.

However, I thought by keeping it clear of the 'mouth' in the bumper would be best after Mark's advice.

Its rock solid where it is at the moment its mountd at the top on an existing stud and a bracket I fabbed up. Then at the bottom I've put two L shape brackets mounted to the back of the crash bar.

I don't actually have a gauge for the temps but I know at Mallory last year the car was getting super hot with an ambient of 27 degrees and just added this for saftey.

I would definitely get yourself a decent oil temp gauge, as its just as important to not cool too much as well,

although being mainly track based its not too much of a problem, but on a road car you really don't want to see low oil temps, other wise all the evaporated water vapor and combustion gas buy products stay in suspension if the temps don't get to at least 95-100C.

Hi mate,

Yes I know its important the oil gets up to temp, the take off plate is a thermostatic one with the valve starting to open at 80 degrees so

will get to temperature no problem at all.

I do intend on getting one at some stage just need to sort out how to mount the sensor etc.

Steve

It wont creat a hot spot as the rad behind the crash bar doesnt get much air thats why we fit the oil cooler thereand deflect the air up to it.

I would of angled the oil cooler to make the making of the air deflector easier we find, buy it looks far better than before thou Steve.

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much, I do plan to angle it in the future just wanted to get it securely mounted first.

It should be fairly easy to angle the way Its mounted at the bottom.

Next Job is the deflector well after I put the take off plate back in :thumbs:

Cheers

Steve