Which Synthetic Engine Oil?

glrnet

I'm about to book the Zed in for a P3 Service at Abbey and I'm going to supply my own synthetic oil. Is any brand better than another or is one synthetic oil the same as the next synthetic oil given today's, one supposes, stringent manufacturing criteria?

Any advice gladly received.

I thank you :)

Am I really going to need that, I don't plan on anything much more than spirited driving? :)

There seems to be a lean toward the 5W 30 viscosity, is this much different from the 5W 40?

5W 40 will handle high ambient temperatures better than 5W 30

Am I really going to need that, I don't plan on anything much more than spirited driving? :)

There seems to be a lean toward the 5W 30 viscosity, is this much different from the 5W 40?

probably not unless you're considering a drive to Zimbabwe or Abu Dhabi lol

probably not unless you're considering a drive to Zimbabwe or Abu Dhabi lol

It does sometimes get into the high 20's in Dorking B)

Does it? I thought the 30 or 40 is the thickness when hot?

it's a measure of viscosity

Does it? I thought the 30 or 40 is the thickness when hot?

it's a measure of viscosity

Yes the thickness, so how will the 40 be better at higher heat? Surely its what the car is made for?

• 4 weeks later...
The previous owner of my car used Millers 5w40. Is this the right oil for the car and a good quality oil?

If I was to top-up the oil, what can I top it up with?

Thanks,

Hassan

if you can get the same stuff then use it again for top ups.

if not then just use any good 5w30 or 5w40 oil

The previous owner of my car used Millers 5w40. Is this the right oil for the car and a good quality oil?

If I was to top-up the oil, what can I top it up with?

Thanks,

Hassan

if you can get the same stuff then use it again for top ups.

if not then just use any good 5w30 or 5w40 oil

Thanks for your reply. I've just found a link showing the oil that was used in the car. It was Millers XFS Full Synthetic 5w40

The link showing the product picture, description and spec sheet is shown on the following link:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60213-mille ... e-oil.aspx

Is this oil good? Does it meet the engine's requirements?

I just fear he has used oil that is not good enough for the engine...

Thanks,

Hassan

millers make good oils and lubes, i used their brake fluid on the zed, that stuff will do the job fine, people have preferences, mine is royal purple. others like fuchs titan pro s, amsoil and what ever else was mentioned in the first part of the thread.

millers make good oils and lubes, i used their brake fluid on the zed, that stuff will do the job fine, people have preferences, mine is royal purple. others like fuchs titan pro s, amsoil and what ever else was mentioned in the first part of the thread.

So basically I have nothing to worry about...

He did mention he did research into different oils and found that this oil was better for the car than Nissan's recommendation (he's been an engineer in a mechanical firm all his life, he's about 60 years old) and was happy to provide the spec sheet. I didn't insist in looking at the spec sheet as I have no clue!

I've noticed Millers do a CFS range which is much pricier, what's the difference?

Coming from the BMW scene, I used to use oils that had the 'BMW longlife 03' or 'BMW LL' in the recommendations list on the back of the oil container. For 350z's, what is the recommendation code I look for?

I appreciate your help!

i haven't a clue on the numbers or the difference between the millers range. when it comes to oils i tend to go with what i know, and what is reccomended to me either from the forums or the mechanics i trust.

the main garage i use build race cars and touring cars, they rave about royal purple oils and they also use the millers range.

to be honest if your not racing the car or taking it on track days then any good synthetic oil will do the job,

just don't put cheap mineral oil in, it will do the job but it will be affected by heat far quicker and be less effective far quicker. you could use mineral oil, but i'd be changing it every 2000 miles and not 9k like the service interval says.