Which Synthetic Engine Oil?

glrnet

i haven't a clue on the numbers or the difference between the millers range. when it comes to oils i tend to go with what i know, and what is reccomended to me either from the forums or the mechanics i trust.

the main garage i use build race cars and touring cars, they rave about royal purple oils and they also use the millers range.

to be honest if your not racing the car or taking it on track days then any good synthetic oil will do the job,

just don't put cheap mineral oil in, it will do the job but it will be affected by heat far quicker and be less effective far quicker. you could use mineral oil, but i'd be changing it every 2000 miles and not 9k like the service interval says.

Would you class the Millers XFS Full Synthetic 5w40 oil as a mineral oil or a good quality oil?

PERFORMANCE PROFILE:

ï‚· API SL, CF

ï‚· ACEA A3, B3

ï‚· Mercedes-Benz 229.1

ï‚· Porsche approval

ï‚· BMW Longlife 98

ï‚· VW 500.00, 501.01, 502.00, 505.00

TYPICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

SAE Viscosity Grade 5w40

Specific Gravity @ 15ï‚°C 0.855

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100ï‚°C 13.8cSt

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40ï‚°C 86cSt

Viscosity Index 165

Pour Point ï‚°C -42

Flashpoint ï‚°C 220

Cold Crank Viscosity @ -30ï‚°C 6,590cP

its a fully synthetic oil from a good manufacturer i wouldn't be worrying, the numbers seem alright,.

if it was tesco's own value oil i'd be swapping it out straight away. whens the service due on it? i'd top up for now and then come service time put in something your happy with.

PERFORMANCE PROFILE:

ï‚· API SL, CF

ï‚· ACEA A3, B3

ï‚· Mercedes-Benz 229.1

ï‚· Porsche approval

ï‚· BMW Longlife 98

ï‚· VW 500.00, 501.01, 502.00, 505.00

TYPICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

SAE Viscosity Grade 5w40

Specific Gravity @ 15ï‚°C 0.855

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100ï‚°C 13.8cSt

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40ï‚°C 86cSt

Viscosity Index 165

Pour Point ï‚°C -42

Flashpoint ï‚°C 220

Cold Crank Viscosity @ -30ï‚°C 6,590cP

its a fully synthetic oil from a good manufacturer i wouldn't be worrying, the numbers seem alright,.

if it was tesco's own value oil i'd be swapping it out straight away. whens the service due on it? i'd top up for now and then come service time put in something your happy with.

It was serviced on 05/10/10 (4 months ago) with this Millers XFS 5w40 oil at 41,600 miles. The car is currently on 44,100 miles. When would you recommended the next service?

Thank you for giving me that peace of mind I needed, I would have been stressing all the time until I finally gave up and decided to get an emergency oil change carried out!

So basically if I did take it to a track day (which I won't!), the oil will be good enough to handle the thrashing?

next service is due at 50,600 or in 8 months time which ever comes first

and yes the millers would cope with a track session fine.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help and patience! I'll continue using Millers until my next service.

I checked my oil level today and it gave me a very confusing measurement on my dipstick, the oil was all over the dipstick. I will check tomorrow morning before I leave for work and see what the level shows then...

the 350z dipstick is pants best bet is to do it on a cold engine as it will give you the most accurate reading of the actual level and hopefully mean that there is no excess up the dipstick tube.

without trying to teach granny how to suck eggs, i always read, wipe it and read again, possibly doing this 2 or 3 times to make sure i get a proper reading.

no worries about the help, its what we are here for ;)

the 350z dipstick is pants best bet is to do it on a cold engine as it will give you the most accurate reading of the actual level and hopefully mean that there is no excess up the dipstick tube.

without trying to teach granny how to suck eggs, i always read, wipe it and read again, possibly doing this 2 or 3 times to make sure i get a proper reading.

no worries about the help, its what we are here for ;)

I've noticed members on this forum are much more helpful than other forums I've been to!

Yeah that's what I will do tomorrow, let's hope I wake up early enough so I have the time to do it! :scare:

The end of the dipstick is twisted, looks like its been bent out of shape. Are these dipsticks normally this shape?

the forum is good, its one of the reasons i and many others have stuck around long after we sold up.

as for the dipstick my memory is fuzzy as its been a while since ive seen a zed one, i think it had several kinks/bends in it, but it shouldn't be twisted.

pics would help to point you in the right direction.

if you need a replacement :pmr35lee: he breaks lots of old zeds and should have plenty of them in good condition and at a fraction of the dealership cost.

the forum is good, its one of the reasons i and many others have stuck around long after we sold up.

as for the dipstick my memory is fuzzy as its been a while since ive seen a zed one, i think it had several kinks/bends in it, but it shouldn't be twisted.

if you need a replacement :pmr35lee: he breaks lots of old zeds and should have plenty of them in good condition and at a fraction of the dealership cost.

I've just looked at the dipstick today, I think it's shaped funny at the bottom to guide the dipstick into the right position (the hoop hole facing the side of the car and not the windscreen). I could be wrong though!

I've got a few pics which I'll post up for people to look at :)

With regards to the oil, I checked this morning and it's showing as full!! It was much easier reading it on a cold engine!

I've just looked at the dipstick today, I think it's shaped funny at the bottom to guide the dipstick into the right position (the hoop hole facing the side of the car and not the windscreen). I could be wrong though!

I've got a few pics which I'll post up for people to look at :)

With regards to the oil, I checked this morning and it's showing as full!! It was much easier reading it on a cold engine!

Your right with your comments the dipstick is designed to go in only the way you say. In fact don't try and do it the opposite way its darn near imposssible to do and could cause some serious problems if left unseated because the engine bay will end up with its own special oil wash!!!

Use Mobil 1 in both my cars and my previous cars :thumbs:

Mobil1 is now using a cheaper base oil and has taken out alot if detergents. It isn't BMW or Porsche approved anymore.

Didn't know that :scare:

Might have to change the oil I am using but what to use

:wacko:

Use Mobil 1 in both my cars and my previous cars :thumbs:

Mobil1 is now using a cheaper base oil and has taken out alot if detergents. It isn't BMW or Porsche approved anymore.

Didn't know that :scare:

Might have to change the oil I am using but what to use

:wacko:

If you have time look it up on the internet, there is also a good thread on my350z, the us forum.