Panic panic panic over oil levels.

IJenks

Hi Guys. Looking for a little info on the oil level for the Z.

I have an 06 UK Z. Since I have owned it I (4 months) it has been fine (apart from one glitch when there was a "fault" reported by the ECu but was found to be nothing). On Monday I went around a corner and the Oil pressure guage dropped to almost 0 and the oil warning light flashed on for a second. The engine light then started to blink.

I was almost home so checked the oil level but I couldn't read it (crappy dip stick! :rant: ). I didn't drive it on Tuesday but on tick over the pressure was below 30 (cold). I put around 1L in on Tuesday night and checked the level again on Weds morning - I STILL can not read the damn stick! After 1L the pressure was still running below 60 at 60mph in 6th so I put in another 0.5L. I have just started the car and the pressure (cold) is 60 at tick over! If I have overfilled it (surely it can only be slightly!?) what sort of problems could this cause? I am having it serviced soon, but don't want to cause damage before.

Overfilling is as bad as underfilling, you can blow all the seals and render the engine useless. Tbh you really need to read the level off the dipstick, I appreciate it's not that easy but neither is it impossible. Read from both sides, wipe in-between dipping and only read after the car has been sat still for 10-15 mins on a level surface. :)

You're taking a hell of a chance reading using the pressure gauge alone. I'll admit to doing so on my old car, however that was in conjunction with reading off the dipstick and knowing how pressure equated to levels on my particular engine: It'll be different between cars.

Oh dear :scare:

It is imperative that the oil level is checked on a very regular basis from cold.

The dip stick is a bit fiddly but you have no option.

By what you have described, then the oil level must have been extremely low and unless you are extremely lucky, then unfortunately you will have caused internal damage to the motor which may or may not be obvious at this moment in time.

Alex.

How hard can it be in this day and age for a car manufacturer to make the low oil light blink when it's at the bottom of the dipstick, i.e. before it gets to dangerously low levels?! They spend forever and a day inventing useless crap like vibrating seats if you stray over a line or magic cameras that park the car automatically, but the basic stuff they still don't bother with!! Boils my ****, it does.

/rant

It is imperative that the oil level is checked on a very regular basis from cold.

By what you have described, then the oil level must have been extremely low and unless you are extremely lucky, then unfortunately you will have caused internal damage to the motor which may or may not be obvious at this moment in time.

Alex.

I may be wrong, but here goes.

To check the oil level the engine needs to be warm. Then swich off and wait 20 mins for the oil to run back. then check the level at the dip stick.

opinions?

Alex.

I may be wrong, but here goes.

To check the oil level the engine needs to be warm. Then swich off and wait 20 mins for the oil to run back. then check the level at the dip stick.

opinions?

Best first thing in the morning after having sat all night. :thumbs:

Best first thing in the morning after having sat all night. :thumbs:

+1 - take this mans advise. I used to try and do it from warm and wait a while, but it takes a looooong time for it all to drain back down. Alex knows more than almost anyone in the UK about this kind of thing and Zeds ;)

I am fearing the worst TBH. I do get oil showing on the little "Kink" at the bottom of the stick (I did before I put any additional oil in), and smears all the way up, but nothing which I can recognise as a "level".

I am in Neath, near Swansea. I have never had issues maintaining a car before but this basic reading seems so difficult to do on this car :doh:

I am fearing the worst TBH. I do get oil showing on the little "Kink" at the bottom of the stick (I did before I put any additional oil in), and smears all the way up, but nothing which I can recognise as a "level".

I am in Neath, near Swansea. I have never had issues maintaining a car before but this basic reading seems so difficult to do on this car :doh:

Once you have dipped it a few times from cold you will wonder what all the drama was about.

Dip from cold and you will get a true reading :thumbs:

Ok, put some more in last night and left it to settle overnight. Checked this morning and it is now just under the "H" mark on the stick. It was only serviced 5000 miles ago, can't believe it burned that much oil (~3.5L I have put in).

I'm praying that there isn't much damage. This has taught me to check every week - I will be doing this religiously from now on.

Thanks for all the replies and support guys - top group :thumbs:

Ok, put some more in last night and left it to settle overnight. Checked this morning and it is now just under the "H" mark on the stick. It was only serviced 5000 miles ago, can't believe it burned that much oil (~3.5L I have put in).

I'm praying that there isn't much damage. This has taught me to check every week - I will be doing this religiously from now on.

Thanks for all the replies and support guys - top group :thumbs:

did you check the oil immediately after the service. I would. Just if nothing else to check if the oil has been changed and also to see if they have put enough back in. Mistakes can be made. Another good reason to supply your own oil as when you pick up the car you should still have a bit left in the container You do know then that there is a good chance it has been done.. The only error in reading your dipstick is that there was no oil to read anyway. Fingers crossed that there isnt no damage.

The service had been done just before I bought it by Chorley Nissan, they seem to get pretty good reviews on here. Wish I'd checked that when I bought it too - looked at the in's and out's of everything else but missed that :rant: "Lives and Learns" eh?

06's do have a bit of a rep for being oil burners. We're hoping that when you had the last service done they didn't fill it up properly or forgot. Not that's good, anything but.

Reading material:

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-driv ... ssion.html

That link makes very interesting reading. Weekly oil checks for me from now on............

Just to clarify. You have told us your ZED is an 06 but is a facelift (MY06) version with the 296bhp engine or a MY03 276bhp version? I mention that as the the MY03 models were still being sold off into 2007 ;)

That US TSB you are looking at I believe relates to the 296 engine and I understand from Mark at Abbey who has any number of ZED engines apart that the oil consumption issue is (normally) to do with the piston rings used on those engines. (The phrase "round pistons in oval bores" has been used to describe the problem). But if you have any doubt talk to Mark or one of the other engine experts on here. The States get their ZEDS sometime before we get the same models, hence why I have asked the question of you.

All ZED engines have generally been labelled as 'bullet proof'. That said, if oil levels have not been regularly checked and the warning light has come on or the oil pressure guage is fluctuating more than normal then that may not be a good sign for engine longevity. The dipstick is the same on both engines and yes, can be difficult to read and whilst enthusiasts like us on here will persevere to get a reading, I do wonder how many owners who are not so keen to put their heads under the bonnet have checked, or had the oil level regularly :headhurt: