Insurance Dilemma - any advice?

Buckley

hi all

been looking for a Zed for a while but think ive found 'the one' and agreed a price

ive been trying to sort out insurance before i commit but am at a bit of a hurdle - ill start from the top :)

im a 27 year old lad, been driving 3 years (will be my 4th NCD in May) - my girlfriend has been driving 10years and has 5years NCD, with her 6th clearing in April this year

found a quote for £1000 to insure with her as the main driver and me an additional - this is because of my 3 points acquired when i first past my test in the first month!

its £500 more expensive if i insure with her as a named driver, and the excess is a lot more too

ive rung Swift who insure me and they wont insure the car for me until ive been driving 4years (which is in May) and Helen has phoned the AA who insure her but want £3000 to insure the car until April when her insurance is up!!!!!

telephoned Dirct Line who quoted us the grand but they wont honour that now with Helens current 5years no claims as she cant have two policies running side by side

neither of us have had a fast sports car before but are both 27 and arent stupid drivers - just wanted a nice car for the summar and to enjoy together before starting a family

buying the car isnt a problem (as we were planning to move but have since lost our dream house and are blowing this money on a car and holiday :) ) its just the predicament with insurance!

its a dilemma now whether to cancel my insurance with Swift and get a few quid back, but then pay stupid excess and £500 more to insure, or, to cancel her insurance and get £30 back and she starts a new policy but as she is 9 months down the line she almost has another year to make it 6years which would surely bring it down a little cheaper

sorry its all typed a mess but thought i would be easy to sort this out :bangin: anyone have any advice on where to go, what to do?

would appreciate any advice

thanks for listenin to my rant :D

hopefully can join you in Wales this year - insurance pending!

she can have to policies running along side each, absolutely no problem with that, but she can only use the no claims on one of them.

i think some insurance companies would let her split up the no claims but not many

might be worth getting temp insurance for yourself on the zed and checking out admiral for the multicar policy they do in april.

i was also with swift before i got my zed and they said no to me too. luckily for me it was running out just as i was changing car anyway

Admiral multicar is where all the cool kids are at. It will sexually violate any other insurance quote :thumbs::thumbs:

:lol::lol::lol: true story

You should get a full pro rata refund from swift it they won't insure you - they are effectively in breach of contract. You'll lost the NCB for that year obviously.

Have you tried Sky? I've not found them the cheapest but friends of mine have. I'm with Bell, every year admiril come up cheapest but Bell match (same company).

You should get a full pro rata refund from swift it they won't insure you - they are effectively in breach of contract. You'll lost the NCB for that year obviously.

Have you tried Sky? I've not found them the cheapest but friends of mine have. I'm with Bell, every year admiril come up cheapest but Bell match (same company).

Sky / Chris Knott / AdrianFlux etc will probably not insure as they usually expect experience of high powered or rear wheeled cars, I'd try admiral :thumbs:

Admiral - i have points and declared all my mods and they are still cheap as chips!

+1 only an extra 30 quid for 3 mods on our cars

+2 im 23 with a history of crashes, the last being 2009, 1yr ncb im with admiral for my 2 cars and the zeds 1000quid for 12months

Who is the main driver? It's not clear from your post, and you seem to be flirting with the idea of fronting which is a big no-no and will deservedly see you in big trouble if you're caught.

+1....

if you add someone elder with more experience ie father etc, its should bring the price down a fair bit. I have 5 people on my policy. My mum, dad, the missus, and when i added my bro it never went up nor down in price.

I have admiral multicar aswell which gave me a massive discount on insuring the suzuki swift sport. I havent transferred the 350z onto the policy yet but the price has been quoted and set to move it on when its current policy expires.

Who is the main driver? It's not clear from your post, and you seem to be flirting with the idea of fronting which is a big no-no and will deservedly see you in big trouble if you're caught.

Helen would be the main driver, as i do at least 150 miles a week just to get to work and back so it makes sense when she does about 65, and it would be her name down as the owner - so its not anything dodgy - im hopin to get a company car in the next 12months or so, it all makes sense really as me being named as id like to drive on the Saturdays when we pop out for the day

Admiral multi-car wont work at the moment though as we already have policies on my bag o crap for work and Helens Focus, but with the Zed and Focus we couldnt transfer until April anyway which would rule out the few months driving

might just take the 9months on the chin for Helen and lose that NCD - only way round it at the moment i can think of.......

Insure one car with Admiral the now.........when your other cars insurance expires you transfer them over to a multicar policy and they charge you pro rata to the end date of your original policy with them.

For example my shed insurance with Admiral expires on the last day in August. The zed has been SORNed over winter so i phoned them to put it back on a couple of days ago and only have to pay £250 to insure it from now until the last day in August when the shed policy ends.

Hope this makes sense :wacko::lol:

another query!

this is the one im looking at getting: -

http://www.gordonlamb.co.uk/cgi-bin/get ... @keywords=

when i put the reg in any insurance quote search engine thing its coming up as a Fairlady Z and not a 350z - im 99% certain its a UK car however, but would appreciate the clarification - its got full NSH too cos ive seen the stamps, could it be an american import?

if i put in the insurance details without a reg, i.e. a 350z coupe manual petrol, im getting insurance quotes at £873 from similar companies rather than a grand!? is that wrong or will it be void etc if you already know the reg?

really wanna buy this tomorrow but dont wanna do myself over

anyone shed any light? thanks :)

another query!

this is the one im looking at getting: -

http://www.gordonlamb.co.uk/cgi-bin/get ... @keywords=

when i put the reg in any insurance quote search engine thing its coming up as a Fairlady Z and not a 350z - im 99% certain its a UK car however, but would appreciate the clarification - its got full NSH too cos ive seen the stamps, could it be an american import?

if i put in the insurance details without a reg, i.e. a 350z coupe manual petrol, im getting insurance quotes at £873 from similar companies rather than a grand!? is that wrong or will it be void etc if you already know the reg?

really wanna buy this tomorrow but dont wanna do myself over

anyone shed any light? thanks :)

Looks like UK GT but no Rays

hi again

bit of an update

rang insurance and they said if the car is a 350z coupe then put it down as that, they take the reg later anyway and your quoted price would be exactly that (unless there was something big amiss) so Helen would get it at £873

rang Gordon Lamb also to check the V5 and logbook etc - every document etc has Nissan 350z coupe writen on it - no mention of Fairlady Z anywhere on anything

also, after the sales person ive been dealing with has done some digging, he has found that it was originally an Irish car hence the registration plate but it was bought as a bulk pack by Gordon Lamb back in 2005 new and all were registered in the UK - it has all the UK registration documents so all looks pukka im told, although id like to check them out myself in person

am i being fobbed off though and has anyone heard of this before?

really wanted the car as it is all immaculate but dont want to be stung later down the line

any other thoughts/advice would be appreciated

hi again

also, after the sales person ive been dealing with has done some digging, he has found that it was originally an Irish car hence the registration plate but it was bought as a bulk pack by Gordon Lamb back in 2005 new and all were registered in the UK - it has all the UK registration documents so all looks pukka im told

Beavis is your man for the Irish connection