Supercar Clubs

Sarnie

I understand the experiencing different cars aspect and it would be an awesome 25 days but £12k and having nothing to show for it would seriously put me off this.

Its like going on a 12k **** up - I am sure it would be off the wall amazing but when I woke up with that hangover and a 12K bill (and possibly a tiger in the toilet) I would be seriously hacked off! :lol:

If you are going to spend a 100k on a car I am pretty sure test drives would be offered by any car maker listed above - decide which one you list best for free by letting dealerships give you test drives. :teeth:

P.s. Sarnie- I hear your the man to talk to about mortgages. May need some advice in a few months time ;)

I understand the experiencing different cars aspect and it would be an awesome 25 days but £12k and having nothing to show for it would seriously put me off this.

Its like going on a 12k **** up - I am sure it would be off the wall amazing but when I woke up with that hangover and a 12K bill (and possibly a tiger in the toilet) I would be seriously hacked off! :lol:

If you are going to spend a 100k on a car I am pretty sure test drives would be offered by any car maker listed above - decide which one you list best for free by letting dealerships give you test drives. :teeth:

P.s. Sarnie- I hear your the man to talk to about mortgages. May need some advice in a few months time ;)

+1 on the mortgage advice :thumbs:

Mortgages = I'm your man

Cars = ask someone else :lol:

+1 on the mortgage advice :thumbs:

Now or in the future? :)

I think the idea is good and if you can get a grand a month past the missus then be able to actually put decent miles / do decent drives in the cars and get that past the missus too then it makes a lot of sense.

Whats the missus say? :lol::lol::lol:

On a calculator it is cheaper to be part of the club for one year than own one for a year, and as you are wondering what it would be like to live with a convertible, rather than buy, tax and insure a convertible, why not scratch your itch for supercar driving and satisfy your convertible curiosity in one go?

If you were only going to own a supercar for a year and sell it, and only drive it for 25 days, then it makes financial sense just to be part of a club. If you are wanting to have the flexibility that owning gives for the extra £2-5k a year, then buy one. Only you can know what feels right for you. :shrug:

It's a difficult one. Especially as I've always been against these sorts of clubs in the past.

But now I'm starting to lean towards them. My thinking is that I can scratch a lot of itches in one go. The fleet covers almost every type of car you 'dream' of owning. You can get a long weekend in a 430 Spider, R8 V10 Spyder, LP560 Spyder, a GTR, a GT3RS, DBS etc etc. My thinking is that once I've been through them all, I might know which one I really really liked and buy one, rather than buying one outright and then about 8 months later wanting to swap it and taking the depreciation/cost of changing hit every time......

One thing that I do like, is that you can pay a payment of £2500 and then the rest in 10 monthly installments, which makes it seem like less of a commitment, plus it lessens the risk factor should the company go bust, which is not unheard of.....

+1 I think you have your answer here Sarnie. If one had the money to buy a £100K supercar then he/she can afford £12k to sample all the potential dreamcars within a few months and choose the one(s) you want at under the cost of 1 years depreciation/insurance and service running costs of full ownership of most true supercars :thumbs:

You would not be joining for the GTR or porche TT etc as these will be workhorses in your stable :p

I think the idea is good and if you can get a grand a month past the missus then be able to actually put decent miles / do decent drives in the cars and get that past the missus too then it makes a lot of sense.

Whats the missus say? :lol::lol::lol:

The Mrs wouldn't know if I was spending £2k a month on hookers and drugs. Separate accounts and all that ;)

To be fair, she would much rather I satisfy my supercar itches this way than nearly bankrupting us and buying a supercar outright. What she doesn't realise is that this will most probably lead to an actual purchase once I decide which one I liked the most :lol:

Like most people, I'd like something to show for my £12k once it was spent. E.g you can nearly get a 313bhp zed for £12k which I could alternatively buy and own forever which makes me think twice.........

Hmmmm

That's why you blag the weekend test-drives ;)

It's nigh on impossible to get a Nissan for a weekend, let alone a Ferrari 599 to a customer they don't even know :)

Must just be your shining personality then :p;)

One other thing to note is that most of these supercar clubs come with a very limited mileage policy when taking delivery of the cars, so you might not be able to put the miles on and do the exciting trips you want without a substantial further cost. That said, the same applies to regular supercar hire so even that route wouldn't be any better.

One further thing to consider is how they decide who gets what car. It's not inconceivable that you could end up with this list for a year:

Audi TTS

Bentley GT Convertible

M3 Coupe

Gallardo

G37

Cayenne GTS

Cayenne S

RR Sport Supercharged HST

RR Sport TDV6 HSE

Now to me that's definitely not worth the £12K per year, so I would definitely contact current members of the club both old and new and ask them what they wanted and what they actually got before committing to anything.

It sounds like the concensus is that financially the club stacks up if you want to drive an assortment of new metal over the course of a year. Hopefully in a year or two the best car will be sat in your driveway anyhow :D

What constitutes a waste of money is all relative, a poor student might think anyone buying a new supercar is insane but 5 or 10 years down the line in a decent job he might find himself doing just that. Hopefully he won't be taking it out for a car smoke though ;)

I say go for it, but please don't waste credits on a diesel Rangie :thumbs:

Hopefully in a year or two the best car will be sat in your driveway anyhow :D

Thats exactly my thought process at the moment. I'm viewing this as a way of getting into every car that would ever realistically be within my financial reach, without the cost/hassle/time and depreciation of buying and selling a few of them.

It's an ideal way of deciding what could be my next long term purchase. For example, I really dislike 430's, but only because the one I had sounded like a bag of spanners compared to my car and I really disliked the interior. I'd love a blast in one again as I reckon I could be persuaded back from the dark side :D

You must have just had a bad experience with the 430 imho Liam, but of course Im biassed.

I must admit that when I got back in mine the other day I did notice that the pedals were a little offset compared to the daily hack and its not the easiest of cars to get in and out of (though at the wrong side of 18 stone my front door poses difficulties every now and then), and while the exhaust note at idle does not sound as good as the neighbours gallardo on tickover - who wants to listen to it at tickover ? :lol: Easily sorted by a tubi Im reliably informed, but not had the chance to listen to one yet.

By the time you have finished with the year of testing, there may be 458's around at the right money - right now, that is the only car Id swap mine for without hesitation given the choice. The interior of the 430 is now starting to show its age in terms of style compared to the newer supercars, but its still no dog inside by normal standards.

Hows about the new McLaren? They may not drop in the first 12 months or so due to demand, but the specification for the price blows just about anything away in its class. 0-60 reported to be 2.5 and with a price tag somewhat below that of a 458. All lots of nice fancy touch screen technology to keep the gadget devil inside us satisfied too! :lol:

You must have just had a bad experience with the 430 imho Liam, but of course Im biassed.

I must admit that when I got back in mine the other day I did notice that the pedals were a little offset compared to the daily hack and its not the easiest of cars to get in and out of (though at the wrong side of 18 stone my front door poses difficulties every now and then), and while the exhaust note at idle does not sound as good as the neighbours gallardo on tickover - who wants to listen to it at tickover ? :lol: Easily sorted by a tubi Im reliably informed, but not had the chance to listen to one yet.

By the time you have finished with the year of testing, there may be 458's around at the right money - right now, that is the only car Id swap mine for without hesitation given the choice. The interior of the 430 is now starting to show its age in terms of style compared to the newer supercars, but its still no dog inside by normal standards.

Hows about the new McLaren? They may not drop in the first 12 months or so due to demand, but the specification for the price blows just about anything away in its class. 0-60 reported to be 2.5 and with a price tag somewhat below that of a 458. All lots of nice fancy touch screen technology to keep the gadget devil inside us satisfied too! :lol:

The 430 I had was two years old and had 15k on it, most of which were probably hard miles too. I'm sure the sound would be massively improved with an aftermarket set up, it was just a massive difference to my decatted setup which, according to my neighbours after it was sold, was "interesting at 9am on a sunday morning" when I was going to football.

The interior was a big let down for me. The crema interior felt like I should be 65 years old of off to lunch to see my friends the Viscount of york. It felt old fashioned to me. The stereo system was dire and the HU looked like a £50 jobby from Halfords. At the end of the day, these are not things that you would buy the car for, but for me, they are things to not buy the car for. Saying that, I've seen some Nero interiors with splash's of Carbon etc, and they look much more up my street. :thumbs:

A 458 would be nice, as would a Macca but sadly they will be out of my price range for a while yet. I really have to limit myself to about £80-£90k before the Mrs starts to pipe up that anymore could be put towards a bigger house etc :scare:

I have the guy from the Supercar club coming to see me next week. he tells me that they have a California and a 458 coming very soon, so that could just tip me over the edge :D

The carbon trim in the 430 is nice, I have it on mine and it sets the dash off well. It looks even more impressive on the 458. I know what you mean about the cream interior, it can be a bit marmite for some, but for me it looks great, you just get paranoid about keeping it cream and perhaps a black interior would be the more sensible choice. For me the 458 carries off the black interior much better than the 430 though imho.

I'd agree on the stereo. Mine has the uprated one with two subs between the seats, but its still not anything to write about. It pains me to say it but Id have the stereo in the Jag over the stereo in the fezza. I have yet to fiddle with the stereo for long enough to set it up right so I have two settings - one for listening to it quietly and one for listening to louder music without the subs distorting the bass. Its a pain in the arse tbh - I usually wind the window down a bit switch it off and set the manettino to sport to open the valves in the exhaust, music enough. When I can be bothered I may get round to simply changing the speakers, as I reckon thats the issue rather than the head unit. Not something you really want to be doing on a car of that level, but I suppose they arent thinking about the creature comforts when designing them.

with that kind of budget in 12 months then you would be looking at a 2008/9 430 maybe or similar aged gallardo, DBS or california. Perhaps at the outside even an early 430 scud or 599 too :cloud9: . I'd be tempted to come shopping with you! :lol: