2011 - Nurburgring sub 8 challenge

stuRS

Right,

Been talking to some friends of mine about a little challenge for spring/summer 2011.

Looking at May/June/July 2011 for a Nurburgring sub 8 minute lap time challenge. Entry requirements:

Open - the faster the better

I'll be leaving the zed at home and using my 2008 Yamaha R1 with sticky tires and full akrapovic system. Feel free to use any car/bike/dirty tricks to get the fastest lap time.

I've been informed that lap timing is not permitted, so any suggests as to how we record times would be good. Intending on doing it over a long weekend i.e. Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon. Dates and times not yet confirmed so please feel free to chip in with any experience or suggestions. We've got the option of including an Autobahn run within the 4 days if required.

Interested parties so far:

2008 R1

Scooby STI

Aston Martin DB7 Vantage

Vauxhall VXR8 (Tuned)

350z

Elise 111R

Let me know if you're interested,

Stuart

Anyone who drives the Ring with the intention of setting lap times on either a tourist day or a track day deserves to be shot. :thumbdown:

Drive it because it's fun and challenging, but treat it as a fast country road rather than a racetrack else you're going to come unstuck. Although I assume you've all driven the Ring before?

Chill out, it's not a full on competition. Just a good excuse to get a few people with a common interest out the house for a weekend!

Anyone attending will no doubt drive within their own limits.

Deserves to be shot? You bellend

There is a thread for people going to the ring next year. Have a search stu for it. I think ekona was just trying to say that you must be mad to do it on a public day. I have done the ring about 15 times in various cars. Not yet in the zed. Every time I go I show the upmost respect to other drivers and the track. Have seen quite a few cars and bikes end up in the Tyres/fence. The run off ain't great either so the slightest mistake and your gone. As for timing there is signs up everywhere saying no timing allowed. If your found timing could see it being an instant ban.

It's to discourage people racing each other on public days. There is too many cars on the ring all the time to try and set lap times. I went once and they where doing coach trips around the ring. Most people go to say they have driven it. Some racing teams go on public days to check fee things out on there cars but don't go mad. The car park is amazing as people will back me up who have been before. Everything from the worlds super cars right down to the mk 1 golf which will probably be the fastest as the locals drive the best round there.

Stupid question... why are you not allowed timing??? :shrug:

Simple - to stop you pushing too hard and crashing. As others have said, do the Ring to have the experience, drive it like a road as thats what it is, its not a track as such as cars can overtake and there can be a lot of traffic. Even if you know the track very well and know you can take a corner at 100+MPH, you dont know what might be stopped around the next corner. Trying to go as quick as you can is an accident waiting to happen ;)

If you want to time laps at the ring, drive it in GT5, not real life.

As others have said, driving the ring can be dangerous at the best of times, but trying to "out do" each other will end in tears

Deserves to be shot? You bellend

Anyone trying to beat a set time could well end up killing someone else; shooting them first would stop that happening, so who's the bellend?

A trip to the ring should be fun (it's worth it just for the car park), but posting up a "sub 8-min lap time challenge" shows a lack of maturity and respect for the ring in my eyes.

All my own opinion of course ;)

There is a thread for people going to the ring next year. Have a search stu for it. I think ekona was just trying to say that you must be mad to do it on a public day. I have done the ring about 15 times in various cars. Not yet in the zed. Every time I go I show the upmost respect to other drivers and the track. Have seen quite a few cars and bikes end up in the Tyres/fence. The run off ain't great either so the slightest mistake and your gone. As for timing there is signs up everywhere saying no timing allowed. If your found timing could see it being an instant ban.

Here's the link to the trip we have scheduled for April 2011 viewtopic.php?f=97&t=42241&start=0 with names thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=42285

As others have mentioned, this is not an event which we are to prove who can get round the ring the quickest. I've also seen a number of accidents on the ring, and the amount of traffic or potential delays on the ring means you won't get your sub 8 mins unless you are totally commited and taking risks! As Ekona has mentioned, best to visit the ring to obtain a sub 8 during a private booking, such as club days etc? Public days are too risky for achieving lap records.

You are more than welcome to tag along pop your name and others on the list if you're interested.

I'm no expert but your bike would struggle to corner as fast as that, even struggle to match or supercede the straights too. Realistically, on an open day, you'd not get within 9 mins never mind sub 8.

However, your shout, in the vid up there^^, that driver had a closed track session and probably the whole GM motorsports team behind him.

Good luck :)

This is the level of commitment needed to get a sub-8 time... This challenge of yours would result in at least 1 crash....

I feel that it is highly unlikely to be able to get a sub 8minute lap in any road car under 400bhp per ton & without track orientated tyres. Not to mention knowing the track inside out. Just watch the video, the guy is hanging the ZR1 (620 HP, 595 lb.-ft. torque, 1,519 kg) So its the same weight as the Zed but twice the power &probably grip too :bang:

So I feel that putting a post up challenging people to go flat out on a public day is not really on & just asking for a serious accident to happen. Don`t get me wrong I love to drive on track & have done nearly every month for the last 4-5years.

When I went to the ring I did 4 laps and learnt probably less than 1% of the corners. By learnt I mean I knew roughly how long they were and how sharp, and I only remembered those when I was actually on them.

I got chatting to a guy who spent a couple or more holidays per YEAR at the ring doing 50+ laps during each visit and it took him a few years to learn the circuit properly.

There are so many blind corners and crests its not even funny. The other problem is one blind crest/bend which is quite sharp can look on approach, identical to another which could probably be taken at three times the speed. Get the two mixed up on your "timed" lap, and a serious accident will ensue, if not death.

This club WILL NOT promote any event where members are encouraged to do timed laps on the ring.

The sub 8 minute was just a joke, did not expect such anger in response.

Of course, whenever you drive an unfamiliar track you take your time and keep within the rules of the track. I'm not suggesting we get drunk, drive about as fast as possible and mow down some marshalls for a laugh.

This club WILL NOT promote any event where members are encouraged to do timed laps on the ring.

Don't you think that's a bit heavy handed? Lighten up a bit :drunk:

The Nurburgring is not a track. It is a derestricted toll road with two entrances/exits.

Any vehicle which is taxed and insured (although the insurance will not actually cover you on the ring) can drive on it. You could in theory drive round a blind bend at 60mph only to find a tour bus slowly making its way uphill at 20mph.

The rules are to keep to the right at all times if travelling slower than others. If you take the "racing" line on the ring and are hit from behind, its YOUR fault.

You promoted it as "the faster the better"

We have already had to post messages of condolence to the family of one member that lost their life in a Z. We don't want to do it again, so no, its not heavy handed to say that we will not support any trips to the ring that involve any form of timing individual laps what so ever.

'Faster the better' was relating to vehicles used.

Forget it, I thought a bit of humour and a nice trip to Germany would be good.

I will ensure future posts are deadly serious to avoid further confusion. As for bringing up Ian - that's was a terrible accident, but please don't suggest my intention was to risk the lives of forum members - that's not on.

Merry Christmas.

So the faster the better was related to vehicles, but in no way meant to intimate that the cars would need to travel fast, and the 8 minutes was just a laugh. Oh in that case I got it all wrong.

You see how well sarcasm works without smilies?

Anyway - thread locked - some ar already going to the ring, without stop watches.