private plate.

iain10101

We have chosen our private number plate and got a price etc, so ready to get it done. But, once we have the new number plate on the car what happens to the old registration number? I kinda want to keep it, so when we sell the 350 to upgrade to another one we will want to transfer the old registration number back onto the car. Its confusing me! as i know quite a few of you peeps have private plates could you give me a clue as to what happens to the original number. Ive read a few things but am still confused please help.

We have chosen our number plate and got a price etc, so ready to get it done. But, once we have the new number plate on the car what happens to the old number plate? I kinda want to keep it, so when we sell the 350 to upgrade to another one we will want to transfer the old number plate back onto the car. Its confusing me! as i know quite a few of you peeps have private plates could you give me a clue as to what happens to the original number. Ive read a few things but am still confused please help.

The old plate usually comes back to the car when you change back

We have chosen our number plate and got a price etc, so ready to get it done. But, once we have the new number plate on the car what happens to the old number plate? I kinda want to keep it, so when we sell the 350 to upgrade to another one we will want to transfer the old number plate back onto the car. Its confusing me! as i know quite a few of you peeps have private plates could you give me a clue as to what happens to the original number. Ive read a few things but am still confused please help.

Lifted from the website;

If you have the space then put these into storage because you may be able to re-instate your old registration to your vehicle when you come to change it, although there are no guarantees (and you may just get a registration mark which relates to the age of your vehicle).

Therefore no guarantees.

^^^^^ this.

You normally get the same number back.

Changing a number etc is actually a very easy process if you go to a DVLA office and do it yourself. Leave it to car dealers and it's a fricken nightmare!

So true. It took me all of 10 mins at the DVLA office in Sheffiled. I was shocked it was so easy. I expected it to take an age and be like dealing with mentalists. In reality it was a doddle.

So, you buy your plate from the dvla or wherever and then wait for the docs to come through the post and then just visit the local dvla office and job done? Sorry to drone on I just wanna get it right as first time. Can you go direct to the local office and do it all there inc buying the number? What sort of timescale are we looking at to get plate on car, im inpatient!!! lol

So, you buy your plate from the dvla or wherever and then wait for the docs to come through the post and then just visit the local dvla office and job done? Sorry to drone on I just wanna get it right as first time. Can you go direct to the local office and do it all there inc buying the number? What sort of timescale are we looking at to get plate on car, im inpatient!!! lol

Having done this 6 times now I feel your confusion but it really is simple (its the fact that it seems like it should be confusing thats messing you up);

- Buy plate off DVLA website (not 100% but pretty sure you can't do this from local office).

- Entitlement document (V750) sent to you by DVLA Swansea

- Fill in the Entitlement docs

- Take to DVLA local office with V5, MOT and photocopy of tax disc (I've never needed or provided the photocopy) - ensuring you take the ticket for 'I'm dropping off docs' from the queue ticketing system (whilst drinking in the near suicidal faces of the people who have been there for 3 hours sorting real problems).

- Wait 10 mins (you can use this time to have a scratch or pretend your important by checking emails on your Smartphone every so often following intense frowning and mutter that 'heads are gonna roll' when you get back to the office)

- Helpful minion takes the docs and off you pop.

- Wait by your front door for up to 7 days (can take longer but local offices aim for 7 day turn around - mine took 3 days for a reassignment)

- Assignment doc returns with a nice new tax disc and MOT.

- Cut plates, change tax disc ***ALERTALERTALERT*** DONT FORGET TO TELL INSURANCE COMPANY.

- Growl about the injustice of insurance company charging £20 just to change your bloody plate on the certificate.

- Off you pop.

- 2-6 weeks later V5 will appear from DVLA Swansea.

Shazam!

Ricey,

Have they changed to this in Chester recently?

When I did mine,I took the retention cert.,tax disc.MOT and V5. They re-printed the Tax Disc ,MOT with the new reg and gave a V?? to go and buy the plate. V5 sent in post from Swansea. I had already had the plate made using the retention cert.

As Ricey said DO NOT FORGET TO TELL YOUR INSURANCE CO.

must be different DVLA offices have different arrangments now as I bought my car from a guy in Hull who had his own plate on it and the documents could not be done at the local DVLA office it had to be sent to them only, it took just over a week for go through. My brother just bought a plate and he has had the same here in London documents must be sent off it could not be done while you wait again it took about 10 days.

Ricey,

Have they changed to this in Chester recently?

When I did mine,I took the retention cert.,tax disc.MOT and V5. They re-printed the Tax Disc ,MOT with the new reg and gave a V?? to go and buy the plate. V5 sent in post from Swansea. I had already had the plate made using the retention cert.

As Ricey said DO NOT FORGET TO TELL YOUR INSURANCE CO.

Actually your spot on mate - they've apparently stopped the 'check and wait service' or whatever they call it in Chester......although I neveractually knew that it could be done the way you've just described I always waited 7 days which was most miffing as the first I heard of it was when they said they were stopping it.

Iain - it might be worth seeing if your local office still do the 'check and wait' thingy (BTW I'm making up that turn of phrase so don't ask them for a 'check and wait'!).........basically means you'd get it there any then.

.........you'll need to amend and change some of the bullet points in my list though

Delete;

- Take ticket for 'I'm dropping stuff off'

- Wait 10 mins

Add

- Take ticket for 'I'm getting stuff done today and by the Gods I'll be here until the end of time'

- Mental state degenerates as the hours pass. By 3 hours you'll look like a Lemming with Bi-Polar

- Plate ready for immediate application to the car.........not that you'll care about the car anymore or have the ability to feed yourself by this point.

^^^^^ this.

You normally get the same number back. Leave it to car dealers and it's a fricken nightmare!

Not all dealers are a nightmare, my plate was switched from my old car to my new one and the original on my old car reinstated, all sorted out by the dealer with no fuss or drama.

Try Demon Plates, you will have to send off or scan and email your licence and/or passport (proof of id) and your V5 (proof of ownership), this is the legislative demand and not the online plate makers.

^^^^^ this.

You normally get the same number back. Leave it to car dealers and it's a fricken nightmare!

Not all dealers are a nightmare, my plate was switched from my old car to my new one and the original on my old car reinstated, all sorted out by the dealer with no fuss or drama.

How long did it take though?

My family all have 'private regs' and when they have changed cars they've been quoted 14 days for changing plates hence delaying the car! I normally do it for them at the DVLA office and it takes 10 mins although sometimes it can be 7 days but at least you can have your new car!

I've done 3 plates this year and if you use the post it will take between 7-14 days. You just need to take this into account when selling or buying, never used the local DVLA but clearly from these post that should speed things up.

^^^^^ this.

My family all have 'private regs' and when they have changed cars they've been quoted 14 days for changing plates hence delaying the car! I normally do it for them at the DVLA office and it takes 10 mins although sometimes it can be 7 days but at least you can have your new car!

Took my docs in a week before, all ready on 1st Sep pick up, all cool. Did it through the Glasgow office of the DVLA when I originally got the plate and yes it took 10/15 mins, but I'm lucky that I have one of their offices relatively close, some don't. Dealer was hassle free, some aren't.

^^^^^ this.

Took my docs in a week before, all ready on 1st Sep pick up, all cool. Did it through the Glasgow office of the DVLA when I originally got the plate and yes it took 10/15 mins, but I'm lucky that I have one of their offices relatively close, some don't. Dealer was hassle free, some aren't.

It's good to get it done in a week! Obviously an organised dealership! :thumbs: