Banned

Kev946

I have not posted on this as its a touchy subject with me, but please dont post things like this as my son has autism and it is very sad that people find that funny, even though i know it is not directed at these people, its clever to make fun of a very sad and challenging thing that some people have to go through, and others that are in their life that help them through a very difficult situation

The problem is where does one draw the line then? And finding something funny is not the same as making a joke about it.

People make jokes about everything. There are people making jokes about fat people. Did those people choose to be fat? There are jokes about blind people, deaf people ... did they choose to be like this? Should we therefore not make jokes about it? Anyway this is off-topic, but imho it is hypocrite to laugh with some people who haven't got the highest intelligence and do stupid things (its not as if they have chosen their IQ themselves, just like somebody who is handicapped didnt choose their handicap) but to find it "offensive" to laugh with people who have other "disabilities".

my 2 cents, and now back on topic or either start a new thread on this ;)

AND WHERE IS THAT LINK I ASKED FOR? :rant::p

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is where does one draw the line then? And finding something funny is not the same as making a joke about it.

People make jokes about everything. There are people making jokes about fat people. Did those people choose to be fat?

Often and indirectly, yes.

Did those people choose to be fat? There are jokes about blind people, deaf people ... did they choose to be like this?

Usually, no.

Hence fat people are typically fair game in my book, and I've practically got a degree in who you can and can't pick on :thumbs:

Being "bigger boned" I can relate to the fact that yes, I pretty much chose to be this way. Yes there are a minority for whom its not a choice, but a medical condition.

Had someone asked me four years ago if I wanted to be as big as I am, I would have said no thanks and told them where to get off. Had that same person asked me every now and then if I fancied a night out on the beer, a Burger King for lunch once in a while and Pizza on a Friday night as its a great way to start the weekend, and its easier than actually cooking, then Id have said yes.

Which is pretty much what I said to myself subconciously, and hey presto, 4 years later and Im about 4 stone heavier. Ooops. When did that happen? I just seemed to wake up one morning and found I was fat.

On the plus side though I have joined weight watchers, and lost half a stone so far. So Im now choosing to do something about it.

Plus Im thinking of the power to weight ratio of the car. Whats the point in saving a few KG here and there if the driver is carrying 30KG of unnecessary weight into the car! :lol:

On the plus side though I have joined weight watchers, and lost half a stone so far. So Im now choosing to do something about it.

quote]

Keep going mate I've lost over 5 stone this year. Was 21 stone.

May want to save your money for new clothes rather than mods?? NAH!!!!!

Hence fat people are typically fair game in my book, and I've practically got a degree in who you can and can't pick on :thumbs:

As a fat boy, I do not think it is fair game.

With that thought process, then everyone that is religious are fair game as that has been chosen, people who are poor because they have the potential to earn more, badly educated people because they did not pay attention at school, the list can go on and on.

Quite often (and NOT in my case as I am just lazy and like eating,) many fat people use it to overcome symptoms of depression. So poking fun at them just makes the situation worse.

I think we should hurl abuse at overly moderated forums and moderators on certain forum that have lost touch with reality. (Do you think I really have a personal agenda here,…not)

PS

Not saying Stephen's show is bad, I went recently and it was great and would recommend it again and again. I even purchased his DVD, full price not at the OC subsidised price by the way.

Guest prescience

PS

Not saying Stephen's show is bad, I went recently and it was great and would recommend it again and again. I even purchased his DVD, full price not at the OC subsidised price by the way.

Unless you already do, I think you should subsidise your DVD here too Stephen :dry: you Comical B*stard :p

Being "bigger boned" I can relate to the fact that yes, I pretty much chose to be this way. Yes there are a minority for whom its not a choice, but a medical condition.

Had someone asked me four years ago if I wanted to be as big as I am, I would have said no thanks and told them where to get off. Had that same person asked me every now and then if I fancied a night out on the beer, a Burger King for lunch once in a while and Pizza on a Friday night as its a great way to start the weekend, and its easier than actually cooking, then Id have said yes.

Which is pretty much what I said to myself subconciously, and hey presto, 4 years later and Im about 4 stone heavier. Ooops. When did that happen? I just seemed to wake up one morning and found I was fat.

Plus Im thinking of the power to weight ratio of the car. Whats the point in saving a few KG here and there if the driver is carrying 30KG of unnecessary weight into the car! :lol:

Chesterfield at weight watchers :p

fatfighters.jpg

As a fat boy, I do not think it is fair game.

With that thought process, then everyone that is religious are fair game as that has been chosen, people who are poor because they have the potential to earn more, badly educated people because they did not pay attention at school, the list can go on and on.

Quite often (and NOT in my case as I am just lazy and like eating,) many fat people use it to overcome symptoms of depression. So poking fun at them just makes the situation worse.

I think we should hurl abuse at overly moderated forums and moderators on certain forum that have lost touch with reality. (Do you think I really have a personal agenda here,…not)

PS

Aaah, let's make sure people know where I'm coming from here. I'm not saying throw rocks at fat people in the street because they deserve it; and I said they 'often' chose to be like that (through lifestyle choices etc) and did not so 'always', accepting that there are medical reasons for obesity.

And I'm not saying to be cruel to fat people - I'm talking about highlighting it, jokingly, in a comedy environment. It's like when Al Murray finds a big fat bloke in the front of his theatre, he goes, "alright big lad. You've been sat there for 10 minutes without moving, haven't you. I'll just go and get you a packet of crisps before you pass out." It's cheeky but not too offensive, in my book. This sort of activity with someone who is blind or deaf wouldn't be acceptable, hence my initial comment.

Bit puzzled by this comment though: "With that thought process, then everyone that is religious are fair game as that has been chosen, people who are poor because they have the potential to earn more, badly educated people because they did not pay attention at school, the list can go on and on."

Each of these are unique cases. Religious people very rarely *choose* their religion per se; they are brought up with a faith and belief that is institutionalised long before they are capable of that level of independent commitment. Hence not fair game. The majority of the world's poor people are stuck in a circle of poverty where they have no opportunity to break out of it, meaning they would not be fair game also. However, people who are badly educated because they chose not to listen - f*ck 'em. Fair game. If they wanted to be ignorant, they can suffer the consequences. If you want the list to 'go on and on', expect each entry to have unique circumstances!

The subsidised cost is no longer available by the way, it was just for Christmas. It was open to all 350z owners. I didn't post the offer on here because I was having issues with some pretty shocking moderation at the time and I felt anything I posted while that was ongoing that was considered vaguely commercial was going to get me villified. Sorry about that - I was trying to stop unnecessary flaming!

I knew I should have picked a better disguise than a purple dress and blue jacket.:blush:

In comedy there is almost always a loser, a target that people laugh at, from the days of slapstick where we laughed at the person who got it in the face with a custard pie, and now the person whos beleifs are ridiculed or who's physical appearence is poked fun at.

Tom and Jerry, Roadrunner, Itchy & Scratcty, pinky & the brain, bugs bunny & elmer fudd. There is always a loser, one that we laugh at.

People can poke fun at me for being overweight, but I could equally have a pop at sarnie, offering him a stepladder so he can wax his 350's roof for example.

I suppose half the game is knowing in advance how your comments will be received. It cant be easy going out on stage cracking a joke and wondering if people are going to find it funny or offensive....

PS

Unless you already do, I think you should subsidise your DVD here too Stephen :dry: you Comical B*stard :p

If you wanted to buy it at that rate but didn't, PM me and I'll do a special 'voucher' to get the DVD for just £5 - but only for members of this forum. I wouldn't like to think members of this club missed out so I'll hold this offer until the weekend. Hope that's fair :)

"alright big lad. You've been sat there for 10 minutes without moving, haven't you. I'll just go and get you a packet of crisps before you pass out." It's cheeky but not too offensive, in my book. This sort of activity with someone who is blind or deaf wouldn't be acceptable, hence my initial comment.

You think that is less offensive than making a joke about a blind guy?

You think if someone who is obese for god-knows-what reason appreciates it all the time they compare him/her with a lazy always-eating-crap-stuf person? For me its the same stuff. Not to say you cant, as far as i am concerned one can make jokes about everything, but to get back to where all this started, its just hypocrite to laugh with some "disabilities" and think it is ok, but not with others.

"alright big lad. You've been sat there for 10 minutes without moving, haven't you. I'll just go and get you a packet of crisps before you pass out." It's cheeky but not too offensive, in my book. This sort of activity with someone who is blind or deaf wouldn't be acceptable, hence my initial comment.

You think that is less offensive than making a joke about a blind guy?

You think if someone who is obese for god-knows-what reason appreciates it all the time they compare him/her with a lazy always-eating-crap-stuf person? For me its the same stuff. Not to say you cant, as far as i am concerned one can make jokes about everything, but to get back to where all this started, its just hypocrite to laugh with some "disabilities" and think it is ok, but not with others.

Fair enough, but how often is obesity not a self-inflicted disability? It's not a disability and many disabled people would be hugely offended if you said it was.

And to answer your initial point, yes it is. Given the choice, would you rather be fat, or blind/deaf? Unless you are morbidly obese and have critical type 2 diabetes, it's a minor physical ailment at most. Unlike the genuine disability of blindness and/or deafness. They don't compare, sorry.

I have to admit there were jokes about David Blunket that I heard around the time of his departure that made me laugh. Had I been blind I may have been rather offended by them, but I wasnt. I laughed at them - does that make me a bad person?

People make jokes about fat people, and yes sometimes I do find them offensive, but I can see how others would find them funny. Just not me.

It all comes back to what I said previously I think, and thats that there will always be a victim/target of comedy be it a person, a relegious beleif, a specific culture or whatever else.

Anyone think this topic needs splitting off - comedy/where are the lines, and this one for Kevs banning?

Stephen,

After the age or 16-18 I believe people choose their religion.

If they where "given" one before that age, then at 18 they are likely to have the freedom to choose to believe or not, or to choose another religion. Therefore they have chosen just like I have with cream cakes and pork pies. Thats my point.

But we here less and less jokes about religion nowadays.

Still insist that Stephen’s DVD is worth a fiver, or even at full price its still worth it. The show is better still, almost as good as his Zed.

but I could equally have a pop at sarnie, offering him a stepladder so he can wax his 350's roof for example..

At least I'm taller than I am wide :p Big boned indeed :lol:

Close thing though chum ;)

5'8" ain't that short :cry:

pretty wide though ;)

:lol: Think your mistaking me for Chesterfield ;)