Best torque wrench to buy?

Ricey

'Dad' advice required again!

Following my hideous bolt head stripping experiences at the weekend I've decided to invest in a torque wrench.

Prices seem to vary hugely and whilst I don't want a 'Wilkinson value happy shopper range' wrench I similarly don't want a 'snap-on bolt-bummer deluxe' effort.

Also totally ignorant of what nm range I require for general fiddling with the car jobs so could do with an pointer in this direction too.

Fanks! :thumbs:

depends on what your torquing up really, i would say you need 3 torque wrenches in a garage a large one, medium one and a small one.

big one for doing things like wheel nuts and high torque parts, and a small one for doing low torque settings and a middle one for all the jobs in the middle.

if you get the middle one first you should find it covers most jobs. so try and find one with a wide torque setting, then get the other 2 as and when a job crops up that needs it.

have a flick through your owners manual. see what the variety of torque settings are. and then try and find a wrench that fits it.

halfrauds do a professional one which is very good but its about £60 if you have access to a traders discount it should make it cheaper.

its not cheap but it should cover most jobs.

If you break the halfords one you can just go back in and get it replaced :thumbs:

Really?? I had mine from Halfrauds.... paid a complete fortune for it, I think about £50'odd quid. Although I believe this is the middle of the road one, like rtbiscuit says.... ;)

If you break the halfords one you can just go back in and get it replaced :thumbs:

Really?? I had mine from Halfrauds.... paid a complete fortune for it, I think about £50'odd quid. Although I believe this is the middle of the road one, like rtbiscuit says.... ;)

Funnily enough that was the first one I looked at and it has some right good reviews.......bit pricier than I wanted to pay but it old adage 'you get what you pay for' has come back to haunt me many a time.

I'd go for the Halfrauds Pro range as well. They really are very, very good tools.

That said, the torque wrenches I've got are Sealey ones nabbed from Aldi or Costco (can't remember which one now) on one of their sales, and they're certainly decent enough for me.

• 6 months later...

Holy thread revival batman!

Carla has kindly given me some pennies to go out and buy some exciting sexy tools to break things with.

I'm finally going to bag up a torque wrench - think I'm going to plump for the Halfords one (based on reviews and lifetime guarantee).........is this the one I want? I still don't fully get what a 'good range' is with the nm's.

Also can someone explain how you know what nm or ft lb's it needs to be set too for what bolts.........do you literally have to look up in a service guide for every damn bolt or it there a general rule of thumb based on the side of the bolt?

I think the term is ( all the gear, no idea ) :lol: Halfords are very good though for what we need. My ratchet spanners have lasted very well and they get some abuse :teeth: I normally just go for the torque setting of FT though unless it looks delicate

I've got plenty of ideas...........they just all end the same way :teeth:a_bomb_article1.jpg

FT = Furry Trout? :shrug:

You could also opt for Teng Tools, these come with a life time guarentee.

They are quite pricy, but have seen some on eBay for around £40, new.

Also, the wrentchs work best in their mid range apparently, may be worth bearing in mind.

:)

Just got my 1st torque wrench yesterday - went for the Halford Pro Torque (40 - 200 Nm/ 30 - 150 lbf.ft).

Normal label price £69.99, with trade card £55.99. I dont know if they have been on offer below that.

1st job is to put the spacers I got from ZmanAlex on - seems people recomment between 80 - 100 lb/ft.

Got the 150 piece pro tool kit too - had been eyeing these up for a while. They are on offer from normal label price £199 to £99.99. (Trade card get it for £99.93 so not much in it with the current offer price). Quite a bit of stuff in it, including 3 ratchet spanners so thats a 1st for my toolkit.

Now do I do my belts and plugs myself.... hmmmm

John