Pistonheads 370Z comp ungrate-fest

AK350Z

First off, probably best to read the weeks end-of-term report from the 370Z competitions winner:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=920495&mid=0&i=0&nmt=RE:%20PH%20370Z%20Breathes%20Fresh%20Northern%20Air&mid=0

Now then, its hard to come at this without sounding like some whinging fanboy, but I felt the OP/comp winner is perhaps a bit of a wet lettuce!

While I appreciate there is a fair bit of cabin noise in the Zed, it's not that bad is it? I mean, I'm coming up the car scale to the Zed, I've never had any work supplied Bimmers or Mercs, so have no idea about cars you can hear a pin drop in. I mean, it is a sports car right? Surely some noise is expected?

Next, this:

I arrived at work to all the usual jibes I am sure other 350/370 drivers are used to - plastic car, Datsun, Chav car (probably the colour), but it went un-noticed by many, whereas a Porsche etc wouldn't; this is good or bad depending on your point of view.

Errr, no? Either I've got some weird mates and co-workers but I've had none of that. As far as I know round here, people don't associate Nissan with rubbishy old plastic tat anymore.

More:

however another niggle became apparent, with the car so good from 4500-6500rpm you want to utilise this. In 2nd gear at horsebox speed the revs are approx 5000, leaving you with not a lot to go until the overtake, and a mid-overtake change. In 3rd the car is too sluggish and the lower rev range doesn't give the oomph needed. I think this is all relative as it is quick all the way up the rev range - it just 'feels' slow!

Assuming the 370Z isn't too dissimilar from my 313, I'm not sure what he means here. Possibly not used to the linear power delivery? I know the sound of the engine as stock doesn't exactly encourage you to extend it at the top end, but I certainly wouldn't say it was sluggish lower down.

Discuss! :lol:

oh, and forgot this:

It would be great as a toy car but there are many options for £35k that I would put above it, including TVRs and Porsches.

I hate it when people compare new with used! :rant: Doubt you would find many new equivalent Porches (Cayman?) for £35K. No idea what new TVR's used to cost, but then you have to keep them on the road too.....

Lol like it when he said he pulled up against other comparable coupes, a celica and a tt.....pffff.

I must admit when I had a 370 for a week while the 350 was in for repairs at first I was majorly disappointed. It was very noisy, and the suspension was extremely hard. I felt every cats eye up my back. I didn't like the paddle shift auto at all and I really missed the exhaust of my roadster as the 370 was so quiet. I agree it felt a lot wider but I had no issues with head room at all and im 6ft7.

However I must admit that by the time the 370 had to go back I had totally fallen in love with it. I think the 350 is more raw and engaging but the 370 is such a nicer place to be. The cockpit feels so much better quality. Having been in colins 370 I think I realise now the suspension was so hard because it hadn't settled in and if I could have had a manual and a stillen exhaust it would have been perfect. It felt sooo much more powerful than the 350. It was a great car and in the next year or two I would look to buy one. They are far rarer than porsches and tvrs and way more fun.

I will always remember looking out the window and seeing the side profile of the 370 in reflections and thinking dam this thing looks good.

If I can put my tuppence worth in here, coming from a RX8 to the 370, I know what "mixing" the gearbox is all about to get in a "good overtaking" position, but the 370 is in a different class, effortlessly accelerates in 2nd, 3rd and well 4th just blows most of the motorway opposition away.

The car is noisy in a "raw" type fashion, the 8 was super smooth on the "loud" peddle, but I put this down to a mixture of 6 cylinders and a huge amount of rubber on the tarmac for the 370 and being able to continue to 9.5k RPM before up change on the 8.

I've had nothing but admiring looks and comments from workmates and friends alike, a friend who was over at the ring recently told me of Nissan having a promo day, the GTR's were getting a lot of "child" like attention from the wannabe's, but he said, the real star of the show was the 370, so the reviewer is talking out his ar5e here.

The suspension on stock, IMO, is not impressive, could/should be a lot lower and I don't find it stiff at all, more aimed at Merkins, a bit wallowy, but then again I have been used to a lowered set up on what was essentialy a go-kart, a very good go-kart though. My first serious mod will be to address this issue.

As for comparing what is around for the same price, believe me, I looked at all the opposition, couldn't afford the options list on the Audi or the Cayman, before you know where you are, both these are closer to 40k for the same spec. For the thrill factor, I believe that you would have to move onto M3 territory, a new M3 that is and if I had the dosh for one of them then I would have plumped for a GTR.

The 370, IMHO, is miles in front of the opposition and with a few carefully applied mods, would take it into another dimension.

I didn't want one and wasn't interested at all until I sat in yours George - and I think you've just sold it again :thumbs::lol:

If I can put my tuppence worth in here, coming from a RX8 to the 370, I know what "mixing" the gearbox is all about to get in a "good overtaking" position, but the 370 is in a different class, effortlessly accelerates in 2nd, 3rd and well 4th just blows most of the motorway opposition away.

The car is noisy in a "raw" type fashion, the 8 was super smooth on the "loud" peddle, but I put this down to a mixture of 6 cylinders and a huge amount of rubber on the tarmac for the 370 and being able to continue to 9.5k RPM before up change on the 8.

I've had nothing but admiring looks and comments from workmates and friends alike, a friend who was over at the ring recently told me of Nissan having a promo day, the GTR's were getting a lot of "child" like attention from the wannabe's, but he said, the real star of the show was the 370, so the reviewer is talking out his ar5e here.

The suspension on stock, IMO, is not impressive, could/should be a lot lower and I don't find it stiff at all, more aimed at Merkins, a bit wallowy, but then again I have been used to a lowered set up on what was essentialy a go-kart, a very good go-kart though. My first serious mod will be to address this issue.

As for comparing what is around for the same price, believe me, I looked at all the opposition, couldn't afford the options list on the Audi or the Cayman, before you know where you are, both these are closer to 40k for the same spec. For the thrill factor, I believe that you would have to move onto M3 territory, a new M3 that is and if I had the dosh for one of them then I would have plumped for a GTR.

The 370, IMHO, is miles in front of the opposition and with a few carefully applied mods, would take it into another dimension.

Clearly a hater to start off with who felt cheated by having to drive a Nissan instead of a Porsche! It's not like we need to bother paying attention to a review from someone like that, we've got plenty of sound experience here and options of trying for ourselves!

We traded in a celica for the Z (albeit a 350z) but there is now way on this planet that you can compare them.

The celica is gutless, sounds tinny and a bit limp wristed, looks ok if you like that kind of thing. The Z is essentially a muscle car, big engine up front, RWD. put that against a FWD car with a crappy engine that would struggle to accelerate its way out of a wet paper bag and it really is no-contest.

If you read the comments on the story, he didn't even know it was a celica, thought it was an MR2, and for that alone he should be receiving a slap. I had a rev 3 t-bar MR2 and it is epically better looking than the celica, still not that quick in n/a guise but still!

I read that bit yesterday and found myself agreeing with just about everything the guy said. He's got it spot-on IMHO.

The comparisons to the TT and Celica are fair as they're both 2+2 coupes and the strict 2-seater 370Z dwarfs them: Note he's talking about size there and nothing else. The roofline doesn't have a lot of clearance. There's a fair amount of road noise, which is why everyone wants to fit aftermarket exhausts so you hear the engine rather than the tyre roar. Assuming that the gear ratios aren't remarkably different from the 350, then you do get caught between gears at the top of 2nd, I had that issue many a time with mine. It is thirsty, and there are better cars (I use that term loosely as it depends on what you want from a vehicle) if you're prepared to take a one or two year old model instead of brand new.

Does any of that make the 370Z a bad car? No, of course not, but the guy can only compare with he's used to and for the most part it's a very fair comparison.

TBH, you are all missing the point. This report will turn off all the to**ers on other forums from getting one, which means it will remain more exclusive :teeth:

To be fair the chap has a few points, but he does over play them, or I take less notice as the better parts of the car make up for it, and we have a far far better forum than most car models!

If you own a 370Z and don't like the review - write a response on his forum - not this one. That way it may make a contribution. :headhurt:

I try not to post anything on Pistonheads, you just get drowned out by the masses. (and I don't have a 370Z, I was just annoyed by his various apples-to-oranges comparisons)

I wouldn't worry about it. There's also a thread tearing the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport to pieces at the moment. It seems most people who post on there are sales reps with remapped BMW diesels anyway.

...and you'd have to wonder how many of them have actually driven a Bugatti Veyron SS as well.

In fairness I did make a post on the thread about his review, not that I care what kind of response it had but I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, right? I must say though, 1 week is not enough time to form a well rounded review of a car, you have to learn it, understand it and he clearly didn't. He was banging on too much about his old TVR, I couldn't give a thank you :lol:

Also with regards to his work colleagues comments, well I've never heard such rubbish. Yeah we have a chuckle about Datsuns but I've never heard it called a chav car, I didn't even have those comments when I used to drive Hondas and that scene is inundated with chavs. I can only conclude with this he works with an unfortunate bunch who only have German rep mobiles. There is a world outside of VAG and BMW.

1 week is not enough time to form a well rounded review of a car

Funny, most car journos can do it in a couple of hours. Did you drive your car for longer than a week before you decided to buy it then?

Yes, some journos can form an accurate opinion in a short time, but this is why magazines have long term cars isn't it?

During the ownership of any car you will uncover various foibles, I bought mine based on the sexy lines :blush: , and a 3 hour test drive. As that didn't throw up any big supprises, the purchase was still on. You take a chance on the rest.

Bought mine after a 20 min test drive - maybe I should be a journo :lol:

I get Geoff's point though, the guy obviously isnt journo material, he is constantly compring the performance to his TVR which is an out and out sports car, while the 370z is more sports GT, and the luxury side to his BMW, which has crap sports car capabilities but much better interior in terms of half a tonne of sound deadening. Put the same amount of deadening in the Zed and it will be whisper quiet too.

The only comment I take offence to in his review is the chav car :boxing: