DOH!

HaydnH

I have the chipsaway guy coming around to give me a quote for a small stone chip and an alloy refurb in about 30 minutes. I haven't driven my car in about 3 weeks, that last drive was a very short journey and I hadn't driven it for about 2 weeks before that. I thought I'd give it a wash so the guy can see the paintwork clean but my frickin batteries dead!! DOH!

I wonder if the chipsaway guy has any jump leads? :angry:

I keep jump leads in my spare wheel well.

No use to you, but i thought it may be comforting for you to know ;)

:p

Think you can do the 140 odd miles in time for me to get the car washed before Chipsaway arrive? You've got about 15 minutes! :D

Out of curiosity, anybody know how long you can leave a Z ('07 313 GT roadster) with just the alarm on before it runs out from full battery? Well, drained enough not to start anyway.

I just read a "howto jump your car" thing (I haven't had to jump a car in a while so wanted a memory jog), it advised never connecting all 4 terminals of the 2 batteries as this may cause an explosion?!? Has anyone ever actually heard of this happening??

if you connected them back to front it wouldnt end well... and wouldnt explode but the battery would release the excess pressure through its venting points. no healthy fumes mind.

your meant to connect to an earthing point anyway not to the direct -ve terminal as i recall.

Out of curiosity, anybody know how long you can leave a Z ('07 313 GT roadster) with just the alarm on before it runs out from full battery? Well, drained enough not to start anyway.

Hmm, my 55 reg lasted 30 days, just about started...after leaving it for 3 weeks a couple of months later it needed jump starting and wouldn't hold the charge after that.

Pete

I remembered the order correctly - although I'm sure I used to use the dead instead of another earthing point which apparently is dangerous - this can cause an explosion as hydrogen is released from the battery when charging and you may get sparks... apparently it's a 1 in a million chance of happening but nasty when it does (acid everywhere!).

By the sounds of it I would strongly suggest some of you invest in a trickle charger. We all use them in my family as cars can be left to stand for quite sometime, epsecially my old man's classics. They're not a huge amount of money and will keep your battery nice and healthy :)

Mines lasts about a week :thumbdown:

And my battery is good :thumbs:

Trickle charger is the way to go if possible.

ps. I sell them. :blush::blush::blush::lol::lol::lol:

I may get 1 for emergencies - I'd prefer to not let my battery run down every 3 weeks in the first place though.

didnt realise chips away did alloy refurb - any idea of cost and how good a job ?

They do wet paint refurbs which is what I'm after (no poweder coating), £50 per corner apparently so may be cheaper elsewhere. I can't say anything about the quality, Chipsaway is a franchise so it would vary between regions, if I decide to use them I'll create a post of the local guy to me and a review.

BTW, the guy who gave the quote today said he wouldn't sort my stone chip, he'd either use a paint pen which apparently I could do just as well or it would be a full bonnet respray. Not sure why Chipsaway say this on their website then:

Therefore, instead of an expensive complete paint repair across a whole panel, our ChipsAway professionals only need to paint the damaged area.

Does putting the roof up/down with the engine idling use any battery? I often put the top down just to reverse in to my tiny parking space. (Actually it's not that small but the guy next to me has to avoid the automatic gate opener so parks at a weird angle).

Also, do you think a tracker might make a noticeable difference to battery drain when it can't find a GPS signal, I park underground - I'm thinking along the lines of smart phones and how the GPS can drain battery life.