Problem since new tyres fitted

CMR

Was going to post this is the tyres section, but it is related to steering too so thought i'd put it here! :headhurt:

Basically, I had Bridgestone Potenza Re40's on all round, with the fronts at about 3mm, the rears were 1.8mm~ so obviously needed replacing, apart from the lack of tread on the rear now I had no problems at all with the Re40's and have done about 5k miles this year with them on.

I decided to get all 4 replaced, and ordered Falken 452's in standard Rays sizes and got them fitted a week or two ago.. Immediately after driving out the garage I noticed the steering didn't feel the same.. It felt alot lighter than before with the Re40's.. but I didn't know if it was just me paying more attention to the car so gave it a day or two.

After a few days and say 150 miles of driving I had noticed a few things, the steering is definitely lighter now, and I don't have as much confidence in the car at say 70+, the feedback just isnt there like it was with the potenzas and also that to turn in the road the same amount with the Falkens takes say an extra two inch of turn on the steering wheel than the potenzas if that makes sense?

I decided to take the car for 4 wheel alignment to see if that would throw anything up, the results were the rear right wheel was toe'ing out slightly, the front passenger was toe'ing in slightly and the drivers toe'ing out... this was strange considering I had no problems at all with the handling with the potenzas.. and I watched the garage fit the tyres.. nothing was touched on the suspension.

After they had 'corrected' the alignment, I drove home, and to be honest the car didn't feel any (if at all) different. I have the before and after results which I can post up if needed.

Has anyone else with Falken 452's experienced anything like this? Why would I notice such a difference going from RE40's which everyone says are rubbish to the Falkens.. and also why would my alignment of been out when it was driving fine before... and after its been corrected have no change?

I have come from cars that handle brilliantly, e.g a Clio 182 Trophy with Pilot Exalto PE2 tyres for example but I've never used falkens.

Any help appreciated, as really not enjoying driving the car now.. wish I'd kept my Re40's on and risked getting pulled for no tread on the rear!

Thanks.

I switched to Falkens this time round, and had exactly the same thing. felt very light at the front and did not feel as confident in cornering.

After 500 or so miles it felt much better, I have done a good 2k since putting them on and now I don't notice any difference of feel when compared to the Bridgestones. I corner at the same speed with the same confidence as I did before :thumbs:

Maybe give it a few more miles :shrug:

Not a great fan of the falkens,ive got them on mine,its only my opinion as i know there rated on here but there not much up on budget tyres,there pretty good value & do a job,they will need a few hundred miles to bed in, sounds more like over inflated to me. :thumbs:

sounds more like over inflated to me. :thumbs:

That was my thought - have you checked the pressures (35psi when cold) and maybe your old tyres where under inflated?

As has been said many times, in the dry you get away with virtually any old tyre, but see the difference when it is wet - with the tyre depth you were running on the rear with 040's in the wet that was a potentially lethal level of grip you had there :scare:

Thanks for the replies.

They are at 35psi, but this was done at the nearest petrol station with an air pump (5 miles away) so potentially not as 'cold' as they could of been.. can't get around this without a pump at home though.

Its nice (I think) that someone else has experienced the same switching to falkens.. I've done about 300 miles since fitting now and they are still the same.. but I'm just wondering whether the garage that did the alignment actually corrected it at all?

Thanks for the replies.

They are at 35psi, but this was done at the nearest petrol station with an air pump (5 miles away) so potentially not as 'cold' as they could of been.. can't get around this without a pump at home though.

Its nice (I think) that someone else has experienced the same switching to falkens.. I've done about 300 miles since fitting now and they are still the same.. but I'm just wondering whether the garage that did the alignment actually corrected it at all?

I checked all my tyre pressures, they were all OK, I just put it down to taking a little while to run in :thumbs:

Give it a few hundred miles more and see how you feel :shrug:

Would you still class your steering as lighter than before then with the Falkens or would you say its gone away after the miles.

I just can't see them improving to back how the potenzas were on my car, unless my alignment is still out (or potentially worse than before)

The 452s have softer sidewalls than the 040s and as such will need a higher pressure in. Try adding 2psi all round, although I suspect you'll end up nearer 4psi before you're happy. The 35psi works fine for either 040s or 050s, anything else will usually need adjustment.

try dropping the pressure maybe a tad below oem reccomendation.

i'm trying them out on my S2000, but the advantage i have is i'm running a lower profile and a wider tyre than the OEm rays on the Zed. plus it being a lighter car, its felt very good. i also had a full hawkeye alignment done and had some corrections done.

i would agree that the steering was lighter slightly, but i only gained the extra turning after the alignment. but i also gained better feedback through the car. and am alot more aware of what each corner is doing. still need some more milage on them and then maybe a good back road jolly before i review them fully.

i have found that the wet weather performance is good on the falkens. and it has been very planted in heavy rain when follwing the big dawg and tarmac

overall for value for money and what they offer i'm very pleased.

Think i'm going to get the alignment checked on saturday at another garage with the hawkeye kit just to make sure everything is well. If it is, then going to try different tyre pressures see if I can find something i'm happy with it.

Out of interest the alignment settings for the Z for front toe in are 0.00 to 0.08, i'm guessing the full 0.08 would mean the steering would be a tad heavier than 0.00 even though they are both within spec.. or is it the other way round.

Thanks again for the help.

I run 452`s on my rays & personally have found that about 30 psi cold is good for my setup, but I do like to keep my tyres warm :blush:

As Ekona said, the Falkens have softer sidewalls so will feel different, they are much more forgiving but unfortunately give less feel in my opinion, better at dispersing water over the bridgestones too, maybe because there directional??? There my thoughts anyhow ;)

i think you have got all the answers you need by the above members :thumbs:

- soft side walls hence try upping the pressure.( add by 2psi per test)

- needs to get heat cycled to give full grip (can take up to 500miles to do so depending on your mileage and driving style)

- softer compound than the BS RE 040 (RE 050 are better)

- You get what you pay for :p (Falkens are budget to midrange IMO)

Just be patient and donot tamper with the geometry anymore until you have done the above. less you create another variable. But if you feel its understeer you are experiencing come back for help on geo settings to get rid of that ;)

I recently put some equally soft Kumho Ecsta's on my car... Improvement in noise and ride was massive but the fronts felt very floppy @ 35psi :scare:

Upped them to 38psi and I got most of the steering feel back, although they still feel a bit squishy, like the tyres are softer than the suspension.

With 800kg on the front wheels I think the 350 prefers stiffer tyres with a high load index.

I recently put some equally soft Kumho Ecsta's on my car... Improvement in noise and ride was massive but the fronts felt very floppy @ 35psi :scare:

Upped them to 38psi and I got most of the steering feel back, although they still feel a bit squishy, like the tyres are softer than the suspension.

With 800kg on the front wheels I think the 350 prefers stiffer tyres with a high load index.

Love the kumho's,great value,agree there soft & i found they wear quick but great wet n dry grip.