Engine swap

ATTAK Z

What problems are there in swapping out a 276 ps engine for the later 313 ps ? Bonnet needs to be renewed with bulge version obviously but what about ancillaries such as radiator, ecu etc. and any idea of costs ?

Would it be easier and less costly just to trade the car in ?

What problems are there in swapping out a 276 ps engine for the later 313 ps ? Bonnet needs to be renewed with bulge version obviously but what about ancillaries such as radiator, ecu etc. and any idea of costs ?

Would it be easier and less costly just to trade the car in ?

IMO better just to buy the new car with better resale and better interior. Unless you want to fit a rb26 or ls2?

Swap the car. Far easier and cheaper.

+1 i thought about it , rough costing out and your at enough to trade up to a 313 or you could do a full NA build for same money ish..

engine

ecu

bonnet (but you may want one any how/have one)

new race/de cats

induction kit or at least oem one

think you need gearbox too

if you see all the bits pop up for cheap then maybe worth it

your need the following

Engine and gearbox ( inc air flow meters/air boxes cats to go with car)

Engine loom and Ecu

Dash ( clocks) as the rev limit is much higher for the 313bhp cars

and a bonnet

If you have a 276bhp car and buy the stuff the right way it is cheaper than trading the car.

Mark

276 to 313 isn't much of an upgrade; especially when you factor in the money involved. we're not talking 500.00 here. for a proper step up but staying in the zed family i'd be looking at the 370Z. depends on what budget is then i suppose. if thats too much of a step up financially, then personally i'd trade in and get a 313. you'll also get the upgraded interior and headlights then as well.

your old car will be easier to sell with original engine than one thats had a swap. for some reason people won;t touch engine swapped cars. so you'll be reducing your selling market and probably the price at which you can shift it. (thats from experience)

also means if you change you can have a new colour as well; no need for an expensive respray. yes you'll have to redo your roof, maybe sell the grille and swap over the wheels but i think it will be a nice change.

have you driven a tuned 313 bhp car thse totally blow the early models away with torque/bhp and revs.

the conversion just bolts together no major work at all. nice n easy. Not a sif it is a engine from another car , you can even change the log book to the new CC.

funny how people with comment with out actually having knowledge on these type of jobs.

Apologies, my knowledge of these types of jobs is with more complex cars than the 350z which are a bit more fussy about plonking a new version of an engine in.

I'll keep quiet and return to fixing software for the engine swap in the prototypes that just finished :rolleyes:

but still, why would you do it. you would then want the new interior and the new headlights and the new tail lights etc etc

Surely the cost would outweigh the benifits here? Whats your options?

* keep the 276hp engine and mod it up to 310

* put a super carger onto the engine keeping standard internals 380ish

* put a super charger / turbo onto the engine changing the standard internal and aim for the stars

* swap out the engine to a HR one and get 313

On paper I know what I would do... but cost, time, insurance etc would probably change it...

The Q to ask and answer really is this >>> What do you want to get out of this?

One thing to remember, I didn't get modding to save money or expect to get any of it back if I sell up...the more mods going in though the less likely that I'll sell in the first place :lol:

i fitted a new engine in my mr2 roadster, same engine as previous just a lower mileage version as the older engine lost compression on cylinder 1. and when i sold the car as soon as you said new engine people went as cold as a fish. was an absolute ballache to shift.

engine swap especially isn't that much work compared to doing something like an LS1 or FI install if its stock for stock install.

but when the difference between a 2005 276 and a 2007 313 is less than 1500

but you not only get the engine and gear box but the bi xenon headlights, LED rear lights, upgraded centre console and possibly lower miles all still on original parts.

it makes it a better buy to upgrade the whole car.

my guess is you'll be looking at the best part of 1500 for engine and gear box. you'd probalby get between 500-800 for your old kit that comes out. but if you factor in buying the other parts that make a 313 what it is. you'd need to spend another 1500 at least to get lights and interior.

abbey may well know of a better supply of engines at more favourable rates. but i still say its better to buy the upgraded car than swapping the engine

depends what you want from your car doesnt it, with regards trim and light etc etc.

The HR motor is a gem of a unit awesome when tuned.

everyone has there own ideas with costs etc etc but it make an awesome car when done, my JDM car will be like this when it is finished as a track car.

i suppose with the HR you have more potential with FI on stock components. but then as soon as you want to go past this would you have been better to have just picked up a bundle of forged bits for your current motor?

I can see why you would do it on a track car or just to be different but if its because you fancy a bit more power in your daily i think its a bit nuts.

I am in the middle of a 276/313 conversion at the moment and I reckon that it will take me around a week to complete which includes approx. 24 hours hands on + tune.

No drama and a easy upgrade which is cost effective if you can source preowned parts.

However IMHO I do not really think that is a worthwhile upgrade unless you actually require a replacement engine. :)

i suppose that is another aspect, that you have no engine to begin with.

maybe OP blew the engine though ;):blush:

so 24 man hours to swap... pmmmm that's a lot of monies in cost for soft services..

If you can do a diff swop out mate then you will manage this no problem Anders. ;):thumbs:

So in your case labour will be free :lol::lol::lol: