Was going to get new tyres...

spursmaddave

I had budgeted to get some new tyres before the bad weather... I have had the Zed 11 months now and it had almost new REO50A's on it which I have found pretty good, plenty of grip in dry & wet but maybe a bit noisy...

So after 13,000 miles :scare: I thought I MUST need some new tyres, at least some rears but with my trusty tread gauge I have 5mm on the front and 4mm on the rear with pretty even wear, maybe just a little scrubbing on the front insides...

Im not going to use the Zed if the weather gets REALLY bad so over the winter so Im gonna keep them on till the new year, am I mad?

It is up to you at the end of the day, but I think you are being over cautious replacing tyres at 4mm as they are only half worn. Your zed will be practically useless in the snow, which you probably found out last winter, and most main roads are gritted.

I'd keep them on. :thumbs:

I had budgeted to get some new tyres before the bad weather... I have had the Zed 11 months now and it had almost new REO50A's on it which I have found pretty good, plenty of grip in dry & wet but maybe a bit noisy...

So after 13,000 miles :scare: I thought I MUST need some new tyres, at least some rears but with my trusty tread gauge I have 5mm on the front and 4mm on the rear with pretty even wear, maybe just a little scrubbing on the front insides...

Im not going to use the Zed if the weather gets REALLY bad so over the winter so Im gonna keep them on till the new year, am I mad?

MAD! You are utterly bonkers, you need to buy a set of new tyres NOW, from me.

Only jesting mate, 4mm - 5 mm will be fine throughout the winter. :thumbs:

:lol: I keep looking at your tyres thread thinking that I will need some soon.... I expect someone will be along soon telling me I don't drive the car like I should :doh:

Mad.... yep you are :thumbs:

On the tyre front, they will be fine as long as you don't drive in the snow. As soon as a snow flake appears I will be off home ... after last year. :scare::scare::scare::scare:

Zed + Snow = Nightmare no matter what tyre depth you have !!!!

If your feeling flush just get some studded ones to use 3-4 days a year if your lucky :lol:

Mad.... yep you are :thumbs:

On the tyre front, they will be fine as long as you don't drive in the snow. As soon as a snow flake appears I will be off home ... after last year. :scare::scare::scare::scare:

Zed + Snow = Nightmare no matter what tyre depth you have !!!!

If your feeling flush just get some studded ones to use 3-4 days a year if your lucky :lol:

Oh don't worry I had enough 'fun' in the snow in January/February :drive1

As for studs, I have enough already ;)

StuddedCollar.png&t=1

some would say the best time to change tyres is at about 3mm from their down to about 1.6 they arent as effective (some brands) as when they are new. from 1.6 mm down they can be way off the mark in the wet (most brands)

i would say with cheaper brand tyres replacinng at 3mm is not a bad idea. with more expensive tyres you could easily get away with taking them down to the wear markers.

Hasn't looked bad from where I've been sitting :):drive1

:lol: I keep looking at your tyres thread thinking that I will need some soon.... I expect someone will be along soon telling me I don't drive the car like I should :doh:

13000 miles and wear markers :scare::scare::scare: on both.

wear markers yes if you live in south italy. after writing the maser off 3mm is the minimum. and thats on the inside. thing is you hit standing water once. and that could be 2 miles down the sunny motorway in england.

13000 miles...thats awesome to my experience hehe...and 5mm front 4 rear should be fine on the 050s. but why can you not change tyres mid winter? you can reassess tyres/weather/miles you do/road you are driving at any given time :)

ps if you think the stones are noisy dont ever try the ps2s :lol:

Just buy some "snow socks".

Oh, yes you are...... :lol:

That's what I'll be buying If the snow comes again. They look amazing. Almost bought some last year but thought I'd brave the slippery conditions. Not this time though.

Just buy some "snow socks".

Oh, yes you are...... :lol:

That's what I'll be buying If the snow comes again. They look amazing. Almost bought some last year but thought I'd brave the slippery conditions. Not this time though.

Thing is though you need to buy them now otherwise when the snow does come they will be like rocking horse **** !