Andlid Progress Thread,

andlid

Had strange issues with the lilliput screen (mouse pointer all over the place and drawing windows etc) after me thinking it might have been the doublesided tape I took it all apart and cleaned off all the stuff, in the meantime I tried some drivers for Windows 7 (even though this OS should be compatible with touch screens...) Found a set of drivers that worked a treat!

eGalaxTouch_7_Vista_XP_2K_5.11.0.9126

^ They should be tried first with any touch screen problems! :teeth: So put that all back together, got my new Micro PSU from mini itx, it was doulbe the width of the chinese one so looked great so far! Just been out and booted the PC up from the car battery so win win :yahoo: Cut the cigarette lighter psu for the lilliput too so it's all good to go. While I had the stereo out I also did the Ipad/Phono hack for the tapedeck following an extremely good guide put together by Husky! B) (thanks bro!)

So only small bit left is to wire it all in the car and boot it up :lol:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg, dude, i just found this thread....

you are a genius andlid.

i want to see vids of the computer you have hooked up to your haltech!

:lol: I'll stick some vids up of it all once completed, think it's going to be a quick dump in the car and a slow progress to finish off all the bits. Most important is to get monitoring of the sensors in the haltech, rest is really just bonuses. (gps, cameras, vids, music etc)

Just thought I post some silly photos of the package the micro psu came in the other day.

2012-03-07%252017.29.47.jpg

2012-03-07%252017.31.56.jpg

What the heck! :lol:

Got this today, very interested read! Will probably bin the car next Friday now! :lol:

2012-03-08%252018.53.02.jpg

Next update on this will be saturday when all the techie bits will go into the car and rad pipe fitted :thumbs:

Saturday update!

Weather: NO RAIN! :teeth:

I installed the new lower rad hose and this time I didn't actually modify it for the wider rad, rather let it push out a bit more at the top and used some zip ties to make sure it doesn't hit that pulley again :blush: . I took a video of the process with the spill free funnel but it'll have to wait until I get my other lappy to edit it (pretty boring most of the time). It worked a bit strangely I have to say... very WILD for the first run, it sucked in a LOT of water after I turned the car off and it was almost like boiling eggs for a while. After I let her cool down and re-ran the setup it slowly released bubbles... I've NEVER had so hot air from my fan, burning my hands now :teeth: Can really recommend getting on of them things!

So onto mounting pc and centre console :teeth:

Stumbled across a few cables...

:headhurt:

2012-03-10%252012.53.46.jpg

4 metres of cables for the Japanese tool control box :scare: , great I'll use these :yahoo:

2012-03-10%252012.53.54.jpg

not sure why you would have a loop and two fuses on one live... :surrender: one of them blown so cut that off and did some soldering B)

Now had a ignition and ground to use B)

I decided to use this for the lilliput screen (don't care to have it one without turning the ignition really), I also decided to use this as a ground for the mini pc and the ignition for that one too.

(not sure if that's proving to be one of my problems, not sure :dry: )

I love soldering my cables together, it's no better way in my mind :thumbs:

2012-03-10%252013.35.27.jpg

Here is the centre console in!

2012-03-10%252013.56.31.jpg

I tried the tape hack first time I installed the console and it worked fine, but after I wanted to take it out to check the audio connections (realised I don't have much umpf from the rear speakers) after I re-installed it it now says "tape error" I'm sure they're an easy way to fix that, need to read husky's thread again :lol:

Now, as you can see the lower piece isn't installed in that pic, I had a quick look at it and decided to cut the back of it with a knife to mount the circuit board and drill a hole with the dremel to have the infra red button out so I can use the remote (if needed, this baby will auto power one with the ignition later on)

Here is the cover upside down, get your knife out!

2012-03-10%252014.36.19.jpg

2012-03-10%252014.36.32.jpg

It's a very cool material to cut, like butter! :teeth: took all of two minutes to do that, used the circuit board as template and then cut it out all the way down and twisted off.

2012-03-10%252014.37.58.jpg

Now I dremel'd a hole for the infrared sensor I just marked a cross and let rip!

2012-03-10%252014.39.41.jpg

Now this is it mounted! You can't even see I drilled a hole! (and it works!)

2012-03-10%252014.53.01.jpg

took a photo from the top so you can see the photo

2012-03-10%252014.53.05.jpg

Now I didn't take any photos of the actual mini-pc install (SINCE ITS NOT WORKING :wacko: )

I wired it in as supposed to, one ground, one ignition and one to live (battery). First time I started it it worked fine was delighted! Turned off the car and ignition to off and went in, came out 2 min later and it was turned off (per design!). Tried to start it again and it was a NO NO :surrender: getting onto the shop now to see what they think, wondering if the board is a bit dodgy at this stage. :shrug:

So instead of me taking the whole thing apart I decided to leave it off power for a while and see if it would boot at a later stage (turned out that it didn't matter...)

I fitted this :yahoo:

2012-03-10%252016.46.09.jpg

heel toe here we come :thumbs:

Next might not be to everyones taste (not really me...)

Went wild with a drill :blush: (didn't have time to measure, was running out of time... and it kinda shows) :lol:

2012-03-10%252018.05.00.jpg

Now that's what it'll look like on a trackday, and below when driving normally, I'm going to get a bit smaller plate so it doesn't look to naff :lol:

(not straight either I notice now...)

2012-03-10%252018.06.23.jpg

Now onto something calmer and more relaxing :drunk:

2012-03-10%252019.53.15.jpg

:evil:

(I replaced the brake fluid in my R6 between jobs too, need to get her ready for next Sunday's bike tracking! :yahoo: )

Good news:

went out for a spin yesterday to try the bleeding out :yahoo: It works FAR better then before so 100% no air in the system works wonders! I'm seeing about 5-10c lower (and more stable) readings. B), bedded in the rotors a bit (discs) and so far they seem to be ok for what I use it.

Bad news:

:byebye: mobo, it's gone tried it on a PC PSU and it's not starting, so RMA on that, in there they're good news though :teeth: Ordered a more powerful mobo yesterday :lol:

Notes:

I can run this of my eee pc so will be using this on Friday for some logging! :teeth:

Right, so another pretty wet trackday finished :teeth: Car cooling held up very well! Stable numbers on track and I think my bleeding and drilling made some difference! The new discs seems to be pretty good on track (compared to the Brembo OEM ones) Will need a Mondello outing to really be able to compare, but the track I was on knackers brakes quicker then Mondello, 2 really fast straights with back stretch see easily 200-210km/h (in my yoke). Not as technical as Mondello (Kirkistown) but a good laugh all the same. The onboard computer screen is working wonders on monitoring health of my car! B) Never bothered installing the titanium shims, will do that for the next one for sure and get back with the drill :evil:

It's happy times in the Z :dance::drive1

:drive1

Some trackday vids from the Friday just gone:

(nice bmw m3 at the end of the second vid)

Back straight saw 200km/h at times :surrender: , Debtors as they call it after start and finish can be done doing 160km/h pretty easily, need to keep a bit of ice in the gut though... (and not let go off the accelerator once you committed!)

<<< that was close ;)

• 2 years later...

:teeth: He's back!

So browsing through my progress thread a bit has happened and a bit has not happened, most of the things I have stockpiled is still in a bag waiting for me to try and fit.

The car has moved country AND identity, currently Swedish registration :scare: *not sure how I managed to get it through the MOT but there you go :stir:

The life of the Z has not been 100% smooth, had a cooler bust problem luckily noticed it quicksmart and did an even quicker repair. Need to be replaced once I find a good replacement, probably will get the same one. Bust my oil lines going to the oil cooler on my way to work :headhurt: also managed this time to catch it quick enough to save the engine but got slapped with a rather high bill to get it transported to a tuning house and new hoses fitted. Lesson learnt! At least I've managed to enjoy her properly after far to long sitting in a garage. I managed to get the exhaust cam control sorted B) temperatures have been steadily low! :teeth: (and got some bonus HP/TORQ)

On the list *while winter prohibits me driving it. :dry:

* Possibly mount the Akebono kit that's been sitting in the garage, this is looking a bit 50/50 at the moment since it looks not to clear my 18 RAYS V1 and I've got no funds to get 2 full sets of wheels at the moment

* Fit the Haltech I/O Expander, need some advice on how to hook up the cabling to the Haltech ECU and my oil temperature sensor, hunt continues on the interweb

* Fix my catch can setup, thinking on dumping it all together and run open filters, drill out the PCV valve and attach two crank case vent filters. This is to lower the crank pressure.

* Make a call on fitting O2 Widebands from Haltech, Fitting some diff cross bar, new ARB's, 1000cc injectors, full return system, get a new fuel pump or dump it all to the market.

* Get my mini pc setup and hooked to the Haltech for nice monitoring of the sensors :D *that's actually going to happen

* Fix a swirl tank for the spot boiling of water that the sweet APS kit has a problem with, currently looking at different options input would be greatly appreciated.

Think that's it... not hunting for more power at the moment but a stable enjoyable daily driver *after the snow is gone that is.

Oh I managed to fit some NANKANG S2R's to the car *I know... ditch tyre brand, I've BEEN really enjoying them far better then I first thought they'd be allthough they're 225's the rear has a LOT of traction and the fronts *soft compound has given me nothing but high G's taking turns at speeds I never thought possible :D Will update once I get to go on a track in Sweden!

Oh I managed to fit some NANKANG S2R's to the car *I know... ditch tyre brand, I've BEEN really enjoying them far better then I first thought they'd be allthough they're 225's the rear has a LOT of traction and the fronts *soft compound has given me nothing but high G's taking turns at speeds I never thought possible :D Will update once I get to go on a track in Sweden!

Yay, welcome to the Nankang club

You running them?

You running them?

Yup, they seem fine for me, I have the odd issue in the wet, if you push it a bit too hard for wet weather, but in the dry they are fine.

You running them?

Yup, they seem fine for me, I have the odd issue in the wet, if you push it a bit too hard for wet weather, but in the dry they are fine.

what sizes and compound do you use? Have you had a chance to test them on track?