Andlid Progress Thread,

andlid

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, quick update. New cusco strut installed, replaced crappy steel clip with high torq steel clip, mad difference in quality! Managed to mount my ECU too!

Helmets in boot, tools in boot, oil and coolant in boot... guess what I'm doing tomorrow :lol::yahoo:

Looks like a wet day though so will probably just use it to check the car out... B)

• 2 weeks later...

First off, my coolant lower pipe blew up on my trackday :dry: it was fine on normal driving but for some reason when pushing on it was rubbing off the pulley... so ended up with a hole (tiny) in the middle of the lower pipe, had to take it off and walk about looking for some coolant pipe... obviously nobody holds stock on track for such things ( I will now :) )

A cool guy there with his 1980's eclat took me to a hardware shop, long story trimmed... ended up with this:

download.jpg

After that drama I stuck the pipe on and bled the coolant procedure 3 times, all held up for the rest of the day so got about 18 laps in the end :teeth:

:snack:

Finally got some bits together for my mini puter install, have to gut the screen to fit the cubby :dance:

Here are the bits:

(still need some more bits, can't find them :doh: )

DSC_5302.JPG

After about 30 min of fiddling I know have this (love the mini pc box, really good kit.)

DSC_5303.JPG

Need to finish off a little backup server for my photos and videos (in case someone nicks my other mini PC setup that I use as a media server) before I start cutting the lilliput open.

Need to get the power bits too hook into the 12v (have the mini psu, neat little kit), need to get male to male RCA's for the USB PVR to hook my two cameras up. Then OS and Haltech software install :dance:

:drunk:

:bang: snag on the mini-pc ... not powering up... Going to see if it behaves differently with a 12v car battery in the morning. Hope it's not the mini psu that's 'burnt'.

Tomorrow will hopefully see a lot of modding going on :teeth: Have a full day booked in on the drive :yahoo:

(looks like I'll not be wet and it'll be 10+!)

:bounce:

Not a great start to modding Sunday. Little fella got a stomach bug last night so didn't sleep much and only got started at noon. Had to start off with something that doesn't make to much noise so had a look at the bumper modification (think I found a deadly spot to put a trackday air induction scoop at that would be stealth during normal driving). Bad news, drained the coolant looked at the hoses I ordered from an ebay seller, they didn't look like they would fit. Tried fitting and cut them a bit to help fitting, no chance, they're twisted the wrong way round. :bang: So that stops that work! I sent a :pmzmanalex: to see if he has any oem ones lying around doing nothing. Having a cuppa now considering my next approach to this mod Sunday. Think get the bumper off and work on that and fit the air fins inside for that rads followed by getting that bolt that broke out (looking forward to that one actually) :wave:

Right, so started at 12:00 and finished at 17:30, weather was perfect but that was probably the only thing that was perfect with the day. Noticed when I took my tools and bits out of the storage at there where a lot of water... a lot of stuff wrecked and other needed drying :( Back garden spread out with plenty of bits and tools that I've gathered over the years. Took me probably best part of 1 hour to clean and throw out bits that couldn't be saved. (HATE WATER)

So my coolant hose replacement plan = fail, must have got the wrong ones sent to me, no way they'll fit. :dry:

My extract broken bolt plan = fail, to tight for drilling

My bumper cutting = fail, ran out of time but have a nice idea (will post later about the idea) ;)

Investigate pathfinder mod install = success but result is fail ;)

Investigate swapping wastegates without taking engine out = success but result is fail ;)

Upgrade my haltech = fail, no time

Install my I/O Can extender = fail, no time

Install Widebands and calibrate = fail, no time

Install ARB's = fail, no time

Clean throttlebody = success! (very quick really...)

Install front panel ducts for rad = fail, no time

Install new discs = SUCESS Pics below, old discs don't look the greatest, probably fine for road but think they've done their bit for the track :blush: (pretty blue and shiny, glazed)

Replace brake fluid, fail, no time

Keep the missus happy = epic fail, makes me rethink the time I spend on the car...

:shrug:

Pic time!

old%2520disc.jpg

Old disc... looks a bit sad

new%2520disc.jpg

New disc, look fresh and happy :lol:

new%2520discs%2520fitted.jpg

With the feel on, looks pretty cool, shame the black will go. Hope they'll last 1 or two trackdays at least. :blush: (The discs not the black...)

took the mini pc to work and ended up looking like this:

2012-03-02%252012.24.05.jpg

:lol:

So good part, the mobo is working. Bad part is that I think the PSU isn't. Although, when I was putting it all back together I noticed chinese quality control isn't the greatest.. two cables for the power to the SATA drive wasn't connected properly, might have been shorting or causing something when I tried it earlier. So will give it another shot with the car battery over the weekend before I order a new PSU. :wacko:

O I see I tell you thats how to test it and you take it to work :lol:

At least you know most of it is good.

I have to say it - buy cheap - buy twice :bleh:

Hope you get it sorted mate :thumbs:

O I see I tell you thats how to test it and you take it to work :lol:

At least you know most of it is good.

I have to say it - buy cheap - buy twice :bleh:

Hope you get it sorted mate :thumbs:

:p Easier in work where they're 4k dumped PC's in a lab environment :lol:

buy cheap buy twice... :blush: Is that why you got another Z? :teeth::p

Have a mate going to China in two weeks, might have him pic a few up :lol:

Safety in numbers - buy lots at least one will work :lol:

You leave my New Zed alone I paid a reasonable amount for it didn't I ? :blush:

Safety in numbers - buy lots at least one will work :lol:

You leave my New Zed alone I paid a reasonable amount for it didn't I ? :blush:

Should go get a few z's so;)

Right so mini pc update today.

Almost 100% sure the micro PSU is a dud, so will order a new one from the UK this evening :blush: Took the PC back out and hooked it up to battery power and it's going green on the mobo but power ain't coming on.

So...

Took out the centre console (followed this guide)

http://www.oemcargps.com/blog/how-to-di ... issan-350z

(might do the aux hack if I feel up for it, since the console is now out)

Took the cubby casing off by taking off the 3 bolts on each side (pic below)

2012-03-04%252015.30.24.jpg

Ended up with below...

2012-03-04%252015.31.22.jpg

I re-used the metal bit (will come in handy later on...)

I started test fitting the lilliput screen without taking it off, no chance so face down on a something clean. Took off all the screws I could find (8)

See pic below of all the screws out:

2012-03-04%252015.32.48.jpg

Took a flatbed screw driver, stuck it in one of the slits holding the screen together and twisted, did the all around the casing until eventually the back came off.

2012-03-04%252015.32.56.jpg

Took the screws holding the LCD onto the front plate off, should be two screws on each of the plates holding it down (for some reason only had 1 on one of the side, must have run out in the factory? :shrug: )

LCD comes off and you'll end up with something like this...(unscrew the buttons from it's front too, six odd screws holding that)

2012-03-04%252016.02.00.jpg

Now... :drunk:

I test fitted the setup to see what it would look like and fits VERY nicely, took some doublesided sticky tape to line it up nicely on the console. I used a pen knife and stuck the one side on and carefully cut off the tape at the corners like below.

2012-03-04%252015.57.18.jpg

ended up like this...

2012-03-04%252016.02.03.jpg

mounted

2012-03-04%252016.02.59.jpg

2012-03-04%252016.22.22.jpg

The backplate of the lilliput (mobo) has some bags (couching's) that I thought was a good way of mounting them backonto the backplate of the lilliput, so I took some doublesided tape again and stuck them on like so!

2012-03-04%252016.10.06.jpg

once you get cover tape off you can nicely tuck the tape around the bags.

When that sorted I went back to the little cubby that came out of the console and attacked it with my pen knife, I'm after the black little plastic pieces on the sides (to re-use the screws and mount the screen permanently to the console. )

2012-03-04%252016.17.05.jpg

Try and save the little bits sticking out of the plastic pieces, this will be the force holding the backplate flush. Like below fitted:

2012-03-04%252016.27.13.jpg

2012-03-04%252016.27.19.jpg

Now it's flush against the front and it wont move! :teeth:

2012-03-04%252016.21.59.jpg

Hooked up a laptop to it and tried out the screen, looks pretty cool don't you think?

2012-03-04%252016.32.30.jpg

And this is what will be there once in the car! (with some adaption)

2012-03-04%252016.36.19.jpg

for you guys unlucky not to own one, that is the gui for the haltech unit that will be hooked up to the mini pc :evil:

The touch screen I couldn't really test (there is an issue with lilliput and 64bit Windows 7, will try some drivers on a 32bit at a later stage, might even go Windows XP). Did think that Windows 7 would be up for the job seeing that they've adapted it for Tablets, not so ;) They're a few threads around with Windows 7 issues so will read them through and see what to make of it, not to pushed in wasting to much time on it though Windows XP will be good enough for what I want to use it for.

That's all that I managed to get done today! The buttons I'm not sure what to do with, think I'll mount them behind the front cover (that you have to take off to get the console out of the car, drill a little hole for the infrared sensor and use the remote in the car, shouldn't have to use that to often though..., might on the other hand go down the route of cutting the little facia out and cut off the lilliput buttons of the front of the monitor and mount that... mmm need to sleep on it, might look cack)

Will keep the power and vga connectors as is and not go hacking, soldering on the lilliput mobo I think, will butcher the cigarette lighter power that came with the lilliput instead, and use extension leads if needed to the usb and vga cable.

Laters,

:dance:

Managed to get a decent laptop to do some vids, so here we go!

^That's my first ever blackflag (and the reason for it!)

This is just some lap in the Z on the latest outing... :drive1

(keeps me sane until the next one...)

Also ordered a new micro PSU, looks cool! (more to come in hopefully two days...)