Xenon Headlights

mpaul0055

Hi Yall...

Apologies for a barage of Whats this.. Whats that questions, but finding the parts for my z is like a real life wheres wally!

Just sourced a pair of Xenon Headlights from an 05 car.

What should i know? Are there any special things id need to fit them? Or are they the same connections as the std lights? Will the 05 xenons fit an 08 car?

Im unsure if mine origially had xenons..

The MY08 car, if that's what you have has bi-xenons, and are pretty good lights, the 05 lights aren't xenon (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so my guess is you've bought the wrong ones sadly,

Hope your able to get a refund, I think a few traders on here would have been the better people to speak to, as for fitting, should be ok but the wiring may be different

I'm sure someone will be along to give you the right info shortly

I havent bought them as of yet so no problems there. And i dont have any front headlights at the moment so any are an improvment.. lol!

Im sure Xenons where a option on the earlier cars. Not sure about the 08.

I know they will fit, its mainly the connections..

Where the Xenons an option on the 08 car?

Hi mate

Both lights are interchangeable on uk - uk cars. Not sure what yours is.

Sometimes jap and USA lights need the wiring harness re wired

A 05 car will have hid xenon headlights and +06 models will have bi-xenon hid headlights

The newer lights look completely different and give a better spectrum of light output

Hope this helps

Paul

I hope you have informed your insurance about a "modification" to your car? ;)

Yeh im always carefull. Anything that gives you exta hp is always worth telling the insurance about.. If i remember correctly the 07+ Xenons give an extra 6bhp where as the 05-07 gave a humble 2bhp ;):lol:

Seriously though, you do have to tell them about it.

i havent had any problems with any modified cars. My cooper s works was completely changed, the works bodykit wasnt insured as an extra, the wheels were an extra and uprated intercooler. None of which i advised the insurance company of. I crashed it causing 5k worth of damage and the fixed it without any niggles at all.

Just too add, my insurance is due on the 18 oct at a renewal of £325. I asked my insurance what the extra would be with an aftermarket zorst, they refused to insure me...WTF

Did the price comparisson sites with and with out zorst as a modification, Prices were actually double with the aftermarket zorst. So in effect, i was paying for the zorst twice. It ranged from £790 to £1500 with aftermarket, and ranged from £325 to £900 with out. :angry:

So i will get one fitted, and keep my old zorst "just in case" ;);)

with all the winking going on in this thread I hope none of you are insured with the insurers on this forum - believe me insurers check things like OC forums when contesting pay outs!!

Not me, I am keeping my oem zorst just in case i sell the car then i can split the moded parts. I wouldnt dare not inform the insurance company, my cars worth more too me than scrimping on the trust.

Honest is the best policy :thumbs:

with all the winking going on in this thread I hope none of you are insured with the insurers on this forum - believe me insurers check things like OC forums when contesting pay outs!!

If my insurance tried to not pay out because of oem xenon lights id eat my right shoe, shortly followed by the left :)

But your right man, its amazing how much the police and insurances use forums for information.. Like 10ps over on pistonheads...

If youve never read this, its definately worth a look! .. One of the best things ever posted on a motoring forum imo.. http://prisondiary.co.uk/

If my insurance tried to not pay out because of oem xenon lights id eat my right shoe, shortly followed by the left :)

But your right man, its amazing how much the police and insurances use forums for information.. Like 10ps over on pistonheads...

If youve never read this, its definately worth a look! .. One of the best things ever posted on a motoring forum imo.. http://prisondiary.co.uk/

Everyone here should read that and digest it thoroughly. Although I've never had anything more than a couple of very minor bumps, I realised many years ago a few things. Like overtaking a long line of cars by jumping past them one or two at a time gets you nowhere, how many times have you seen people doing this only to end up a few cars ahead of you at the next set of traffic lights. I also realised that I wasn't as good a driver as I thought I was...unfortunately only a few people are prepared to admit it, most drivers, especially young men vastly overestimate their driving skills (I know I did), quite often to their own cost not to mention the damage they inflict on other often innocent road users. You've seen what happened to this guy by making just one mistake....Thanks for posting the link, it's a real eye opener.

Pete

Everyone here should read that and digest it thoroughly. Although I've never had anything more than a couple of very minor bumps, I realised many years ago a few things. Like overtaking a long line of cars by jumping past them one or two at a time gets you nowhere, how many times have you seen people doing this only to end up a few cars ahead of you at the next set of traffic lights. I also realised that I wasn't as good a driver as I thought I was...unfortunately only a few people are prepared to admit it, most drivers, especially young men vastly overestimate their driving skills (I know I did), quite often to their own cost not to mention the damage they inflict on other often innocent road users. You've seen what happened to this guy by making just one mistake....Thanks for posting the link, it's a real eye opener.

Pete

Its a very sobering read, And a very well written piece aswell. It really does show how you whole life can be turned upside down from one little jolly out.

Ive been lucky too Pete and have never had a "bad" accident. I dont think its because of my driving skill, I like to think its because i havent really pushed my luck... But im sure thats what olly thought untill the eventfull day. Weve all made stupid decisions on the road, its just a case of which of us where lucky enough to come through the other end.

The fact the police pulled his comments from the forum is disgusting in my opinion. We all write things out of context. I mean if i went to court would the insurance company exect me to eat my shoe because of the above comments! Silly of course, but thats the sort of thing they did to olly.

Its easy to brag, and talk utter crap on forums, but my god how it can come back and bite you on your arse!! Even if its not true, its in black and white, and will be used against you in a court of law!!

Also Olly didnt do this to scare people from driving and having fun... Its why we own these sorts of cars... Its a case of being carefull and courteous to other road users!! oh god... I sound like some sort of road saftey minister!! promise im not!! lol

The fact the police pulled his comments from the forum is disgusting in my opinion. We all write things out of context.

This is something everyone should be aware of. The police scan all sorts of forums and websites routinely, it's just part of their jobs in the electronic age. It's possible that 3rd parties scan forums and report things to the police as well? I'm not sure I agree with you entirely though, many terrorist plots and other unmentionable things have been uncovered by police gaining evidence from Internet posting, I'm pretty certain that they scan Boy Racer forums to see if there's a street race lined up anywhere...and what about the idiots that post videos of themselves driving recklessly at breakneck speeds. I don't think we've got much to worry about here though :) .

Pete

The fact the police pulled his comments from the forum is disgusting in my opinion. We all write things out of context.

I'm not sure I agree with you entirely though, many terrorist plots and other unmentionable things have been uncovered by police gaining evidence from Internet posting, I'm pretty certain that they scan Boy Racer forums to see if there's a street race lined up anywhere...

Pete

Im up for the police using any means nesercerry to nab criminals, terrorists and to curb anti social behaviour.. Its this stuff that blights an everyday joes life.

Picking lines from forums to paint a picture of an individual i feel is unfair when it is taken out of context. Disgusting may be a hard word to use. But i know how i would feel if i was being made out to be a boy racer when ive just had a bit of banter on forums..

Its the 21st centuary and people just need to be carefull with what the vent off online...

Weve gone right :offtopic::lol: ....

On the subject of xenon headlights; I recently took a UK 54 plate for a test drive, and when the lights come on they don't seem to visibly rise or perform an alignment check. Is this right? Most cars I've had with xenons, you can clearly see the beam go down and then level back up again. With my old S3 it wasn't as obvious but you could still hear the motors and see the beam move slightly, but with this 350Z nothing happened. Do the pre-facelift models use an archaic levelling mechanism?

A video of what I expected to happen: