Tailgate gas struts

garygttdi

Suspect this has been requested more times than a hot dinner, however just got my Z and found that the tailgate does not want to stay open and up, and is trying its dam best to chop my head of by slowly lowering itself. Are the struts easy to get and fit, do I have to go to main stealers for them? :bangin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have same problem and it can be hard to remove the strut from the rear hatch. You cannot get a socket on the 12mm nut as the whole strut ball is integral. Got one side loose but the other is seized and a flat bladed spanner slips and can round the nut .......despite plenty of easing oil....

Am an engineer but this is defeating me unless i start using brute force and ignorance...open to any advice..

Was going to use SGS who can regas them or send a new set.

Andrew

Hi I have orderd a pair form SGS so will let you know how I got on when they have arrived after these comments not looking forward to it,although getting pretty sick of having it land on my head every time I go to the boot. Will be interesting to hear from the experts on hear as to how you get the fittings off the car ? !!!

To be honest the struts are fairly easy to remove. The only hard part is in your case keeping the boot up in place. Suggestion is a garden fork or spade, sits nicely underneath the boot and rim of the boot enclosure without too much fuss. If not a broom handle in the boot area holding the boot lid.

Please note - when taking the struts off make sure you pay attention to the bracket and the orientation of the bracket. Like me I put them back the wrong way round and caused the boot to lift in areas that it shouldn't, so just be aware of the little bracket.

If needs be, take a picture of your bracket before removing.

Good luck....

Hi I have orderd a pair form SGS so will let you know how I got on when they have arrived after these comments not looking forward to it,although getting pretty sick of having it land on my head every time I go to the boot. Will be interesting to hear from the experts on hear as to how you get the fittings off the car ? !!!

What pressure did you get them set to? I've been meaning to get some for a while bunnever knew what the correct pressure is

When you order from SGS they match the struts to the car via a pattern they had made via the origianl I beleive so assume they checked the OEM parts and matched them ! They were only £25.00 a pop so go order some or wait for me to do mine and I will report back if you wish ?

• 4 weeks later...

Well that's answered my question then, thanks Markus :D

Hi,

Just replaced my rear boot struts with ones from SGS easiest job iv'e ever done works a treat,just tell them what spoiler you have and they send some new ones to suit .best £60 iv'e spent.

Mark

• 4 months later...

Got a new pair from SGS, and can't remove the old ones :S will have to check that video on youtube out later - it's blocked here at work :(

Managed to get the threaded end off the boot lid, but can't get the ball released from the socket of the strut yet. ho hum.

I done mine and sent the struts off with the brackets attached, they regas them like that

I got a nismo v2 spoiler, and had it gassed to 700N, cost me £35.

At first i got the bracket that attaches to the body the wrong way round, and it warps the boot lid. Does not do any damage, but ruins the lines of the Z. Make sure that bracket goes the right way round.

Hi Guys,

Firstly I work for SGS :)

If anyone is having trouble removing the brackets then you can send the struts to us and we will do it free of charge, with just the carriage to pay. If you are doing the bracket removal/fitting yourself then please be careful not to damage the piston rod on the new struts, or cut into the ball on the bracket. Also D4XNY has a point about the bracket orientation - it's very easy to get them upside down and cause the boot to "bow" when closed!

The correct way up:

nissan-350z-bottom-bracket.jpg

Finally we can re-gas and uprate old struts depending on their condition, so we normally recommend customers send their olds struts to us so we can assess them for the re-gas, and if new struts are needed we would transfer the brackets.

Cheers,

Seb

I can vouch for SGS

I sent them my struts... nothing wrong with them, so they gassed them up and sent them back!

To be honest, I was expecting them to say "They are dead, you need new ones" as a way of making extra money. but they didn't!

Seem like a decent respectable company. Go for it...

Check it here...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44815&start=0

I can vouch for SGS

I sent them my struts... nothing wrong with them, so they gassed them up and sent them back!

To be honest, I was expecting them to say "They are dead, you need new ones" as a way of making extra money. but they didn't!

Seem like a decent respectable company. Go for it...

Check it here...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44815&start=0

+1

• 2 months later...

Another big +1 for SGS. I sent mine of Wednesday, Thursday they called to say the shafts were too worn to re-gas so they supplied new ones. They even put my brackets on the new ones and delivered to my door the very next day, £70 all in. A 5th the price of Nissan ones!! :teeth: Great price and even better .... great service!

• 1 month later...
Another big +1 for SGS. I sent mine of Wednesday, Thursday they called to say the shafts were too worn to re-gas so they supplied new ones. They even put my brackets on the new ones and delivered to my door the very next day, £70 all in. A 5th the price of Nissan ones!! :teeth: Great price and even better .... great service!

In hindesight, not so happy with these new struts. Despite adding a stack of pennies to each popper and removing the tailgate weight I still have to use 2 hands to open the tailgate (I have to lift it as I press the release button) then once it's come up a foot or so I have to lift it against the restriction of the struts to it's full height.

I complained to SGS and they said they'd sent me the non-GT struts so exchanged them for the correct ones. New ones were exactly the same.

My old struts that I sent them worked perfectly accept on wet days when the tailgate would lower itself occasionally but even in that state, when you pressed the release button it would pop up on it's own and rise effortlessly to it's full height.

The genuine Nissan ones are really expensive but unless I can get some good used ones I reckon that's going to be the way to go. Having to use 2 hands when you're carrying stuff is a major PIA.

My old struts that I sent them worked perfectly accept on wet days when the tailgate would lower itself occasionally but even in that state, when you pressed the release button it would pop up on it's own and rise effortlessly to it's full height.

I didn't know this was possible?

Anyone else's tail gate open on it's own with one button press? :scare:

I didn't know this was possible?

Anyone else's tail gate open on it's own with one button press? :scare:

One button press would clear the catch, then just the lightest (one finger) assistance would get the tailgate moving and then it rose up smoothly where as now if you don't lift it as you press the button it stays on the catch, even then at half way up you have to give it a pretty firm lift to get it to full height.