I had an accident after the Chester meet.

xStric9x

Unfortunately i hit a dog on the way home from the meet, the dog was rushed to the vets by its owner. I have been in contact with her since and it appears that its back leg is in a very bad way. We have swapped details as she wants to pay for the damage as there was absolutly nothing i could of done, i was doing exactly thirty mph and it ran straight out infront of me, i didn't even get chance to brake.

My car looks like it needs a new front bumper, new headlight washer bottle which sits right behind the bumper along with bracket.

I'll have to wait untill the morning before i can get a real look.

2010_0902zedfest0008.jpg

2010_0902zedfest0004.jpg

2010_0902zedfest0002.jpg

2010_0902zedfest0003.jpg

I'm sure the car will be ok, just a lot of washer fluid over the road so you can imagine what my first thoughts were. Also the wheel arch liner came off so i guess that means i can have a real good look in the morning.

I will go and see the lady and hopefully dog tomorrow to see if they are ok, she was in a bit of a mess which is understandable cause i know i would be the same if it were my dog.

I once hit a cat which I also had no hope of avoiding. It hit the wheel so there was no damage but the cat didn't survive. It was on a 40mph road and was well under the limit but still a car and cat are no match.

It's horrible when it happens and when you get damage to the car also the owner must feel gutted especially with the dog coming off fairly bad. Hope you both get a positive result. :thumbs:

bugger me, id hate that to happen, (ive gone and said it now, i shall drive carefully this evening now)

I had never run anything over until few weeks ago, just lowered my 350z on its coilovers, driving home entering my village, 60mph road (was doing 50) had some prick in a chavalier (so old cant even spelt it lol) right behind me, was dark, rabbit ran out infront of my car, obviously couldnt swerve as id be in a ditch, and couldnt brake due to c**k head behind me trying to touch my rear bumper. so i ran it over straight under the wheel, flattened it there and then, will never forget that crunch noise. :(

Anyway, hope the dog makes it through okay, tbh not that fussed about the car, its only a car after all. that can be fixed.

Just got back from the dealers, as i thought, i need a new bumper, headlight washer bottle, wheel arch liner and new bracket for the reflector.

However on the way home the woman's boyfriend called me and said it was an accident and was not going to pay anything because he has just had to fork out in vets bills. Then came out with the old "how do i know you weren't speeding and there is no way you could of injured the dog's back legs in accordance to where the damage is on my car" I'm p!ssed to say the least, if i was going any more than 30 then the dog would certainly not be here now, plus i'm sure the police car in front of me would have been rear ended. I asked him to pay my excess on my insurance and got told point blank...no way.

Going to drink beer and sulk now.

Ahhhhh man. Thats just the way the bloody world is these days.

You've got to feel sorry for the dog but the bottom line is the owner was not in control of their animal. He should be thankful that it wasn't worse and you weren't injured too.

Best bet.......track the boyfriend down and introduce him to your cracked bumper. Evidence?? what evidence.......that bumper was cracked when I hit a dog the other night officer :D

This is crazy! Surely if his dog ran out onto the middle of the road, then he should be held liable for all damages incurred because he didn't have his dog under control.

Yes the dog probably would be dead if you were speeding but even if you were, its his duty to prove you were speeding (i.e. breaking the law). You were on the road legally - you pay road tax and insurance to be there and were not misusing the road.

If I was the dog owner I would of more than happily paid your excess. Are you going to fight it?

Sorry to read all this. Never nice when it all goes a bit sour. Hope the dog gets through it but looking at the state of the bumper I'd hate to see how a human would take an impact to tear a bumper let alone a dog....

Might be worth taking advise on what your rights are regarding this Mike? You're not the only one to have hit an animal and in this case it's clear who the owners are. Not that I wish them any more pain, but you were doing nothing wrong :shrug:

sorry to hear that mate , i must have jinxed you last night after asking you what had gone wrong with your zed !

i know someone who took the owner to small claims court and won for the same accident involving a dog, court awarded full costs for repairs to car.

I would contact citizen advice , shame about the dog tho hope its ok.