Table Explosion - WTF?

Rubber

Ok, so I was on the phone in the bedroom of the flat when there was a loud crash and my wife screamed :scare:

Went into the sitting room to see her in shock and our coffee table in pieces all over the floor. Coincidentally (?) a car alarm was going off out in the street.

She didn't touch the table - she was just sitting on the couch when it just collapsed (exploded!)

BEFORE:

DSC00707.jpg

AFTER:

SDC14736.jpg

SDC14737.jpg

This ain't a thin table!

SDC14741.jpg

So what happened? I have had this table for 3 years. It has had a relatively heavy sand filled glass ornament (~10 kg) resting in the middle for the last 6 months (not shown in before picture). It has had no other knocks or bangs. I don;t understand how it could just break like that. Surely glass will have a brittle fracture so it will break or it won't break i.e. it won't have been weakening over time? In addition, I was in the bedroom and my wife was siting down so there would have been no floor movement. We are on the 2nd story and the car alaram also went off but I did not notice a tremor or shudder in the windows?

Any materials experts? (or mediums :wacko: )

Chris (Batman)

Thats amazing.....Could be the frequency the car alarm was using that resonated with a flaw in your glass table... simples :teeth:

I would find out who's car and ask them to repalce your table :lol:

If not.... just get a wooden one :thumbs:

P.S Book on "Hamster" and "Keep calm and carry on"...... any thing we should know? :lol::lol:

Our materials expert at work reckons that there may have been a manufacturing defect.He says that it is possible for the crack to have been slowly propagating - something I didn't think would happen with a brittle material like glass :thumbdown:

You're eagle eyed buggers on this site! I think about 10% of people looked at the coffee table and the rest studied every other detail around the flat! :lol:

There's a few sad B@$TARDS around ..... me being one of them :thumbs:

Our materials expert at work reckons that there may have been a manufacturing defect.He says that it is possible for the crack to have been slowly propagating - something I didn't think would happen with a brittle material like glass :thumbdown:

Is there any more jobs coming up in your work as a materials expert? I reckon I could state the obvious as a day job as well :p