I need a new desktop computer **BOUGHT ONE!!**

Sarnie

:wacko:

I need a new computer for my office, I currently have a sony vaio laptop as I used to need to take my computer out to see clients but as I don't do that anymore, I need a more permanent solution.

I am naturally drawn to the Apple iMac's as they look B) and to be fair space is at a premium so the tiny keyboard and thin screen would be ideal. But are they any good? Or would I be better off spending the equivalent money on a PC?

I don't really wanna spend more than a grand by the way :D

Discuss!

Liam

i am sorry but there is no question here

for a grand you could build a pc faster than a mac of equivalent price, you could also bye a slimline keyboard and could even get a micro tower so space wouldnt be too much of an issue.

this way you wouldnt have all the compatibility issues.

needless to say i dont like macs so opinion is pretty biased. but there it is anyway

i dont like macs either but then i think i have enough of an understanding of the way of the sarnie to know

A) there is no way in hell he

...1)will want to build one

...2)can be arsed

...3)wants to know how

B) will be able to leave the shiny apple design alone

C) Will bitch and moan at us when microsoft whatever crashes on him and loses everything.

for your email i would try using gmail. we use it at work (scary i know) but its turned out to be a billion times better than outlook!

i am sorry but there is no question here

for a grand you could build a pc faster than a mac of equivalent price, you could also bye a slimline keyboard and could even get a micro tower so space wouldnt be too much of an issue.

this way you wouldnt have all the compatibility issues.

needless to say i dont like macs so opinion is pretty biased. but there it is anyway

Just out of interest, have you ever used a mac? I tend to find most mac(apple) haters have never used the items

yep

had to use the proper old multi coloured ones at school, a couple of mates have them and my bro has a new macbook pro.

just not a fan, really dont get along with the os. have used a lot of windows os and some linux stuff too and happy with them.

i like my gaming too so compatibility is a big issue for me. a few of my tutors at college have macs, all of them running win7

But my world is currently loaded onto my Outlook calender/tasks......I assume you can't get MS Office on the Mac? Is there an equivalent?

My GF has the current iMac and I have a PC.

We both like our respective machines and do tease each other which is more superior.

The other day she needed to submit a CV but the iMac couldn't read the .doc format, so she sent it to me and I updated it and sent it back to her so she could send it on.

There is a package called iWork from Apple, which does allow you to view all MS Office documents, but at £249 I think it's not worth it.

Yeah, I know.

I did actually look at the tech spec of my GF's iMac and had I had a cup of tea at the time, I would have spat it out over the shop display.

The innards are fairly mediocre, I mean 500GB on-board storage?

My PC has currently got 4TB interal storage :D

The only thing that impresses me tho, is the fact that the design is beautiful, the screen is a LED display an that the OS works quite well for what it is.

I'd go for a mac and dual boot windows 7 with bootcamp for when you really need to use it. The days of apple computers being incompatible are long gone.

No doubt that a built pc will be better bang for buck but if you aren't into that sort of stuff then when something goes wrong it'll be a pain in the ass loading drivers on etc rather popping into the store if you buy from apple/dell/hp etc..

You can get MS Office on OSX, and it's happily cross compatible.

Whilst I do love my iMac (and iPhone and iPad), I still prefer my PC. With the release of Win7 there's really nothing between the two operating systems now as well, so it really is personal preference these days more than anything. What I will say is that you will get a MUCH better spec PC for your cash than a Mac, and there's loads out there these days that look just as good too (all in one monitor/case thing included).

Changed to Mac about 3 -4 years ago and have never looked back, now have desk top and laptop even my better half and her girls were so impressed they've got lap tops too now as well. Can't remember the last time we had to reinstall drivers, reboot or spend 3 days trying to get any of them to do something that should have been straight forward. No viruses, no problems at all unless you include the glass of wine that got spilt on one of the girls' laptops, even that was painless, covered on insurance and changed within 3 days. You don't need iwrite, just get Office for Mac and it will do all the windows things you are used to, needless to say we all still use Word and Exel cos that's what we're all used to. Initially there are a few quirks with different key strokes etc but you'll get used to it in no time. Check out mac forums and do a google for "changing from windows to mac". Double check all the progs you use now will run on Mac, my business accounts package doesn't so I run windows and Mac on the same computer at the same time and just swap between the two when I have to and it never misses a beat, can't imagine what a windows machine would have made of that? Anyway that's my biased opinion, I'm a convert and would never go back to Windows. Hope that helps a tad :D

Whilst MS Office is available on the Mac OSX, it runs very slow compared to the PC version, and DOES NOT include Outlook (although this is supposed to be coming out) - the Mac equivalent to Outlook is called Entourage and whilst it works with MS Exchange, it isn't all that good

Just go for the safe bet and get a PC. You won't regret it, full compatibility with the most popular software packages. And generally just a friendlier operating system.

Size shouldn't be a problem any more either. I don't understand why mac's still have customer's nowadays, but I guess there's always a consumer that just want's to appear different? Even the old argument of video editing and image editing isn't valid. The most powerful graphics programs have always been available for the PC as well, I dunno who started that old rumour.

I bought an Iphone and that mimick's the ideology of MAC, basically take something that already exists, re-style it, re-brand it, and add on several hundred pounds.

Im not a mac hater, just don't believe their better than PC's. I have used them hundreds of times over the past 15 year's as well.

Speed & Looks = Mac

Value & Compatibility = PC

You pay your money and take your choice.

Neither is better or worse than the other, just different.

Iv'e always had a PC because I can build them myself, upgrade them myself, download anything I want to try out for free (then buy the software if I like it :blush: )

I have a friend with an air notebook and the saturday afternoon text conversations when he is trying to find a football stream that works on his mac are classic :lol:

Also not an Apple hater as I :cloud9: my iPhone