Painting and Decorating

Daryl

I need to decorate the downstairs of our house,iv never done it before,and was wondering if i have to clean all the walls down first before I start,or if i can just paint over them as is. Im going for totally different colours.

Any hints or tips would be well received also.

Any hints or tips would be well received also.

Employ a professional :thumbs:

DIY... wash walls with sugar soap 1st, then paint once dry.... :thumbs:

Thats what i was wondering if i needed to do. Also need to flat and fill walls to tidy them up abit,or do most people not bother?

Hi mate,

I just moved into my first house a month ago and have since painted 3 rooms (not as much fun by the third...). Most emulsions covered a multitude of sins, so if your walls are in good nick surface-wise, you should be okay with one coat. I didn't wash mine at all and they turned out fine - although I was going from light colour to dark.

Other tips - don't buy cheap rollers and brushes like I did at first. Job takes twice as long.

If you mask anything, use low-tack tape.

Unscrew light switches etc and paint behind them - looks better than trying to go around. Same with radiators.

When you paint round door frames etc using a brush - after applying the paint, lightly skim across the surface with the very tip of the brush - hardly touching, this will 'lay off' most of the brush lines leaving a smoother finish.

Sorry if any of these seem obvious - I sort of learnt as I went along! Hope this helps :)

I've been decorating for what seems to be a lifetime now ... and I'm still not finished LoL ..

I had the walls professionally plastered as they were in Very bad condition but even then make sure that you go over any imperfections with some Quick Drying Filler and sanding block ... It makes a massive difference to the end result ...

I spent 3 days last week completing the front living room ... and that included painting the walls, ceiling and laying the laminate ... by day 3 I was ready to actually looking forward to being back at work ...

:thumbs:

I say again

Employ a professional :thumbs:

We did pay someone to paint the bedrooms for us,but after a couple of weeks,we started to notice loads of stuff wrong with it,and it was £600 to paint 2 bedrooms! He quoted us £800 to do what we are doing next week in the living room,and im doing the kitchen too.

i wouldnt pay someone to do my decorating :lol: i'll be paying someone to wipe my arse soon :lol:

depends on how good you want the finish, i decided in my last bathroom i wanted the walls to be perfectly smooth and white so i spent 14 hours sanding and filling the plaster then used paint pads to get it perfect! turned out amazingly well B)

Its honestly not hard to get an ok finish but takes a bit of practice to get it really nice

oh and take the masking tape off before it dries!

Jeez, i go away for a little bit and the only thing im useful for get posted up when im away.

Anyhoo, you dont need to wash the walls down unless they are sticky or you're a smoker. Fill the cracks up but dont worry about hairline ones. Usually it takes 2 coats but depends on how differnet the colour is, dark colours are easier to cover light ones, so 2 coats will be plenty(depending on how thin the paint is) but trying to cover a dark colour with a light one could take(hopefully 2) 3 or 4 coats. Dont bother about buying any fancy paint like Farrow and Ball or Fired Earth for example, as they are over priced and will give the same finish as Dulux paints. Most paints are made by Dulux and Crown anyway and if i remember correctly, Dulux even own Crown too. The best paint to use is Dulux Trade(thats what i usually use at work), better than the fancy paint and the normal Dulux paint, but then again, their isnt much in it. So normal Dulux is good enough for DIY. Stay away for cheap paints though as they can have a reaction when you go to paint over it down the line.

Outside paint...well thats different.

If you need anymore help then send me a PM

So normal Dulux is good enough for DIY. Stay away for cheap paints though as they can have a reaction when you go to paint over it down the line.

/quote]

Good guide from a professional

I always specify Dulux for my projects ....... as with most things in life, you get what you pay for ............ and remember ..... it costs exactly the same in labour to put on a coat of crap but you may have to repeat the operation to get the same finish as using a single coat of the good stuff