Super unleaded or not?

jimgallaher

I've read on this forum that Nissan recommend using super unleaded. I've had my zed a month and used suoer for my 1st couple of fills. Then it got more expensive, £129.9 per litre so now I'm filling on average a half a tank every week, so to keep costs down I'm alternating week about, unleaded and super unleaded. To be honest I've noticed little or no difference between super and standard performance wise. What are the drawbacks ? Future probs with injectors? Any advice, comments would be most welcome. I used to put super in my St Fiesta and it definitely gave a performance boost compared to standard, but it not so obvious with the zed.

The ECU adjust on what type of fuel you use, saying that super it's reccomended as the Zed it's a performance car, also the super it's cleaner / pure than normal petrol.

If you go for normal unloaded used Redex from time to time to clean the enjectors etc..

If you use super one week and normal another, it wont be tuning the fuel maps for the super when you put it in, its not having time to adjust, so you are always getting worse performance and MPG.

TBH I did a fair bit of testing when I got mine, and performance aside, I found that the increase in MPG more than paid for super over normal fuel. Coupled to that we have seen cars loose as much as 20-30BHP on the dyno because of standard fuel, and its really not worth running it.

Just get super and be happy with driving it :thumbs:

The ECU adjust on what type of fuel you use, saying that super it's reccomended as the Zed it's a performance car, also the super it's cleaner / pure than normal petrol.

If you go for normal unloaded used Redex from time to time to clean the enjectors etc..

Aless, i would like to point out that "Super" unleaded fuel it no different from "Normal" fuel in respect to it being cleaner more pure. The only difference is that Super unleaded has more

additives injected into it at time of loading into the fuel tanker at the fuel terminal.

All fuel companies use a number of distrubition terminals across the UK and even the tesco, asda etc load their tankers from the same places as the Shell Bp and esso. The reason the Supermarket prices are slightly cheaper is because they have less additives put into their fuel at time of loading.

Was good too meet you on sunday. :thumbs:

Do you guys know if there is a major difference between Tesco 99 and V-power ( 98? ) I recently filled up with V-power and it looked like I got more mpg out of it

Not a lot really. I'll let the petrol gurus (Mart/Stew/etc) tell you, but it all comes from the same place, just Shell/BP put different additives in the fuel to keep the system clean (allegedly). Unless you run more than one tank, you wont really be able to tell the difference between fuels as the car wont adjust in time to give good comparison :thumbs:

Also isnt v-power rated @ 99 octane not 98

In the United Kingdom and Denmark (where Super Unleaded must be a minimum of 97 RON), V-Power has a rating of 99 RON (whereas V-Powers' predecessor Shell Optimax was rated at 98 RON). There is one other 99 RON fuel available in the UK, namely Tesco Super Unleaded 99.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_V-Power

also different additives are used depending on the company, its like the colonels special receipe for some of them :lol:

although BP is only 97 ron i found that very good. tesco 99 is fine as well, never really used shell as it was always the most expensive near me.

sainsbury 97 is ok, texaco is shocking felt very lumpy on that stuff.

also different additives are used depending on the company, its like the colonels special receipe for some of them :lol:

although BP is only 97 ron i found that very good. tesco 99 is fine as well, never really used shell as it was always the most expensive near me.

Remember a few years ago, Tesco had silicon in their fuel? This came out of the Terminal at Purfleet. The terminal is Vopak and they still operate.. :scare:

I have noticed zero difference between Shell "V" power & Sainsburys 97 Ron.

It is alleged that "JET" fuel is all 97 RON. :shrug:

Chaps ALL fuel is fed to ALL distrubition terminal across the UK by all the refineries in the UK, all companies load their tankers from the same places, wether is sainsburys or shell or esso.

Additives are the name of the game here. and this amount of additive determins the pump price.

Drive slower= better MPG?

Aless, i would like to point out that "Super" unleaded fuel it no different from "Normal" fuel in respect to it being cleaner more pure. The only difference is that Super unleaded has more

additives injected into it at time of loading into the fuel tanker at the fuel terminal.

All fuel companies use a number of distrubition terminals across the UK and even the tesco, asda etc load their tankers from the same places as the Shell Bp and esso. The reason the Supermarket prices are slightly cheaper is because they have less additives put into their fuel at time of loading.

Was good too meet you on sunday. :thumbs:

More aditives= better fuel=more expencives as a general rule? ( I know it's a lot more complicated than this) I normally fill up at Tesco but when I use V-Power it seems to me that the car feels more smooth and get more mpg, but it might be all in my head.

Zugara was nice to meet you too :wave:

Both my Z & Cupra didn't like Texaco petrol. My car is mapped for SUL now though (i think :blush: )

Bp supplies sainsburys with their fuel. Im pretty sure its the exact same. :thumbs:

only used sainsburys once, never noticed any adverse affects, nice to know its BP stuff as thats always run well in my cars.

but tesco is cheaper at the mo, so thats whats going in mine

showing that you didnt know it was bp stuff doesnt that show that petrol is abit of a placebo in a way. most people fill up at their perferred stations. When they change I think they are being extra pineckty and listening out for noises. If you look on the internet you will see posts like "filled up with tesco 99, made my car run crap so im back on v power." i doubt the engine could tell too much bar the detergents. I dont think it would map its self different either. im not saying this againt regular vs super but just reg vs reg or super vs super.

Actually on 50 mile motorway commutes outside of rush-hour, I get 1 mpg more on regular. This is consistent over many weeks and thousands of miles, no matter where I filled up.

But for any more aggressive use than that, you can feel the engine's using it under protest and I would stick to super... Even if it is sometimes ridiculously over-priced at some garages :thumbdown:

If you use super one week and normal another, it wont be tuning the fuel maps for the super when you put it in, its not having time to adjust, so you are always getting worse performance and MPG.

TBH I did a fair bit of testing when I got mine, and performance aside, I found that the increase in MPG more than paid for super over normal fuel. Coupled to that we have seen cars loose as much as 20-30BHP on the dyno because of standard fuel, and its really not worth running it.

Just get super and be happy with driving it :thumbs:

Now I'm confused, If I alternate fuels week on week, aren't I effectively mixing the two octane ratings and getting a hybrid eg 96.5, going up or down dependant on the mix ratio and then won't the ECU adjust accordingly ? Just a thought, my background is electrical engineering not mechanical or chemical engineering.

i don't think mixing will boost the lower octane if your running the tank to empty it will just start a fresh each tank, but because your swapping it doesn't have enough time to adjust fully,

stick with one fuel, preferably hi octane.