350z in snow and snow tyres!

thebesh

Hey Guys

I live in the North East of Scotland and as such we often get about 30-40 days of snow a year. This is about the ONLY reason I'm considering not buying a zed - I've driven a RWD before in the snow and was up on the pavement and through people's gardens while I was merely a passenger in the car. The alternative I'm looking at is an S3, but it doesn't have the WOW factor of the zed.

I've thought about getting snow tyres if I go for the zed - does anyone have any experience with snow tyres or any real general snow stories - as the thought of driving in the snow with 300 ponies going to the back wheels isn't a nice thought!

imho its down to driver ability,

most on here will tell you that its a pig to drive in the snow and you can t go anywhere, but i ran mine all year round and didn't really ahve any issues.

snow tyres will make a good difference to the drive as will snow socks . i've driven several rwd cars in snow and have made better progress than others in fwd cars in the same weather on the same roads.

I drove the zed in the snow a few times and didnt think it was that bad at all. If you get snow tyres for it I am sure you will be fine......... I have the jdm which has the snow button, it basically doesnt allow the revs to go above 3k "i think" and it has got me out a few sticky situations in the past lol

I've driven MR2s for the last 5 years in all weather...with the engine over the driven wheels, snow wasn't just easy to drive on it was bloody good fun!! :lol:

I got the Zed in December, and immediately was faced with a couple of week's snow. The car was awful on the snow, but I put it down to the tyres...RE040s!! :angry:

Trying to turn out of my road onto a slight hill, I found the front tyres would dig in and the backs spin sending the rear slowly towards the kerb. There were a couple of days I worked from home, but on the days I got to work I found hooning around the carpark really fun and easy to control. Reading up on the RE040s, people suggest that in anything under 0°C they effectively turn to plastic! :lol: Not helpful in the snow!!

I've run Toyos and Falkens before in the snow, and my rears are almost on the wear markers now so it's time to change tyres! I think I'll try the Falkens out for the next year, and if I struggle this coming winter maybe move onto something slightly softer still.

To be honest if your tyres have a decent amount of tread on them or are snow tyres driving the zed in snow is easy.

I struggled with traction last winter when its snowed froze then snowed on top of it but th eyear before no issues but I only had 2.5mm of tread left on the rears.

Chuck 3 or 4 bags of gravel/grit salt in your boot over the driven wheels and it makes it even easier.

30-40 days of snow a year wouldnt be enough to stop me getting a car I want + as others have said alot of it has to do with driving style + All cars have problems in the snow even 4X4'S or 4 wheel drive cars (they are only better with traction when going fowards/sideways)

When we all try and brake we are in the same cituation.

So yeah get the Z and dont look back :thumbs:

I drove in the snow a few times this winter, really heavy snow out Airdrie way which I thought I would be certain to get stuck in. I have the D1 Spec Throttle controller and I stuck this into Eco5 mode and it works an absolute treat in the snow as it stops you putting all those ponies in the one go and helps you pull away slowly.

I must admit, I had a bit of a nightmare at the beginning of January this year coming out of work; I was stuck in a car park for an hour before I was pushed out, the snow was around a foot hugh and my petrol tank was almost empty which didn't help the weight at the rear end.

After I drove the car home that night I put it into my garage until the snow was gone. I think this winter was a one-off so I wouldn't not get a Zed again because of it but if I had 30-40 days almost guaranteed every year I'd possibly think twice....... or else think of the other 330 days and just go for it. I had a look on Autotrader last night and they seem like an absolute bargain at the moment.

I live in Germany where winter tyres are mandatory by law.

I used Continental WinterContact of with 245 rear and 225 front.

I did not have a problem.

You just need to drive it sensibly and short shift and not be abrupt with throttle or brakes or steering input and try to only accelerate, brake or steer - not 2 of those things at the same time.

You just need to drive it sensibly and short shift and not be abrupt with throttle or brakes or steering input and try to only accelerate, brake or steer - not 2 of those things at the same time.

Do you have a winter and summer set then on different rims?

Do you have a winter and summer set then on different rims?

yes

everybody here has that.

you can usually pay your dealer 40-50 euros for storage per year of the set of wheels with tyres that you are not using

I don't drive the Zed in the snow. The problem we have in NE Scotland is the amount of snow (depth) which doesn't plague our more southern members.

My Freelander was grounding out a lot on my drive to work this year on hard snow and ice.

My Zed simply would be undrivable on that. So would an S3 though.....

When we get a good day and can utilise the awesome roads we have though the winter is soon forgotten.