Argh! Might This Be Evidence Of Crash Damage?

spindoctor

Just noticed something a bit odd today on my Zed, which I picked up on Monday just gone...

The plastic body panels that go up the A pillars and along the sides of the roof have got some cracks in them, so I thought I'd take some photos to let you guys have a look. On it's own it's not that worrying, but I'm just concerned that it's an indicator of something more serious like crash damage. Maybe someone on here knows something about the car? Used to have a private reg X????...

Anyhoo, here's the photos. This is goes down to a tab which holds the back end of the driver's side panel on:

IMAG0016.jpg

I found that out when I checked the other side and saw it had seperated entirely:

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

Back to the driver's side, there's also a crack which leads down from the nick in the rubber trim, but it's really hard to see:

IMAG0015.jpg

Any and all help appreciated. I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow anyway, for them to have a look, as I don't think that's acceptable. Do you think I'm within my rights to ask them to replace the panels?

Many thanks,

Doug

Apologies for the double post, but I just read how to remove the B pillar trim, so did that and attempted better photos.

First thing I noticed is that the drivers side trim must have been removed before as the middle clip is broken:

IMAG0020.jpg

Here are better shots of the cracked drivers side rear tab and the crack at the drivers side front:

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

And here's a shot of the passengers side in place:

IMAG0023.jpg

And lifted up:

IMAG0022.jpg

As before, all help appreciated...

Doug

Surely this could have happened when some idiot tried to change the windscreen but didn't know what he was doing??

Both A pillars and B pillars come off and are on clips plus a screw so i very much doubt that they would affect the structure of the car in the event of a roll.

You should be able to get it repaired with new A pillars. It will cost a fair bit. I would demand that they put this all right or pay to have it done.

:surrender:

Actually looking at the new pics with b pillar covers off I would take it back and play bloody hell.

That would probably affect the strength of the roof if you rolled it. That's a serious problem there mate I'm afraid.

I would ask for my money back :rant:

The plastic A pillar covers load over rollover protection?????

I'd ask for the parts replaced personally. If you have no luck then you could try ZMANALEX or R35LEE on the forums.

Alex is just in Perth too!

Thanks for the responses so far folks!

I wouldn't have thought it was a load bearing part, but will definately ask them to either replace/pay for new covers or give my money back...

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Any other insights still welcome, as I'll be keeping an eye on this thread closely tonight...

Thanks,

Doug

I had one of these fly off when i was traveling at speed ;)

its was still under warrenty but they refused to fix it and i couldnt be ar$ed fighting them as the car was going to be getting resprayed

good luck :thumbs:

sorry but but dont know if there are any logos or codes to look out for. best bet is to ask the person you bought it from. take a pic of your windscreen. mine has a code on the bottom passenger side. its prob just a BS code but someone may know if it original or a replacement from this.

The windscreen has no logos whatsoever... Think we've found the culprit!

From that step-by-step, it looks like your theory is right Magic... :thumbs:

Bloody windscreen replacement muppets...! :rant:

Suppose I better see how I get on tomorrow... Wish me luck!

Thanks guys and gals!

Doug