winds of change, need help

rtbiscuit

i can't believe i'm writing this but i've got to a point where i need to man up and take some responsibility.

without going into detail financially i've been struggling for a while and i have for quiet a while been sat with my head in the sand. but with mounting costs in life for a variety of things i have realised that the sensible thing to do is sell the zed to recoup some capital out of the car to clear the majority of debt. this is partly the reason i pulled out of wales.

i need to sit down and work out what the car is worth and what i'll strip and what will stay for sale wise.

but what i also need help with is what to replace it with. i'm looking at a maximum spend of about £5000 but would like some suggestions of what to get.

i have been thinking about the RX7 but think i might be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire finacially with one of those.

other posibilities are:

supra's

GTO's

Celica GT4's

externally i like the evo's but internally i find the early ones vile.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

First off, good man for realising you need to do something. Second, don't be an idiot an get another performance car as it'll either be fragile (rx-7, GTO) or too tempting to spend cash on (anything big with a turbo on). Get a shed so you have no temptation to spend money you don't have as it's pointless, or get something cheap and cheerful that won't have big costs (mr2 again, or mx-5?).

If you're in that much trouble you have to sell your car, then buying another fast one is just daft. Don't take any of this the wrong way, you know I love you and that, but I don't want to see you take a bad turn on this one fella.

I was in this state of mind last week :dry:

I then took my ass out in my car for a :drive1 and realised the struggle is worth it.....only just though :D

But i totally understand if the time comes and things are tight the only sensible thing to do is to sell and move on

Last thing I would do if had financial difficulties, would be buying another Japanese car like the ones you mentioned. I sat and counted how much I spent on my old GTIR and it came to the price of my current Zed. I think if you want it to be financially safe, then you would be best going for a wee run around. Best thing I ever did was buy an old 1993 clio for £800, insurance £200, and £25 in fuel lasted me a month. For 2 years it allowed me to focus my money on other things, get my bills and outgoings sorted and eventually let me get back into the game, affording the Zed :)

All the best with your decision mate, hope it works out well for ya!

:shrug::surrender: Rich you are probably the only few people on here that actually makes any sense when it comes to your depth of knowledge on the Zed. Hang in there buddy..things would be fine eventually. A lot of us are in the same boat..just have to ride it out.

First off, good man for realising you need to do something. Second, don't be an idiot an get another performance car as it'll either be fragile (rx-7, GTO) or too tempting to spend cash on (anything big with a turbo on). Get a shed so you have no temptation to spend money you don't have as it's pointless, or get something cheap and cheerful that won't have big costs (mr2 again, or mx-5?).

If you're in that much trouble you have to sell your car, then buying another fast one is just daft. Don't take any of this the wrong way, you know I love you and that, but I don't want to see you take a bad turn on this one fella.

i'm glad for the info.

things aren't diabolically bad, i could keep it but i want to reduce the debt quicker. i'm making all my payments, and i am already reducing it, but i'm sick of paying large amounts of interest.

i don't want a shed as it will drive me up the wall, and i still want performance. just an older car.

its not like i'm going bankrupt, but i'm getting annoyed of paying for bankers holidays with interest i'm paying. already sorting out consolidating my debt and getting a loan to cover it, etc. to reduce the interest i pay. but i quiet fancy cutting the debt size.

hence looking at an older car.

all of the cars you have listed have the potential to cost you alot more than the zed would,

rx7s need engine rebuild to offen, gtos are renound for being very unreilable, supras are nice but costly, evos are expensive to run/ insure

thats all just my personal opinion of course.... but if I were to take a step backwards but still have something nice id go back to a 200sx s14a, pick up a really nice one for about £4-5k, not crazy on insurance and very capable of putting a smile on your face

Think i'd have to say the same as the guys saying that it'd cost you the same with a old jap car than it would with the zed, it costs me more or less the same to run the zed as it did my 98 NA MR2. Unless you get a cheaper car or selling the car will pay off the debt it i dont think it'd be worth it.. imo..

realy sorry to hear this, but as said before youve stood up and faced it :thumbs: . i'd stay well clear of the evo's and rx 7 as the running costs can be :scare: and your be in the same boat. as bigdave said find yourself a little hot hatch. you may not have the speed but you can def have just as much fun.

hope you can hang in there and keep the z tho.

I'm only going to echo the sentiments above, particularly about avoiding moneypits like RX7s and GTOs. I'd pick up an MR2 or MX5 and enjoy the cheap running costs and fine handling for a bit. :)

out of my original list the Rex was the only one that interested me, and i kinda new that they were going ot be a money pit.

might have to look at some hot hatches.

or one possible is the Alfa GTV always loved them

cars are my hobby, i'm not going to buy a shed or not for very long at least. i am by no means broke just feel i need to down size.

i've done MR2's before and don't tend to like to go backwards into cars i've previously had.

Rich, you are 10x the man you were before in my eyes for contemplating such actions but its the right thing mate :clap:

However just like others have voiced, i would stay clear of any performance car and get a decent youngish and cheap car to run/insure/fuel/service etc to get the books in order and then bounce back later or sacrifice a few things now to keep the zed, because its not always cheap to swap cars as it may seem. So do your home work.

Note you will be in a greater position of strenght if the car is HPI clear or weakenned if not as PX will try to rape you :surrender:

I hope you hang in there until the breeze blows over :thumbs: