Gym & Fitness

maz0

Just curious if any of you are into weight training and the likes, as it seems to be a popular thing these days. A lot of chat about martial arts recently and I over heard some folk discussing it on a recent meet ;)

If you are into it,

How long have you been?

What's your goals, personal fitness, competition, sports?

Maybe we can share some tips on dieting and training styles.

Personally I've trained serious for about 3 years (personal fitness only), but recently taken a break for several months because of other priorities, but I'm itching to get back into it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty serious about my training and diet etc ...

I've been training with Weights for about 2 and a half years now and my overall goal is to add some size and strength while staying as lean as possible ... LoL

I'm also quite into my general fitness too ... as I run a few miles a week and also swim on weekends ...

:thumbs:

have slipped for a few months and just started tuesday getting back into the training and the diet... doing a crazy one at the moment and rather not tell on here since I'm going to get so much slagging from other gym people :lol:;)

I've been training for nearly half my lifetime! My goals have changed over the years, and at present my main target is to drop my bodyfat down to c.10% whilst increasing my aerobic fitness/work capacity. As such, I'm trying to train quickly and incorporate a lot of circuits and bodyweight exercises into my training.

I find it quite hard to train this way in my local gym; the rest of the members seem to be split between those who potter around trying to look cool by wearing gloves and those who train hard but concentrate either on weights or cardio. For an example of my ideal try either of these two:

www.rosstraining.com

www.themillgym.com

I've been training for nearly half my lifetime! My goals have changed over the years, and at present my main target is to drop my bodyfat down to c.10% whilst increasing my aerobic fitness/work capacity. As such, I'm trying to train quickly and incorporate a lot of circuits and bodyweight exercises into my training.

I find it quite hard to train this way in my local gym; the rest of the members seem to be split between those who potter around trying to look cool by wearing gloves and those who train hard but concentrate either on weights or cardio. For an example of my ideal try either of these two:

http://www.rosstraining.com

http://www.themillgym.com

Do you not also have the lass and lads going around on the machines using the the wrong way and loading the weight on??

Power plates :lol: rubbish!

Training for my 4th triathlon in scotland. Due to a sliped disc, has put me back a few months. but i do kettle bells road racing, road running, and just heavy weights 2wice a week. keeps me lean srong and fit, all u need for me really. people wanna be big and strong etc but everybody is different and not everyone can achieve the same goals as each other.

have slipped for a few months and just started tuesday getting back into the training and the diet... doing a crazy one at the moment and rather not tell on here since I'm going to get so much slagging from other gym people :lol:;)

Go on... :p

;):lol: no chance, involves food replacement and hard cardio every 2nd day and heavy weights betwen...oh and no drink!

bag.gif

I used to be right into it when my wife was working away 2 years ago then I bought my first property about a year and a half ago, so it was an expense I thought could go but I've since then put on roughly 4stone :thumbdown: but ive re joined the gym bjt struggling to shift it!! :boxing:

Go on... :p

;):lol: no chance, involves food replacement and hard cardio every 2nd day and heavy weights betwen...oh and no drink!

bag.gif

No drink?? food replacement??? :headhurt: Ima already against that idea :lol:

I do a fair bit of training, work as a membership advisor in a gym so need to keep up with all the new trends! Been doing a long term review of power plates recently, end result has been entertaining. :lol:

Is that those vibrating plates you stand on? Their quite popular in my gym but I've never tried them. End result then? Go on...:p

I've been training with Weights for about 2 and a half years now and my overall goal is to add some size and strength while staying as lean as possible ... LoL

That's always been my biggest difficulty, getting larger without lots of fat, and getting leaner without loosing muscle. Ultimately I've went from 11.5 stones to 13.5 stones while maintaining over all body fat at around 12% which disheartened me and gave me the push to take a break. How are you managing it?

Go on mate, do share. I doubt its anything I haven't tried in the past, I once tried a bulking diet, which revolved around big mac's! I must admit though I put on quite a lot of size, and strength increased, but I felt sluggish and got awfully spotty.

I'd say I was a pretty serious gym goer.

Been training seriously for 3 years, but have always been pretty fit with football and being ex-forces.

Changed my goals slightly this year, so from Jan 1st I went on a No carb diet for 6-8 weeks and shed, over 1 stone. I was only 12 1/2 stone to begin with. Got down to as low as 11st 2 but now back on with controlled carbs and a good balanced diet where I'm watching my sugar intake closely and now I'm at a steady 11st 6.

I train almost every day, generally with free weights, concentrating on 1 or 2 muscle groups at the same time. On my supposed off days I do cardio, of between 5-8km run, cross trainer and cycle. Also do alot of regular core work which has seen some huge improvements this year.

The best excercise I've taken on this year is the basic push-up, chin-up and dips. I do 100 push-ups every day and try and do at least 30 - 60 chin-ups and dips whenever I can.

I think I've lost 10% bodyfat this year, so far, which for me is a huge acheivement because I really love my sugary things.

I do take suppliments though, as with the amount of work I do I need good clean calories.

I've been taking myprotein impact whey isolate which has been very good and tastes nice.

Also take, omega 3,6,9 capsules as well as CLA capsules. The CLA I think is what has helped me strip the fat and become more lean.

I've also been taking myprotein CEE, which is a creatine tablet.

My goals are to look really lean and muscular but not big. I'm thinking of not quite as big as Men's health covers etc but there abouts.

My downside is legs, they are stick thin (They always have been), can't seem to motivate myself to do them. Maybe next years challenge?

I've been training for around 10yrs now, started off with my dad in the garage full of bars and freeweights, but from 18 hit the gyms. In terms of goals as long as I'm healthy and clothes fit me well I'm more or less happy, but come the summer months I do tend to put some harder training in, an even balance of heavy weights, cardio, swimming And cycling.

Work commitments get in the way quite a bit though, also it's bloody expensive some times; protein shakes & 6 small meals a day!

Ive turned into a right lard ass this last year...

Not happy with myself at all :dry:

get off your ass so! :angry:

Its difficult to find the time with a new baby and a post natal depressed partner :cry:

:doh: sorry, always step in it with a big nr 12... :surrender:

(send your parter off for pampering session...)

A

Muddy:

That sounds alot like my current workout routine ... My legs are by far my weakest part!

I've been training legs once a week for the last few months and although have not noticed much difference in size, the strength increases have been great!

I get the majority of my supplements from My Protein too ... best place IMO.

I've been training for about 5 years on and off and I also do Thai boxing. Right now I'm 14 and a half stone but quite chubby. Was 15stone 4 with 13% bodyfat last year at summer. Trying to get bk into it but my job involves me working late alot and weekend so it's hard to make time.

I have been training for about 5 years, but only about 3 of them seriously. I play rugby at a high level so my main goal was to bulk up but still be able to get around the park. So in my peak I trained 4 days a week then played rugby on sat. Monday was free weights to try and increase muscle on my traps, chest, arms and legs. Tuesday was speed training by our ex army fitness instructor lol.......... which was hell. Wed was back in the gym doing either upper or lower body, whatever one i didnt do on mondays session. Thurs was a team run through, which is normally all fitness. Sat........ play rugby and Sunday recover in the pool and sauna lol.

I have had a couple of sh!tty injuries i.e. torn hamstring and slap lesion which always holds you back as you cant train properly. I used creatine and whey protein as supps, which where given to me by the nutritionist at our rugby club.

At my peak my stats where 5ft 11...... 17 stone...... max rep 130kgs bench Position Tight head prop or Blind side flanker.

I have been away in oz for 4 months and put on half a stone but in the wrong side of muscle lol. AHHHH the joys of beer :lol: So just now i am sitting at the 15 stone mark.

So will be hitting the gym over summer to get myself back in top condition for next season :)

All my training is very specific to the sport i play...American football - the season has started so i am on a maintance programme (sort of)

Sunday - 3 hours of team training or game

Monday - rest

Tue - heavy ish weights 85% of max 6 reps 3-4 sets (max)

Dead lift, DB bench, bent over row, Jumps, Lateral raises, pull ups, push press

Wed - long cycle with sprints or random setting, core works out...

Thurs - heavy ish weights 85% of max 6 reps 3-4 sets (max)

Dead lift, DB bench, bent over row, Jumps, Lateral raises, pull ups, push press

Friday - Light sesson 70% 4 sets

Over head bar box squat, Walking squats kness always bent, Cleans

Sat - rest!

I have been training on and off for around 10 years-the foucs has always been on what sport i am playing.

Muddy I was also the same regarding legs, but I decided to totally reshape my workouts and make my legs the priority in my goals which helped a lot. I was generally always 5 days a week at the gym, and 5th day was legs and lower back. If I could only make it 4 days that week then legs were forgotten, which I come to realise now was such a waste. Once I made legs my priority I have to admit that Squats + Deadlifts seriously revolutionised my training, between the two of them, they pretty much use every other muscle as a secondary or stability muscle, and not to mention the hard use of the glutes, quads and hamstrings, which apparently helps promote testosterone production in the body.