3D Movies... I dont get it....

Zedrush

Maybe its just me but I went and watched Clash of the Titans in 3D, first time I watched anything in 3d at the cinema, and after the lady had given me some crummy glasses I put them on and half way through started to get a really bad headache, as I took them off I could kind of see the image on the screen some shots were a bit blurry.

Maybe it was the movie I chose but nothing really stood out for me, think I would enjoy watching the movie without the 3d effect. Sometimes some of the characters looked like they were an inch off the screen but thats about it. Id rather avoid 3d promoted movies and watch regular on screen movies without headache and silly glasses. Anyone else think the same or am I the only one? I really cant see the point of 3d. Now they are bringing out 3d tv's with glasses, are these really going to take off?

Hope 3D doesn't become the industry standard in movies, as that would suck for me, perhaps its just a faze and will hopefully pass by...

Film was a flop for me too even without the 3D glasses, weak storyline

Depends on the movie you go to watch. I saw a few 3D movies about 6 or 7 years ago and felt the same as you. Then I was dragged to see Avatar recently and the 3D effects were truly spectacular. I was very impressed.

The movie itself was crap but then you can't have everything... :yawn:

I haven't seen one myself yet so can't judge the difference in quality or entertainment so I will just have to reserve final opinion until I've compared it. That's said, I think it will definitely be more successful on the right kind of film - a lot of people have said it worked really well on Avatar.

But the cynic in me can't help thinking it seems a bit gimmicky at the moment and before long, other industries will twig on and start selling designer 3D glasses/visors/cases etc and piping 3D-vision into you front room/iPod (at additional cost)!

Then again it could just be the next evolution in audio-visual entertainment and we're heading for a Mirority Report-esque futurama! :scare:

apparantley that film waas not filmed in 3D but filmed normally and then converted after it was sorted - something to do with the film makers only realising half way through filming that they should have done it in 3D.

I thought avatar looked good in 3D but the gf could not get on with it at all and kept removing the glasses as it strained her eyes.

3D has been and gone before. I think it's a gimmick at best, and at worst, a cynical attempt by the movie industry to make the consumers pay for their inability to deal with piracy by charging extra for the glasses etc.

I can't think of a single good film that I have ever seen that I have thought would be better if it had been made in 3D. Films by their nature are a 2D medium so I can't see any benefit in trying to make them 3D. The worst kind of 3D films are the ones that were originally intended to be 2D, but have then been 'converted' to 3D. It just doesn't work.

A good film is immersive because it has a great script, acting and cinematography, not because things point at you all the time.

...and now breath :lol:

One of the reasons more and more films are coming out in 3D is the fact is stops people using camcorders etc to pirate the films as its a fuzzy mess without the glasses.

Agree though.....3D has only complimented a couple of films I have seen. Jim Carrey Scrooge had a really effective use of it but I wanted to hurl......too much, much too much!

Have seen a few 3d movies now, and Avatar is the only one i'd recommend. Infact, Avatar was maybe the best thing i've ever seen at the cinema. :shrug: Totally fantastic.

As for the TV's at home.... i can see them going out of fashion very quickly. I was reading into the tech recently - there are currently 2 technologies being brought to market:

1. Have a kind of ridged lens on the tv, making it display alternate lines of a left and right picture. This will mean glasses are not required, but the viewing angle is very poor

2. Have glasses that have a lens over each eye that closes and opens in time with the refresh rate of your tv... i.e. the shutters closing 100 times a second. They will alternate each eye, and at the same time, display the left frame and then the right frame on the tv. I can see this working - but it will give you a serious headache i would have thought!!

Its the movie you watched I'd say. Watched AVATAR in 3D twice and loved it... far better then the 2D stuff, glasses seem to differ between cinemas... had really cool ones in the second one I went to that didnt cause any pain. I think your brain might have gone overload and caused your headaches. It's fooling the brain to see things thats not there, bet its not good for you at all :lol:

its worth remembering that some films are made in 3D (such as avatar, and all CGI films) and others are filmed in 2D then converted to 3D (like both alice and clash of the titans).

the latter can have very mixed results and while i've not actually seen alice in wonderland or clash of the titans, reviews and what i've heard people saying about them suggests that alice's 3D is pretty good but clash of the titans is crap. in fact, clash of the titans is the first film i'm aware of that got lower review scores in 3D than 2D because of the lazy conversion process.

like it or not, 3D is here to stay as cinemas will push for it hard; it generates more income, gives people reason to go to the cinema rather than just waiting for the blu-ray or dvd and it is impossible to bootleg a 3D film with a camera.

Jay, can you do those magic eye things? The reason I ask is I know I dont see in stereo vision, so 3D effects dont work for me either. It wasnt until I had my squint done for the second time when I was 16yrs old that my parents finally beleived me that I could chose which eye to look through and they have very independant images (I "use" one or the other, never both at the same time). Therefor these images that rely on the eyes blending the image from both to form the illusion never work. Wonder if you dont have stereo vision either? If you cant do magic eyes, that pretty much guarentees it.

wonder if they do continue with 3d if its possible to have like a pair of big spectacles over the screen instead on our face so we dont need to wear the glasses as the screen has done that for us, wonder if thats possible

That wont work, as the idea behind 3D is that each eye needs to receive a different image to the other. The screen displays 2 images slightly differently and each lense of the glasses masks one and allows the other through, just as you see in real life.

I hope its just a gimmic as I cant enjoy it, and it will be a ball ache to watch them with glasses and get no effect! :lol:

it is impossible to bootleg a 3D film with a camera.

Not quite right, just requires the right filter and colour correction software afterwards, but the bootleggers prepared to stretch to these lengths will be few and far between until the technology becomes more mainstream.

Jay, can you do those magic eye things? The reason I ask is I know I dont see in stereo vision, so 3D effects dont work for me either. It wasnt until I had my squint done for the second time when I was 16yrs old that my parents finally beleived me that I could chose which eye to look through and they have very independant images (I "use" one or the other, never both at the same time). Therefor these images that rely on the eyes blending the image from both to form the illusion never work. Wonder if you dont have stereo vision either? If you cant do magic eyes, that pretty much guarentees it.

wonder if they do continue with 3d if its possible to have like a pair of big spectacles over the screen instead on our face so we dont need to wear the glasses as the screen has done that for us, wonder if thats possible

That wont work, as the idea behind 3D is that each eye needs to receive a different image to the other. The screen displays 2 images slightly differently and each lense of the glasses masks one and allows the other through, just as you see in real life.

I hope its just a gimmic as I cant enjoy it, and it will be a ball ache to watch them with glasses and get no effect! :lol:

expand on that stereo eye thingy? I dont get what u'r talkign about.

it is impossible to bootleg a 3D film with a camera.

Not quite right, just requires the right filter and colour correction software afterwards, but the bootleggers prepared to stretch to these lengths will be few and far between until the technology becomes more mainstream.

while films are released to the cinema in both 2D and 3D versions, no one will bother going to those lengths.

The technology is also now becoming available for home use too. There are a few tv's and a few projectors that are 3d capable too.

Some people do suffer headaches or eye strain when watching 3d, just s some see the rainbow efect of DLP projectors. :shrug:

I have refrained from speccing anything with 3d capability during my cinema rebuild at home as Im not bothered about going the 3d route, and would rather just have top quality normal projection instead.

Im sure there will be the odd time that its fun, but for everyday viewing I doubt it would be to most peoples tastes. The glasses are a necesity, as its the viewing of slightly different images from the slightly different angles of each eye that gives the 3d appearence.

Clash of the Titans sucked balls! A truely appaulling film.

I know what you mean about the 3D too and I thought it was runnish in the film as well. Don't write it off, go see Avatar on 3D IMAX and I promise you'll forget the headache.

expand on that stereo eye thingy? I dont get what u'r talkign about.

You mean magic eyes or stereo vision? Magic Eye relies on the viewers ability to merge the image from the right and left eye. When this is done a secret image is revealed. See the site that Rich links to above to see how it works in their FAQ. If you dont have stereo vision (ie vision that merges the image from the left and right eye), they these dont work. Equally the 3D effects in the cinema dont work as they work on the same principal. Technically I have mono vision, always having an image from either my right or left eye, and I have such control over them, I can pick which one! If you want me to freak you out, come see me at Wales :lol: It does mean technically I dont see in 3D, but your brain gets used to it so I can compensate for distances in most things, but stuff such as a flying shuttlecock, I always misjudge :blush:

I wonder how long before we start getting 3D Hollographic Projected Films into thin air................................. :wacko:

or when you can smell the actors just by watching the screen that will be the next thing. Like playing a game like Gran Tourismo and you can smell the rubber burning as you take the sharp corners :lol: Or rockys armpits when he's boxing :yuck: