press and hold TC button = wtf !

yokomo

ok so im sure alot fo you know that to really turn of the electronic nanny on bmws, audis and some other makes you have to press and hold the button for a few seconds.

well on the way home today i thought id try it on my Z and see what happens , expecting nothing i was shocked to find that the light came on when i pressed but then after holding the button downf or a few seconds it went out and wouldnt come back on again !

so press and hold TC light comes on to say TC disabled then goes out (TC on ??) and stays out till you restarr the car.

anyone else had this happen or know what it means if anything ?

Oh, if only it stayed out permanently after you switched the damn thing off, that would just about make the Zed perfect for me! Stupid nannying thing :bang:

till i restarted the car i was worried baout the opposite and the TC light never comeing back on aka stuck wiht the nanny forever !

im guessing its just a bug !

mine did the same..... :)

you have to keep that button press for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages... what on earth made you do that??? :lol:

i am gonna try it on every button in the car now :lol::lol::lol:

wanted to know for sure if the couple of times that i have had ESp off and cauhgt the back due to a little less grip than expected if it was me catching it or the esp lying like it does in alot of cars these days . Audi and bmw i know for sure lie , push the button and it just relaxes the settings but will still kick in just let you slip a little. to turn them OFF you hold the button , my old 3 series used to come up with all sorts of light on the dash when it was off fully , dads new audi comes up wiht all these !!! and warnings saying its off ... still cant spin the 4wd though !

I know on mine when you turn tc off it is off and remains off. :bounce:

The first time on track I was a bit heavy with the right foot of the start line and thought i had broke the clutch till I looked in the mirror and realised that nothing was broke but the tyres were having a smoke :scare:

Mine is the same as above - if you switch it off it stays off until you switch it back on again. I dont tend to drive with it on at all anymore :)

Annoyingly there doesnt seem to be any way of turning off the braking on the front wheels if it decides you are changing down too hard but it doesnt seem to interfere with anything else. I can live with it :)

Annoyingly there doesnt seem to be any way of turning off the braking on the front wheels if it decides you are changing down too hard but it doesnt seem to interfere with anything else. I can live with it :)

Not sure I understand that? The braking distribution system is always active regardless of ESP on/off, but can be fooled if you're quick and want to use sharp trail braking methods. It doesn't do anything if you change down at high revs as long as you heel + toe/rev match, which you should be doing anyway if changing down hard else you'll kill the clutch in no time.

Unless yours is an autobox of course, but then I still don't see why the brakes would activate on hard changes: It's the rear wheels that could lock, not the fronts.

Correct me if I wrong (I know you will) :lol:

1 Press takes it half way off (Big brother looking over yer shoulder) hence the front braking and stability correction and a long press is totally off and stays off untill you turn the ignition key off and back on.

Think thats what I read. :teeth:

1 Press takes it half way off (Big brother looking over yer shoulder) hence the front braking and stability correction and a long press is totally off and stays off untill you turn the ignition key off and back on.

nope....press and keep pressed and it locks so that it cant be deactivated unless you restart the engine. :)

as for the big daddy and braking comments many people say all sorts happen with the esp off but i have done a good few track days and with the traction control off you can easily snog the a tyre wall or try your wrc skills off the track ;):lol:

nope....press and keep pressed and it locks so that it cant be deactivated unless you restart the engine. :)

as for the big daddy and braking comments many people say all sorts happen with the esp off but i have done a good few track days and with the traction control off you can easily snog the a tyre wall or try your wrc skills off the track ;):lol:

I think the most usless piece if kit on your Z my friend is the Traction control, I bet your never driver with it on from day 1.

Well you wouldn't think so with the amount of tyres you killed in just short of 2 years. :lol::lol::lol:

I think the most usless piece if kit on your Z my friend is the Traction control, I bet your never driver with it on from day 1.

Well you wouldn't think so with the amount of tyres you killed in just short of 2 years. :lol::lol::lol:

Nope that is not true...always on on motorway trips and heavy rain...i am scared of aquaplaning :dry:

for anything else needs to be off...especially after i changed to fidanza and exedy fly/clutch...mind you a racelogic tc is here ready to go on the car ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Can I just confirm this?-

When I turn the esp off, the brake distribution stays active.

Is this corrrect? Cheers.

Yup this is correct :thumbs: even when your ESP is off the brake LSD system and the ABS (some people think these are one in the same - they are not) continue to function.

Some people complain the ESP on the zed is too intrusive - I'd have to disagree- and I'll freely admit that until I learnt the track at Knockhill I kept it on :shrug:

Can I just confirm this?-

When I turn the esp off, the brake distribution stays active.

Is this corrrect? Cheers.

Yup this is correct :thumbs: even when your ESP is off the brake LSD system and the ABS (some people think these are one in the same - they are not) continue to function.

Some people complain the ESP on the zed is too intrusive - I'd have to disagree- and I'll freely admit that until I learnt the track at Knockhill I kept it on :shrug:

Cheers

So does the 350z have a LSD with friction plates in it?,

or an open diff working along with the rear brakes to transfer drive away from a spinning wheel?