Which wax?

350ash

I've had my car for 6 weeks now and I'm slowly learning more and more about detailing it. My old focus used to see a sponge 2 or 3 times a year but I'll be looking after the zed properly!

I've spent a long time looking at the detailing section here, reading Polished Bliss and scanning Detailing World but I'm still struggling to decide which wax to use. I've decided to go with a soft Dodo Juice wax but can't decide between the following:

- Rainforest Rub

- Light Fantastic

- Purple haze

My cars a Gunmetal and I'm thinking that the Purple Haze sounds like it might be good - can anyone with a GM gives me their opinions as it sounds like quite a few of you use Dodo juice products.

Also, I'll be getting some Dodo juice Red Mist as well, do people recommend the standard red mist or the red mist tropical?

Thanks!

I've used both the tropical and standard red mist - both just as good as the other.....tropical just means you have longer to work with it :thumbs:

Can't comment on those waxes you've listed haven't tried them ......go get a panel pot of supernatural :teeth:

Cheers, I'll probably go for the red mist tropical then.

Did look at the supernatural but as I'm new to waxing I figured it wasn't worth spending twice as much. Maybe once I've had the zed for a while longer and worked out what I'm doing when cleaning, waxing it etc then I might consider it!

You would probably be better off buying the Supernatural,even though it's more expensive it will last longer.

I have a pot of Swissvax Best of Show,had it 2 years and it's still half full.So that's will work out at £30 a year if it lasts 4 years which it should.

You would probably be better off buying the Supernatural,even though it's more expensive it will last longer.

I have a pot of Swissvax Best of Show,had it 2 years and it's still half full.So that's will work out at £30 a year if it lasts 4 years which it should.

Agree.

I started using Supernatural on my GM. Its awesome. Panel pot is fairly cheap and it goes a long way and is easy to apply. Tim from Envy should sort you out.

Don't forget to give her a decent clay and polish first. Prime Lime is great for that.

Then just top up with Dodo Red mist. B)

Bradders.

:lol: Its good stuff though. Its a spray on when the car is still slightly wet, leaves the car gleaming and contains carnuba wax and smells amazing. I love it - but then I never seem to have time to do it the long way lately!

Any quality wax will suffice really.

It's the prep underneath that matters anyway.

A good wax will still look rubbish on an unprepared car.

+1, although I swear by DD Supernatural, the biggest difference I made to my car was to give it a good correction detail with a random orbit buffer (kestrel DA6). Then its dead easy to keep tip top with a clean, clay, quick polish (with a bit of Lime Prime) and wax. Preperation is key ;)

:lol: Its good stuff though. Its a spray on when the car is still slightly wet, leaves the car gleaming and contains carnuba wax and smells amazing. I love it - but then I never seem to have time to do it the long way lately!

:lol::lol:

Agree.

I started using Supernatural on my GM. Its awesome. Panel pot is fairly cheap and it goes a long way and is easy to apply. Tim from Envy should sort you out.

Don't forget to give her a decent clay and polish first. Prime Lime is great for that.

Bradders.

I am very embarrased to ask but I had a banger for as long as I can remember (main car has been a motorbike up to now) so have never had to put this level of time and effort in to polishing a car but now I have a Silver roadster I have the bug. Thing is I don't have a bloody clue... really :surrender:

What is a clay and polish?? I gave it a wash and dry at the weekend but nervous about using polish on metallic car....

Can someone waste 5 mins of their life to go back to basics...

(how embarrased am I!)

I am very embarrased to ask but I had a banger for as long as I can remember (main car has been a motorbike up to now) so have never had to put this level of time and effort in to polishing a car but now I have a Silver roadster I have the bug. Thing is I don't have a bloody clue... really :surrender:

What is a clay and polish?? I gave it a wash and dry at the weekend but nervous about using polish on metallic car....

(how embarrased am I!)

I found this thread in the link below really useful when I was learning about some of this stuff :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2878

Agree.

Bradders.

(how embarrased am I!)

Very basics are:

1) Wash with mitt(not sponge! Scratches!) with good car shampoo(not Washing up liquid) and "two bucket method" Tube or Google that.

2) Dry with Meguirs water magnet(manmade shammy)

3) Clay see link above

4) Gentle hand Polish using a good microfibre cloth, nothing too vigorous, take your time as this is important to get a nice finish- Takes out swirl marks and cleans paint (Dodo Prime Lime, smells nice too ;) )

5) Wax and buff off 5-10mins later, do a panel at a time (any good quality, I like Supernatural from Dodo)

6) Cold Beer and admire

7) Post piccies ;-)

Could write pages but hope this gives you a general idea. PM me is you want and I'll give you a bell to fill in any blanks.

If you are North East can always meet up and show you my detail kit ;)

Bradders

With regard to polishing, just use any polish recommended on here and you cant really go wrong by hand. The abrasives in them are so minimal, unless you are using a machine polisher, you cant exert enough pressure to work them in too much. Most also have diminishing abrasives, which mean as you work them, they break down, meaning you can never rub them in too much. Something like Dodo Lime Prime, by hand, you cant do it wrong :thumbs:

Goes without saying that you should use a good clean microfibre cloth to remove it, and keep turning/folding the cloth.

That is superb!! Many thanks indeed. I think I cheated getting the Silver one (black was and still is my fave to be honest) but the downsides are I don't get as obvious a finish as I would with gun metal or coloured option. I am sure it will look great but nothing better than a highly glossed colour finish.

Gonna go try and prove myself wrong. Pics to follow.....

:thumbs: