Who else remembers 100 baud ?

rich5259

Just watching Ashes to Ashes and saw an old dot matrix line printer - reminded me of the 110 baud modem I used to contact Dunton from Trafford House in Basildon back in 1979. It was so slow even I could type faster than the teletype :lol:

As I recall there was a game we played at lunchtime with descriptions of rooms and giving directions - had "spelunking today" in it but I forget what it was called. It started off with you being in a room with 1 door and a table, something was on the table and there might have been a well in the room. Anyone else old enough to remember this?

Just watching Ashes to Ashes and saw an old dot matrix line printer - reminded me of the 110 baud modem I used to contact Dunton from Trafford House in Basildon back in 1979. It was so slow even I could type faster than the teletype :lol:

As I recall there was a game we played at lunchtime with descriptions of rooms and giving directions - had "spelunking today" in it but I forget what it was called. It started off with you being in a room with 1 door and a table, something was on the table and there might have been a well in the room. Anyone else old enough to remember this?

I remember punched tape output :scare:

I have an AlgolW manual somewhere and made punched cards at University in 1978 - glad I didn't drop mine

I have an AlgolW manual somewhere and made punched cards at University in 1978 - glad I didn't drop mine

Algol ohhhhhhhhhhh ALGOL remind me what it stands for .......... fortran ahhhhhhhhhh FORTRAN ..... I used to be an expert

Algol ohhhhhhhhhhh ALGOL remind me what it stands for .......... fortran ahhhhhhhhhh FORTRAN ..... I used to be an expert

the young ones have gone a bit quiet :wave: bet they think it all started with MSDos :lol:

stolen from wiki

ALGOL (short for ALGOrithmic Language) is a family of imperative computer programming languages originally developed in the mid 1950s which greatly influenced many other languages and became the de facto way algorithms were described in textbooks and academic works for almost the next 30 years. It was designed to avoid some of the perceived problems with FORTRAN and eventually gave rise to many other programming languages, including BCPL, B, Pascal, Simula, C, and many others. ALGOL introduced code blocks and the begin and end pairs for delimiting them and it was also the first language implementing nested function definitions with lexical scope. Fragments of ALGOL-like syntax are sometimes still used as pseudocode (notations used to describe algorithms for human readers).

The joys of having to do all the navigation calculations using logs has never been forgotten. :wacko:

Great Circle Distance Formula using decimal degrees:

3963.0 * arccos[sin(lat1/57.2958) * sin(lat2/57.2958) + cos(lat1/57.2958) * cos(lat2/57.2958) * cos(lon2/57.2958 -lon1/57.2958)]

And taking sights six times a day was fun. No calculators then.

HAC.MZD=HAV TZD-HAV COS L COS D

Where

MZD = Meridian Zenith Distance TZD = True Zenith Distance H = Local Hour Angle L = DR Latitude D = Declination

Ahhhhh logarithms and the days before the calculator ......yes I remember now - all my survey calcs using sine and cosine rules ... all the setting out of road curves with vertical and horizontal transition radii ........ weeks and weeks of time wasted when I could have been at the pub or chasing girls lol

Anyone remember the first teaching language for secondry school back in ...?1972 CESIL was its name cant remember what it stood for though now..maybe computer education (for) secondary school ?????? language. Then of course what about the slide rules.....

Never heard of it but then I left school in 1964, however good old Wiki remembers

Cesil, or Computer Education in Schools Instruction Language, was a programming language designed to introduce pupils in British schools to Assembler. It is rather difficult to define it as high or low level. It has a total of fourteen instructions:

* Load value - place the immediate value or the contents of the variable named in the accumulator.

* Store variable - place the contents of the accumulator in the variable.

* Jump label - transfer control to location labelled.

* Jineg label - transfer control to location labelled if the accumulator contains a negative value.

* Jizero label - transfer control to location labelled if the accumulator contains zero.

* Print literal - output the following string, delimited by single quotes.

* Line - output a carriage return

* In - allow user to input a numerical value from the console.

* Out - Output the contents of the accumulator as a decimal integer, signed if negative.

* Add value - add the variable or immediate integer value to the accumulator.

* Subtract value - subtract the variable or immediate integer from the accumulator.

* Multiply value - place the product of the accumulator and the variable or immediate integer in the accumulator.

* Divide value - place the contents of the accumulator divided by the value in the accumulator.

* Halt - return control to console.

My first connection was a 14.4kbps modem. I have seen an audio coupler being used though. Speedy stuff!

Crazy to think that my internet connection speed is nearly the same as my internal network speed now and will over take it by the year end unless I upgrade! :lol: